It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A simple guide to staying away from GMO Products

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Simply put, if you want to avoid GMO products use this system moving forward...

Short, sweet and straight to the point...

Mods- ran a search didn't see this photo shown...
edit on 21-9-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I've seen this before.. not the photo, but the information. Never knew if it were entirely true or not. Is it universal throughout all grocery stores? I'm just afraid that they've mixed them up or something and I'll start mistakenly trying to buy GM

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Thank you for this information. I am going shopping this weekend and I am anxious now to read all the coded labels.

If people take the time to read the code numbers; they can improve their health and make some positive changes!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by bacci0909
I've seen this before.. not the photo, but the information. Never knew if it were entirely true or not. Is it universal throughout all grocery stores? I'm just afraid that they've mixed them up or something and I'll start mistakenly trying to buy GM

Yea, I'm not 100% sure that its totally accurate, but I feel like its a good guide nevertheless to work off of... But it is reported to be accurate, I guess only time will tell, and maybe someone will find a issue down the road, but it seems legit thus far...
edit on 21-9-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
plucodes.com...

This site lets you put in the code and it tells you where the fruit vegetable came from. I tried it on a few things from my fridge seems to work on everything I tried

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by jhn7537

Thank you for this information. I am going shopping this weekend and I am anxious now to read all the coded labels.

If people take the time to read the code numbers; they can improve their health and make some positive changes!

You're very welcome... I came across this information, did a little research online and found other sites that showed this system too... I wonder if GMO producers will smarten up to this and change their codes... I also wonder if they are allowed to change their codes they put on their produce

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Thank you for the information! I have a good size garden and been doing a lot of canning this year.
What I can't grow like corn cause you need such a large area. I have been buying locally and canning it.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
This only applies to nations who have GMO labelling.

We in Canada do not. There is no requirement to label food as Organic, Standard or GMO.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I have been alert to these codes for more than a year, but what about frozen and canned goods, how do we know how these items have been grown. And how about dry goods, rice, beans, as well as grains like flour or cereal?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

How is that even possible?? That honestly sucks, you should be able to know where your food is coming from (and how its produced).... Sorry to hear that...

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
In Canada about a year or so the produce used to say where it was from. It had the State that it was grown in. Now it just says product of USA.
I asked the clerk about it once and he had no idea what state it was from.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Actually neither does the United States. Most of the food that isn't listed 'organic' contains GMO. Even some of the organic stuff is GMO in the end. Think about Organic Beef, are they feeding them GMO style food? IF so, how is the actual beef not GMO in the end?

Some Info

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Yea that makes sense, because the majority of the GMO produced products we see today are soy, flour, wheat and those products end up going into processed foods that I eat and processed foods the animals I eat, eat...

I guess it would be nearly impossible to avoid all GMO products today, unless you went off the grid and ate only wild items... But it cant hurt to try to avoid the GMO products when you have the chance too, ya know?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I eat no processed foods, I get my veggies and meats from locals.

I eat 0 corn, or anything that's been corn fed.

I also do not buy imported produce or food that has a 'shelf life' so to speak.

It's more expensive, and it's hard work, but I'll be damned if I let Monsanto the Death Cult kill me and my family.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
When I was a kid my grandmother made me work in her garden, I hated it. She used to say “Someday you’ll thank me!”

I guess she was right.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by GuitarHeroBear
When I was a kid my grandmother made me work in her garden, I hated it. She used to say “Someday you’ll thank me!”

I guess she was right.

Looking back at my grandparents, they DID everything the right way... My grandfather was a jack of ALL trades, he could literally build or fix anything (I'm sure everyone's grandparents were like that)... And my Grandma also had a nice size farm where they grew their own stuff... They had it right back then... Nowadays, most people cant do anything... Kind of sad really...

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by jhn7537

I eat no processed foods, I get my veggies and meats from locals.

I eat 0 corn, or anything that's been corn fed.

I also do not buy imported produce or food that has a 'shelf life' so to speak.

It's more expensive, and it's hard work, but I'll be damned if I let Monsanto the Death Cult kill me and my family.

~Tenth

I imagine that is VERY expensive... But at least you know you're getting the best for you and your family.. Was it hard to get to that place? How long have you been doing this for? Years?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Three items...

1 - Even if a food item was not grown from GMO seed it still can contain some GMO DNA. It is almost impossible, for just one example, to grow non GMO corn anywhere near GMO corn without some degree of cross pollination. this can apply to any crop that is pollinated to start the growth of the fruit or vegetable. All you need is to have your non GMO crop downwind of a GMO crop and some of your crop will become a GMO hybrid.

2 - As to the codes, I checked out the PLU lookup site and it seems to work for identifying the produce but I already knew that my tomato was a tomato and likewise for my avocado. But I will definitely be on the lookout for the code that indicates a GMO crop.

3 - I have tried several diets to lose weight for years now and none of them worked. The starvation diets are the worst since you end up binging uncontrollably after a while. I have always thought that I have a metabolic problem since even "reasonable" diets didn't seem to work for me. But I have just recently watched the video "Forks Over Knives" and was so impressed that I bought it and the companion book from Amazon.com. I am just getting started with the changeover to my diet in the last two weeks. I am happy to announce that I got off of my bathroom scale this morning at the lowest weight I have weighed in well over two years. And all of that without starving myself. The basis of the diet is to replace meat and dairy with plant based foods. This must be done carefully and slowly to avoid health problems caused by missing nutrients. But in the last two weeks I have been replacing much of what I used to eat from the meat, dairy and pasta groups with fresh produce. I am still able to satisfy my hunger any time I want if I stick to fresh produce. One of my favorite snacks and substitute for as much as one meal a day is to slice up an avocado and a tomato then arrange them on a plate. Then I sprinkle them liberally with one of the many Mrs. Dash seasoning mixes. That is topped with a small amount of Romano or Parmesan cheese fresh grated onto the dish. This is a far cry better than my usual snacks of chips & dip, buttered pasta, meaty and cheesy sandwich and the like.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by jhn7537

Think about Organic Beef, are they feeding them GMO style food? IF so, how is the actual beef not GMO in the end?

~Tenth

sorry if i've screwed up the quoting. anyways, the beef is not GMO in the end for the same reason that you are currently not a cow-fish-chicken-shrimp-carrot-wheat-apple-turnip-man.

while tiny amounts of DNA can be mutated or exchanged through various means (mating lol) and expression of DNA can be influenced by various factors, human beings (and animals) for the most part stick to the original DNA they was brung with instead of just absorbing traits from their food like some kind of crazy genetic Katamari Damashii.
edit on 2012/9/23 by modulo because: needed more sarcasm, also forgot to mention the animals, i've been awake for like 42 hours

top topics

join