It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Out with the old ATS and in with the new, who is with me?!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by RobinB022
reply to post by Propulsion

Most would be lost if they didn’t have a computer or the Xbox. If they didn’t have such things, they would be running around like zombies with no direction what’s so ever. Kids today would have you believe they know it all, but actually, they know nothing! Nodda! Your egos are astounding! AND it’s as clear as night and day!

And just whose fault is this, the kids or the parents. I'm 52 yrs [of age] and I assure you that kids are (in a large part) a product of their environment. Were they expected to raise themselves, because after all.. isn't it the parents who bought all of those X-Box games. We are to lead our young and they should in time, exceed our own intelligence, not be stunted by it.

Peace
I would agree, parental guidance is the key component to the problem. I have five (5) children, and they spend very little time on the computers, TV, and/or video games. I try to get my children out in the real world as much as possible. I volunteer at a homeless shelter (Catholic Charities) downtown Denver once a week. At least once a month, I bring my children to shelter to get a feel of the real world. I don’t force my kids to go, they actually enjoy helping out. Not only does it help increase my children’s socialization skills, but it also reminds us how much really have. I also have flow blown MS, and I try to count my blessings each day. There are times when I wake-up in the morning not being able to walk, and though it is as frustrating as hell, there are MANY more people out there who have it a lot worse than I do.

I guess it begs to ask the question….”Is the world (more specifically America), a better place for our children? Along with the lack of parental guidance, we also have an education system which is lacking in pretty much in every area imaginable. Three of my children go to a private school, and the other two are home schooled. My two that are homed schooled, exceed their peers by three grade levels. Parents need to get their priorities straight. We live in a society where everyone has to keep up with the Jones’s. Everything is based on the shoes on our feet, close we wear, car we drive, home we have, job, people we know. Etc... And of course if we want those things, Mom and Dad have to be working 2+ jobs to keep up. Most children go by example. And who is giving them the tools to move forward in a productive positive way? Would it be Lady Gaga, YouTube, or the Kardashians? If they’re not learning it from our parents, than who?

The fact of the matter is that America is going to hell in a hand basket. Do you think our children will make it any better than what it is now? I don’t think so. Our children and their lack of even the most basic of skills will be our demise.

edit on 23-9-2012 by Propulsion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Propulsion

The fact of the matter is that America is going to hell in a hand basket. Do you think our children will make it any better than what it is now? I don’t think so. Our children and their lack of even the most basic of skills will be our demise.

I can't disagree with that
Even though I like to think that I gave my sons some great skills (& I still do try, even though they are grown), there is no doubt that they will tend to go along with the ebb and flow that the rest of their generation are taking. I don't know how this generation will do, but I certainly won't sit in judgement of them as a whole.. considering everything, and there is so very much to take into consideration...

Don't want to sway off topic here in the thread, but I must say that I admire you home schooling and taking your children to shelter (volunteer-Catholic Charities) and with MS no less!! I can't walk in mornings either, so I can truly empathize with that kind of pain.

Younger generations coming up always get a lot of flack from the older generations I think.. but that might be the way it's supposed to be?? Things change, but not overnight.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatKnot
How did th
is come to an argument about age? Ideas are good regardless of age or how long somebody has been here. The real squabble should be about numbers. The number of members has increase exponentially. So in turn the number of lame posts has also increased.
I would argue that the age of author has no bearing on how lame the post is on this site.
edit on 21-9-2012 by WhatKnot because: ehh

edit on 21-9-2012 by WhatKnot because: e

edit on 21-9-2012 by WhatKnot because: (no reason given)

I would argue just the opposite. What makes you think the ideas these kids have are "good?" If they were typically "good" your position would stand... however they overwhelming are not "good" but instead are immature and half-baked and not worth considering or wasting time upon.

Honestly, most with a brain aren't interested in the opinion of women who've proved they can't raise kids, or the opinions of the kids that they raised either. You don't yet realize it but one day you will. My opinion is that all these new members (kids) have ruined ATS.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

You wanna know why everyone likes the old ATS?

Because the old ATS was when people were allowed to post things that they wanted to post. Even the slightest little rule breaking will get your threads removed now. That's why you don't see any decent threads anymore. Personally, I think this website has been taken over by the feds. Just my thought, though.

So... no, I'm not with you.

This is why I have my own website, where people can express opinions freely, like real alternative thinkers, not just hypocrites claiming to "deny ignorance."

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

I don't deny you your opinion, but what I don't understand is why you still come here? If it is really that bad, what brings you back for more?

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Because, despite the hypocritical rule enforcement, this site is pretty good for meeting other people who have the same interests in conspiracies as I do.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX
Even the slightest little rule breaking will get your threads removed now.

We've had strict rules of decorum, and civility -- along with certain topics being forbidden -- since late-2004... around the time we started getting really popular.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Yes, but there's also been a lot of controversy about how the rules are enforced, because a lot of people on ATS don't think the way the rules are enforced by the moderators and owners is fair. I'm not trying to insult the site or anything, it just seems more strict than it used to be. I haven't had an account on this site for long, but I've known other people who have, and I used to browse for cool topics on the site all the time. From what I, and my friends, and wikipedia have observed, it has gotten more strict. All I'm saying.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX
but there's also been a lot of controversy about how the rules are enforced

Only in the minds of those on the receiving end of the need for enforcement.

because a lot of people on ATS don't think the way the rules are enforced by the moderators and owners is fair.

boo-hoo

Seriously. We have a model which is responsible for creating one of the most successful discussion forums -- on any topic -- brining millions of readers every month, and a few selfishly entitled have issue with the "big bad mods" enforcing the rules that should be no one's surprise?

If 0.1% of all the people who visited last year were people who "think the way the rules are enforced by the moderators and owners is unfair" it would be just over 67,000 people. I hardly think the real number is above 100.

it just seems more strict than it used to be.

No more than ever, less than some periods.

I haven't had an account on this site for long, but I've known other people who have, and I used to browse for cool topics on the site all the time. From what I, and my friends, and wikipedia have observed, it has gotten more strict.

No, there's just a higher critical mass of banned miscreants, fools, and trolls sitting idly by their computers bitching and moaning over the strict policies at the big bad ATS. And also making up silly immature fantasy stories about supposed government involvement.

Please.

Our rules have worked well for 8 years. A great deal has changed in that time as we evolve with the Internet, but the rules have not, and will not.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

LOL!!

So discussion closed?

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join