It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio Death Row Inmate says he is too fat to execute

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
www.dailynews.com...

Ronald Post, who shot and killed a hotel clerk in northern Ohio almost 30 years ago, said his weight, vein access, scar tissue, depression and other medical problems raise the likelihood his executioners would encounter severe problems. He's also so big that the execution gurney might not hold him, lawyers for Post said in federal court papers filed Friday.

So, he got fat in prison. He might actually be the SMARTEST inmate yet. What a defense...I got fat while on death row and now my defense is that I am too fat to execute.

With all of today's medical advances, I am quite sure the state of Ohio can find a gurney to house his mass, and hire a doctor capable of delivering the lethal dose of drug to properly execute him.

I am not a huge advocate of death row, but I am really on the fence about this one. Part of me really feels this guy is being a coward.

www.drc.ohio.gov...

He has been in prison since 1985 for this crime. Surely he has exhausted every other single method of avoiding execution so I feel this is a ploy to not pay his debt to society.

Aside from the normal death penalty arguments, what do you think about him using his weight as a way to avoid execution? Will we see an influx of obese death row inmates if this works? Are we feeding them too well?

Man I am seriously all over the place on this one. HELP me sort this out.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Pretty sure being a huge corpulent lard ball will not stop the doctors from finding a vein to stick the needle in. He does no that you can be given an iv in the temple, hand or foot. He's an idiot if he thinks the doctors won't be able to find a injection point.
edit on 19-9-2012 by BASSPLYR because: Man I really am beginning to hate my iPhone and it's stupid autocorrect

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Than Skip his last meal

Its a last ditch effort to keep him from frying.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Well there's always the electric chair....

fried pork rinds, anyone?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
He's an idiot. They'll simply adjust the meds to accommodate his extra blubber.

These people weren't born yesterday.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by JValhalla
Than Skip his last meal

I am not so sure this all about him trying to find a way around his sentence. If anyone actually read the article you would see that the inmate actually has a valid point. Showing examples of previous executions that took much longer due to the size of the inmate. A prison official stating plainly that due to this inmates size, he could experience a "torturous" death.

The article then goes on to mention how the inmate attempted to lose weight and even rode the Prison's exercise bike until it broke under his weight- this is not the actions of a person who is trying to avoid his sentence.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
eyeball

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

Originally posted by JValhalla
Than Skip his last meal

I am not so sure this all about him trying to find a way around his sentence. If anyone actually read the article you would see that the inmate actually has a valid point. Showing examples of previous executions that took much longer due to the size of the inmate. A prison official stating plainly that due to this inmates size, he could experience a "torturous" death.

The article then goes on to mention how the inmate attempted to lose weight and even rode the Prison's exercise bike until it broke under his weight- this is not the actions of a person who is trying to avoid his sentence.

Sociopaths are smart. They are always thinking steps ahead of what an average person would normally think. Are you sure he's not trying to avoid his sentence because of the fact he broke the exercise bike under his own weight? Maybe he knew it would break, and decided to give it a shot just so people would actually think he wants to go through with his sentence. Just good old classic reverse psychology. He 30 years to think of something, and I'm pretty sure he is more clever than what he seems.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

Ronald Post, who shot and killed a hotel clerk in northern Ohio almost 30 years ago, said his weight, vein access, scar tissue, depression and other medical problems raise the likelihood his executioners would encounter severe problems. He's also so big that the execution gurney might not hold him, lawyers for Post said in federal court papers filed Friday.

So drag him to the firing line or the gallows?

The gas chamber doesn’t discriminate against the horizontally challenged murderers either.

So, he got fat in prison.

I’m not sure how that’s even possible if he’s receiving rations. That prison needs to re-evaluate it’s meal program if this is the case. They should get 2 hots and cot….bread and soup will suffice.

Meh…..

I have a hard time sympathizing with a guy who took an innocent life.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

my roommate and were having a discussion the other day about prisoners and death row and
as the room got more cloudy with smoke we start thinking of new ways to deal with killers as opposed to feeding and housing them for years and then spending even more $ to kill them. For the record i believe all men and women are responsible for there own actions and although i have many issues on how the Judaical system is ran and government in general. I believe if one is willing to kill they must be ready to be killed. Anyway i suggested that instead of feeding and paying to kill them years later we should simply find a series of uninhabited islands that provide the necessity of life(food, water, shelter) and place them there to live off the land with no way to get off and security measures in place to keep them on the island which i assure u would be way cheaper than our current system. Now mind you this island is only for people that are on death row. Here is the kicker, those on death row would have a choice stay in the system and be killed by or government for there crimes or go to this island and live freely, but in order to gain freedom they had to go head to head with a hungry predator capable of killing a man( or in some cases packs of predators, wolves and such) in an arena and there only weapon is a bowie knife, there choice of predator and had one day to prepare on the island. If they live and proceed to kill the predator they gain freedom to live the rest there lives on the island providing for themselves and there first meal would be there fresh kill(so the animal was not killed for sport only) If they lose they die and become a meal. oh yeah this is all on pay per view so this makes money instead of spending money.

about the fat guy though he would a a good meal for a pack of wolves.
edit on 19-9-2012 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
He shot a hotel clerk. So shoot him!

A bullet will easily put an end to his miserable, useless existence.

That fat tub o' lard deserves it.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
No one is too fat for a bullet in the head.

30 years on death row is ridiculous! In China its a lot like an assembly line, no one waits 30 years.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocHolidaze
reply to post by k21968

my roommate and were having a discussion the other day about prisoners and death row and
as the room got more cloudy with smoke we start thinking of new ways to deal with killers as opposed to feeding and housing them for years and then spending even more $ to kill them. For the record i believe all men and women are responsible for there own actions and although i have many issues on how the Judaical system is ran and government in general. I believe if one is willing to kill they must be ready to be killed. Anyway i suggested that instead of feeding and paying to kill them years later we should simply find a series of uninhabited islands that provide the necessity of life(food, water, shelter) and place them there to live off the land with no way to get off and security measures in place to keep them on the island which i assure u would be way cheaper than our current system. Now mind you this island is only for people that are on death row. Here is the kicker, those on death row would have a choice stay in the system and be killed by or government for there crimes or go to this island and live freely, but in order to gain freedom they had to go head to head with a hungry predator capable of killing a man( or in some cases packs of predators, wolves and such) in an arena and there only weapon is a bowie knife, there choice of predator and had one day to prepare on the island. If they live and proceed to kill the predator they gain freedom to live the rest there lives on the island providing for themselves and there first meal would be there fresh kill(so the animal was not killed for sport only) If they lose they die and become a meal. oh yeah this is all on pay per view so this makes money instead of spending money.

about the fat guy though he would a a good meal for a pack of wolves.
edit on 19-9-2012 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

Wasn't that pretty much the plan for Australia, back in the day? Australian Penal Colonies

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I admit...In general I am not a fan of the death penalty. But in this case, this sounds like a guy trying to trick the system and get out of his punishment.

All I can say to that is he should have thought about that before he did the crime. What's that saying? Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

They will find a way. It's just a shame that he put himself in a situation to be up for the death penalty, to begin with.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
How the hell do you get to 480lbs in prison?

Something is SERIOUSLY wrong with our judicial system!

So we go around the world and bomb innocent people, while this guilty fat b*stard lives to become Jabba The Fricken Hut!

Aggggghhhhh!

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

I forgot what it's called but it's like a mini grocery store in prison. They buy soap and shampoo, pens and paper and stuff, and all kinds of junk food like chips and candy bars and soda.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by rtyfx
[mo

It is called the comissary. I worked at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville OH from 1988-1990. I was only 20 and my dad made me quit because he was terrified I was going to get killed. Sure enough, a teacher was murdered in the ladies room about a month later. Her name was Beverly Taylor.

I also feel that there are other ways to execute an inmate. Maybe the state of Ohio should offer him alternatives such as hanging, firing squad, etc. They are so concerned about causing the inmate any discomfort during the execution process, but did the condemned show any mercy toward the victims?

I dont want to get into a religous dispute...but the Bible says an eye for an eye. Maybe the death penalty would be a better deterrant if the state used the same method to execute the inmate that the inmate used to kill his /her victims.

I am on the fence when it comes to the death penalty because our legal system is so flawed. I KNOW there are inmates on death row who are innocent and for them to be killed by the state would be a terrible injustice. However, something has to be done.

It is a horrible horrible world we live in.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by rtyfx

It's called a commissary I think. But I don't feel bad for this guy.He wasn't thinking about how the person he killed felt. And as someone else said 30 years is way too long on death row.He needs to die,asap instead of being a drain on the system any longer.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

Who is paying for his defense? If he has a public offender, are taxes paying for his defense? If so this is ludricrous and an injustice to everyone else but him.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

I also feel that there are other ways to execute an inmate. Maybe the state of Ohio should offer him alternatives such as hanging, firing squad, etc. They are so concerned about causing the inmate any discomfort during the execution process, but did the condemned show any mercy toward the victims?

That is the most ridiculous part of the death penalty process. Someone please tell me how one of the oldest forms of execution in the world is inhumane; the Guillotine?

That’s INSTANT and CHEAP and should be a deterrent!

I dont want to get into a religous dispute...but the Bible says an eye for an eye. Maybe the death penalty would be a better deterrant if the state used the same method to execute the inmate that the inmate used to kill his /her victims.

Though I understand your argument, I think we’d be asking a lot of the person who has to carry out these punishments. I don’t think duplicating the means of death is necessary.

Getting your head lobbed off in a guillotine should be enough to make people think twice!

edit on 19-9-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3 >>

join