It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French Magazine Runs Cartoons That Mock Muhammad

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSnow

Riiiight. You go there buddy, don't let reality get in the way!

+12 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Then those hundreds of thousands of people need to move to another country.
It's bad enough the way our governments steal our freedoms now we have to give them up to appease immigrants?

Sounds like the want a culture war, they should be careful what they demand. And if the cartoon offends them, they are free not to read it.

Millions have died to leave us the freedoms we supposedly enjoy.
So we should give them up so a few hundred more possibly won't die?
edit on 19-9-2012 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Actually, its irrelevent. Period. Didn't France rule on not showing that video? Which would violate freedom?

Perhaps the media is challenging that, have you ever thought there may be a battle going between the white hats and the dark hats. I imagine a lot of people are really angry at Darth Vader and all the harm he has caused to earth and humanity, and holding humans hostage all the time.

And mohummad didn't exist IMO! And the Brotherhood and Sharia is an evil theocracy/fascist, abusive, regressives system

I'd like it all in the open, and consider this fair game, just like the freedom to post all the anti Christian stuff that exists.

SAME DEAL!!!!

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
A little fuel for the fire that's burning. Why does it seem that some people are instigating this thing?

Because even negative attention is attention. There are a lot of people who thrive off that crap. Personally, I think these people who riot are a few cells short of an entire brain.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Can a someone explain to me why they get so angry about a joke? Like if someone was telling a joke about Jesus I wouldn't want to murder that person so why do some Muslims? Why can't they take a joke?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by docgreen15

Im afraid if you dont get it you cant get it. And that's a good thing.

I dont get it.

I just have to write it off as being a behavior of an alien species unknown to me or my world.

The US and the UK sees people killing each other over sports team identification.

These people who fight and kill over trivial things are another species entirely. They have to be. No other explanation makes any sense. Like some sort of neanderthal that didnt die out.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Anyone got a link to the images?
Especially interested to see if this mag really does depict all 'prophets' as caricatures. If so, it would seem they are making a valid and useful point.

I'm all for respect and acceptance, but it seems a lot of muslims aren't. Perhaps it will be beneficial in the long term to keep cutting into this abscess and letting the puss out!

Surely at some point, those who wish to have their beliefs seen as useful to society (the moderate religious adherents) will raise their voices collectively and castagate the fundies themselves.

In any case, nothing changes for the good until sufficient numbers of people have experienced enough suffering to actually step up and be counted.

ETA: here's the link to the website of the magazine: www.charliehebdo.fr...
Looks like a satirical rag that pokes fun at everything, with a soft spot for religion.
My french isn't good enough for a 10 second hunt, but I'll give it a shot later.
edit on 19-9-2012 by RogerT3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

It may be utterly beyond understanding for us, that anyone could take a "joke" like this as poorly as the Muslim community do, but there again, it will be hard for anyone who is either not religious, or not a member of the religion in question to understand these things.

That does not mean that one ought not respect a persons religion, and avoid poking fun at it. Personally speaking, I think that any slur or action which victimises or belittles any individual sector of a community or indeed any nation or group on the face of the earth, ought to be met with a blade to the throat, because such behavior smacks of racism, jackboots, and un-naturally shaped moustaches, and we have had enough of that in Europe to last the entire lifetime of mankind.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Whilst i understand your sentiment, in all honesty i take the opposite view. I actually think that anything is fair game for humour.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
.... the right to freedom of speech comes with a huge responsibility, as do many of the more fundamental human rights. In this specific instance, the people who decided to publish this material have failed to uphold thier responsibilites, despite thier obvious willingness to use thier rights. In my opinion, the right to free speech cannot be seperated from the responsibility one carries to be sensible, respectful, and decent in what one says. They are like the opposing ends of a magnet, ying and yang, bread and butter.

Bravo, well said. This is what has been itching at me in all these discussions on this subject, in which the "right" to do this is repeatedly proclaimed. There are many things we have the "right" to do- that is sort of seperate from whether or not they are the "right" things to do ethically.

We have the right to not say thank you or please to each other. Yet we teach our kids it is the right thing to do and expect it from them, and each other, no?
It is not because I say this film (and now, this journal cover) is in bad taste and is lacking in tact that I am ALSO saying it should be made illegal to do so.

I have never been able to understand people who do things just because it is forbidden, or to prove that they can.
If you are doing that, you are just as manipulated as those that ony do what they are told to do- either way, it is what is dictated that determines your choice!
All you have to do to manipulate such "rebels" is to tell them not to do everything you want them to do.

If that magazine wanted to make some points about free speech, they could have done it at any time, but it didn't. It chose this moment, when it was guaranteed to cause uproar (and publicity). It's just opportunistic. Which is LEGAL, yes, we have the RIGHT, but to me it isn't the right thing to do.

Do I think it should therefore be made illegal? No. It means I will not invest and encourage it. I will not buy that journal, not today, not in the future. I will not watch that stupid film and will not speak of it around me, giving it publicity.
But I certainly won't pretend that it was a fine thing to do, just because I am a supporter of free speech!
I will exercise my responsibility as a free speaker.
edit on 19-9-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

Personally speaking, I think that any slur or action which victimises or belittles any individual sector of a community or indeed any nation or group on the face of the earth, ought to be met with a blade to the throat, because such behavior smacks of racism, jackboots, and un-naturally shaped moustaches, and we have had enough of that in Europe to last the entire lifetime of mankind.

I don't think you have thought that through.

Anyone can claim ANYTHING offends them or pokes fun at them.

I can claim that MacDonalds adverts offend (yes and maybe even victimises and belittles) my sense of healthy eating, especially when they aim their garbage at kids.

I really don't believe you are suggesting slitting the throats of everyone at MacD's HQ and all the advertising company execs too - are you? (and that was a rushed, rather lame example - I bet others can come up with plenty of additional 'exceptions' with a bit more relevance and bite)!

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Can't let them scare you. If you feel like you need to express
yourself this way, who are you or I to Violently stop
them.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I suppose then, that if you find walking up to me in the street, and calling my sister a woman of purchaseable honour really really funny, that you would do it? Would you be the sort to run off to the police when I damn near choke you to death with your own tie?

Thats what happened last time someone had a laugh at my sisters expense in my presence. I feel pretty much fine about my reaction to that stimulus, regardless of how irrational that might seem. I think thats why I can nearly empathise with the Muslims in this scenario. I know peace, and I love it, but there are some things I cannot laugh about. So what if the things the Muslims get the red mist over are different to the ones you or I might? We are all different, and the most important thing about learning to get along is both sides of this arguement being prepared to respect eachothers red mist factors.

In short, if we dont pee in thier punch, they wont pee in ours.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
The cartoons are already published.

www.cnn.com...

There is also the official website of the magazine but due to the high traffic, at the moment is unreachable.

www.charliehebdo.fr...

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

French Magazine Runs Cartoons That Mock Muhammad

GOOD FOR THEM! There are political cartoons nailing everyone on the planet. There is no reason for Islam to be exempt simply because the have a bunch of bullies in their ranks. Welcome to 2012 AD .. where the truth is told in jest and in political cartoons. Perhaps the upset muslims should read the cartoons and LEARN from them. Muhammad did a whole lotta' bad stuff and he made himself an easy target to make fun of.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I would say that is a very random example to attempt to use. Context is the key and the context of a random walking up to you and insulting your sister like that would be unprovoked verbal assault. That is not humour and is a bad example.

However, if that is truly how you would react to someone SAYING (not doing) something to your sister then you clearly have some serious anger management issues and need help to solve them. Why get yourself into trouble with the Police over words?
edit on 19-9-2012 by Flavian because: Clarification

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by RogerT3
I don't think you have thought that through.

Anyone can claim ANYTHING offends them or pokes fun at them.

I can claim that MacDonalds adverts offend (yes and maybe even victimises and belittles) my sense of healthy eating, especially when they aim their garbage at kids.

I really don't believe you are suggesting slitting the throats of everyone at MacD's HQ and all the advertising company execs too - are you? (and that was a rushed, rather lame example - I bet others can come up with plenty of additional 'exceptions' with a bit more relevance and bite)!

To be honest, after what that bunch have done to innocent people all over the worlds gastric proccesses, and the minds of unsuspecting members of the public, I wouldnt so much as think it over first.

Of course I am not suggesting that a person ought to be able to say that a cabbage offends them, and all cabbages must die. What I am saying is that we should be a damned sight more careful about the way we treat ethnic groups, not just in terms of governments treatment of them, but in terms of each and every person and industry learning to respect the opinions and needs of everyone equally.

If the lip service paid to equality does not filter down to street level, and permiate all segments of life,from the press to the pizza parlour, from the disk jockeys to the people in the doctors office, then there is no point in anyone having fought the Nazis, because no one has learned anything.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by docgreen15
Can a someone explain to me why they get so angry about a joke? Like if someone was telling a joke about Jesus I wouldn't want to murder that person so why do some Muslims? Why can't they take a joke?

It is much like the Christians used to be in Europe, during their rise in power- you could not say anything about God (take his name in vain), could not make a joke, could not make any comment that might be misconscrued as heretic, without getting yourself jailed or killed. It is part of the method of rising to power.

It has ways of solidifying the followers as a group. They will all discipline each other (becoming interdependant), and also easily provided with "common targets"- which are real bond creators.
These increases their force and helps them dominate territories and lands.

It was used by the US too, using Communism. We've all done it at some time, to some level or another. It's a power play. Groups do it, and individuals do it, they choose a detail, a pet peeve,of some kind or another, that they can use as an excuse to be offended by others.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Have the pictures been posted online anywhere so we can see if they are funny or not. Just so we can make up our own mind about them.

A billion and a half Muslims ticked off, rioting and destroying the middle east technological gains, history and cultural advancement for the sake of a 4th century dream of an all encompassing Caliphate. What a waste.

What the middle east really needs is for someone to invent a gender plague, for want of a better name, that would change your gender overnight. I think their biggest problem is their archaic male rule.

Don't know if it's an upside but a big region wide war would kick start the MIC companies around the world.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Bramble Iceshimmer

Given that the best thing that can happen to the world as it stands, is for the MIC to be utterly gutted, broken and violated in all the most obscene ways, and never allowed to return to life, I think it would be a downside for a faith war on the scale you suggest to kick off.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join