It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hezbollah warns US over film as death toll rises to 19

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by magma

"America must understand... the US must understand that releasing the entire film will have dangerous, very dangerous, repercussions around the world," he told yesterday's rally.

"All our people and governments must put pressure on the international community to issue international and national laws to criminalise insults of the three world religions," he said, referring to Christianity, Islam and Judaism.

Doesnt seem like much of a threat...

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
They should pull it, if people are going to get hurt or killed is it worth crying "freedom of speech" over this?

I know it's not right, and I know it goes against everything freedom of speech is supposed to mean, but you have to weigh up the costs involved.

Is it worth risking peoples lives over?

I don't think so.

I briefly considered the same thing; however, by that logic, if enough people create a stink about something, then we should just ban something? That's a slippery slope as far as rights are concerned.

reply to post by 46ACE

Freedom of speech is worth a lot of things, but not putting innocent lives in danger for the sake of a b-movie.

The point for free speech protection is to protect unpopular speech, because that is the speech most threatened.

And why i certainly neither condone the video nor the violent backlash (which is an entirely separate issue/debate), prior restraint or the banning thereafter is not something with which i can agree. If anything, i could be /prohibited/banned as direct incitement of violence (its probable intention), which i could then (maybe) agree with prohibition.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

It's kind of funny he forgot about Hinduism and Buddhism considering they are actually the 3rd and 4th major religions based on number of followers. In fact, Judaism is barely in the top 10 anymore sitting at 9th place.
Source

Anyways, giving in to their demands would be a huge sign of weakness and certainly won't clear up the problem. Nobody has the right to not be offended. They do have the right to not watch or listen to or go to places that cause offense to them. It's quite simple, but they are making it overly complex.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrianG
Sound like giving in to terrorists

Give an inch they take a mile comes to mind

I do not agree with stirring the pot, but I really don't agree with changes to appease a select few

typical BS

"a select few" ????......normal people want it pulled as well

youtube pull videos everyday...why not this offensive crap....

WE CAN ALL AGREE THAT THIS WAS NOT MADE FOR ENTERTAINMENT..its too lame...its made to incite and degrade
edit on 18-9-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
"a select few" ????......normal people want it pulled as well

youtube pull videos everyday...why not this offensive crap....

WE CAN ALL AGREE THAT THIS WAS NOT MADE FOR ENTERTAINMENT..its too lame...its made to incite and degrade

Youtube is a company with their own rules, if they want to pull the video they have every right.

HOWEVER, government cannot, nor ever should do the same.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Next time the demands will be for all of us to convert to their religion or die.

Should the play "Book of Mormon" be pulled off Broadway because it may offend some Mormons.

Should the movie "The Master" be pulled because it may offend Scientologists?

I don't believe that Muslims should be free of criticism even when they make threats. It seems that this just shows that Islam is a violent religion.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

reply to post by BrianG

But it's just a film and there is an opportunity to avoid this escalating further.

It is stupid that they are kicking off like this, but the fact remains they are, and it could get a whole lot worse.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Given that their founding documents exhort them in many places to genocidally murder those who refuse to convert . . .

how is this an ESCALATION

to their values and business as usual?

We are merely seeing more of them, more visably, more stridently saying and doing what their founding documents insist all good Muslims MUST do.

Yes, it will get worse.

The only thing that would stop it getting worse as they faithfully follow their founding documents

is to

1. take away their means of making it worse

2. convert THEM

3. exterminate THEM

I Prefer #2 and

deplore #3 . . . however, that seems to be their MUCH PREFERRED language.

They have as much choice in the language they choose, the examples they choose, the demonstrations of their faith that they choose as most anyone.

Yet, RELENTLESSLY, FAITHFULLY,

THEY VIRTUALLY INSTANTLY GO BALLISTIC.

That's THEIR CHOICE time and time and time and time and time and time and time again.

They play along until they are powerful enough in numbers, political strength or armed strength to DEMAND compliance under pain of death to the 'infidels.'

That's true REGARDLESS of anything non-Muslims do or don't do.

The film is an excuse.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Great thread topic.

For the last few days I have felt like a plastic bag spinning in the wind regarding which way to feel about all of this. There are so many pro's and con's to what is transpiring right now within our religions, cultural differences, politics, demographics, civil rights and moral obligations. Someone has really gone and poked the sleeping dragon. We've all thought about it. Some have considered it, perhaps even attempted it. But not until now in this time in history, someone has actually done it.

While we all gasp in horror, we can not help ourselves from leaning in closely to observe the outcome of this event. Regardless of which side of opposing views we reside on. At first, admittedly, my initial reaction is of distrust, disgust and moderate disdain for the Muslim religion for reacting so badly. I understand the concerns of those who fear our liberties will be at stake if we show a willingness to compromise freedom of speech by giving into demands. Especially from the leader of a known radical Islamic government.

And then on the other hand...

I can see so many reasons as to why we shouldn't hang onto the ideology that we must enforce our right of free speech. Hanging on so tightly that the sweat of our efforts prevents us from even achieving that goal. No doubt, this must be one of the most perplexing philosophical questions of all time. To-be or not-to-be. My left and right hemisphere is split directly down the middle on this.

For those that believe we should exercise that power, there was a scene in the movie "Schindler's list" that stuck with me. Schindler told an army officer who would take shots at Jews out the window during his morning smoke, "Real power comes from the ability to chose not to use that power" That is true power. And from that point on, the army officer would go around the camp "pardoning" Jews all enamored with himself. For whatever reason, this resonated within me and I consider it to be something we need to practice in this circumstance. Pull the stupid trash film and rise above the occasion. Exercise our power to decide we have freedom of speech any time we want. But now is not the time. Extend our hand to show we are tolerant of other religions and stand by our enemies to condemn the actions of a few. Minus any beheading of course.

However, there is much much more to this. The pot was stirred as someone else put it. Regardless of which camp we are on. Whether or not we agree there was right to make that garbage of a film, or ban it completely to appease the Muslims, there could be a certain outcome of balance coming. Even though morally we should never create something to incite violence like this or drive a wedge between cultures, like I said in the beginning, this is a car wreck in slow motion and we are all slack-jawed gawkers. The ice has been broken.

The world is watching and billions are talking about it. It has started a frenzy of Arabian rebuttal YT clips attempting damage control. It has caused the likes of me to learn a little more about Mohammad . Everyone is finally discussing the elephant in the room. I think at this point the Sunnis and the Shias have no choice but take it upon themselves to re-evaluate their position and condemn the violent ideology that has run rampant through their religion. Beginning as a grassroots transformation within their culture and as an opportunity for us to embrace them and show support by relaxing our stance to maintain freedom of speech. This bad, tasteless and pitiful event can actually be a good thing. But only if we make the first move.

You see, there is one big thing that I've learned in life. Every nation is the consolidation of one man of that nation. People are individuals but so is a group. Combine them and you have a homogeneous personality. So it's easy to determine the best plan of action. Treat it like a one-on-one. Extend your hand and say sorry. Let human emotions take care of the rest.

I'm not of any particular religious faith. But let me leave you with this thought. What would Jesus do?

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I am glad you live in the UK. Freedom is worth the loss of life. Wait, that is the reason we broke from you guys.

reply to post by FlySolo

Again, freedom is worth the loss of human life's.
edit on 18-9-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

Freedom is worth the loss of life. But no where do I see that freedom compromised. You are free to react and you are free not to react. It's that simple. Nothing has changed and no one is pointing a gun at your head.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by magma

Hezbollah warns US over film as death toll rises to 19

www.news.com.au

HEZBOLLAH'S Hassan Nasrallah has warned of "very dangerous" global repercussions if an anti-Islam film is released in its entirety, as the death toll from a week of violence sparked by the movie rose to 19.
An eruption of Muslim anger over a trailer of the American-made film that appeared on the Internet has spread across the world, taking hold yesterday in Afghanistan, Indonesia, the West Bank, the Philippines and Yemen.
(visit the link for the full news article)

You mean this film or some other?? This is really an interesting movie. You have to watch it more than once to start to get the jest of it.

edit on 19-9-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Then this film should not be kept frm going public. Who ever made the film has a right to make it.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing
Considering virtually every weapon system (besides rocks) currently used in the Middle East was designed and produced in the USA that's a pretty ballsy threat. I hope we put a red button like the movie 5th Element on the ones we sold them.

Really. I dont think so. Try China instead.....

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
if this movie gets pulled then so should the koran

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by rick004
reply to post by moniesisfun

Do you live in the north pole !! Extremists are taking over our countries ! Europe , Australia , Norway , it's just a matter of time and more people with your attitude and we will all be F$&@ED !!

agreed

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

edit on 19-9-2012 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by magma

This is just wild n crazy I say....

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLonewolf
reply to post by Mcupobob

Hey man, I didn't start this whole rage these extremist have against the West, but I'll be goddamned if I'm going to let the likes of this guy and his followers try an dictate what i can think, see, and do, and I sure as hell am not gonna sit idly by and let these savages murder, rape, and torture innocent people just because they are upset over some depiction of their savior..

I know you didn't and I'm against them as the next person an then that action does need to be taken. However what your proposing is war on a religion itself. It a g**Damn oxymoron, preaching for freedom while at the same time saying when need to eliminate people we disagree with them. You can't destroy an Ideal, you can't kill it, or shoot it. Best you can do is counter it with another one.

Do you not think the world would be a much, much better place without these savages spreading their ignorance and hate?

Yes I do.

Sometimes evil s**t must be done to stop evil

And no it doesn't, thats the prolly the same thing Hitler said before justifying.. Hell thats prolly what these terrorist say to justify their actions. Show the movie, show them that we are not scared of them. Detain any who resort to violence and give them do process depending on their nation, and praise those who have show peaceful protest. Because if we start systematically killing them, what you think is gonna happen? The rest of the world is gonna thank us? That they'll just lie back and take it while their religion is under attack. Your speaking out of anger and hate, understandable but not logical or morally right.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Do not get me wrong, I am all for freedom of speech. Be advised this is an opinion piece, anything following is not intended to be fact.

This was intended to insult the Islamic population. Freedom of Speech is something to be protected, to fight for, and in extreme cases to die fighting for. That said, any form of speech made to intentionally cause violence or unrest should be restricted to a point. I am not for complete censorship, but this is directly putting American lives at risk. We hold Embassies in a large number of Islamic majority countries. Granted I am Agnostic, but I do respect the viewpoint of religion regardless of their denomination. Under Islam, this would be perceived as a massive insult to their Allah, and through that an insult to them. The result is predictable. I only hope that people will realize the results of their actions; you are not only insulting Islam, but causing a direct threat on the life of fellow Americans.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join