It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heinz Kerry gives gin and raisin remedy for Arthritis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
While Teresa was talking with people about her husbands healthcare plan she decided to offer some medical advice of her own. Interesting way to deal with arthritis, have any of you heard of this or tried it? It's a stretch, but could this cause people to get a DUI?

Heinz Kerry ended with what she called �a highly effective� remedy for arthritis that drew laughter and some skepticism from the audience.

You get some gin and get some white raisins � and only white raisins � and soak them in the gin for two weeks,� she said. �Then eat nine of the raisins a day.�

Despite the laughter, Dr. Steven Phillips, director of Geriatric Medicine at the University of Nevada quickly supported the prescription.

Phillips, on stage with Heinz Kerry as part of the panel, said sulfur and sulfides found in grapes are increased by the alcohol and could perhaps alleviate joint pain.

Dr. Michael Gerber, a noted homeopathic doctor in Reno, also said the formula has merit.

�It makes sense,� said Gerber from his office. �People go to hot springs to soak in the water and that water is very high in sulfur. So Mrs. Kerry�s remedy is pretty plausible.�

Dolores Jackson of Reno, a Kerry supporter who attended the rally, took the raisin and gin remedy seriously.

�There are really other remedies where we don�t have to use so many drugs,� Jackson said. �I really believe in alternative medicine.�

The health plan Heinz Kerry prescribed for the nation, however, did not include any grapes.

full article: www.rgj.com...

Jemison

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
No, it wouldn't cause DUI, and yes it's an old folk remedy and one actually touted by People's Pharmacy (an online show and source that talks about alternative and complementary medicine.)

It suggests she listens to NPR and is fairly well read.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
After you soak the raisins, do you "shove them" in your mouth?

Terry is a trip.

only idiots and scumbags wouldn't follow this prescription.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   

only idiots and scumbags wouldn't follow this prescription.

ROFLMFAO!!!!!

I don't care for Teresa Kerry but I didn't post this as a slam to her. I was intrigued by this remedy and as a 36 year old with possible arthritis I was wondering if it was something that I should try. I only drink a few times a year so I have NO tolerance for alcohol. I'm not a fan of gin or raisins but maybe I'll give this a try ... I'll just be sure to try it AFTER the children are all in bed for the night in case it makes me tipsy!

Jemison

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Yes, do try the raisins. Don't overindulge...there's no benefit in eating more of them.

Here's more info from the People's Pharmacy article:
www.healthcentral.com...

And here's the recipe from:
www.healthcentral.com...

Ingredients: golden raisins and gin.

Empty the raisins into a bowl and pour in just enough gin to cover the raisins. Allow the gin to evaporate (about one week) and then place the moist raisins in a jar with a lid.

Eat nine raisins a day. They go well on cereal!

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
I'm not a fan of gin or raisins but maybe I'll give this a try ...

Hehe....Those are two ingredients I've found if people don't like, you simply avoid...Mixing them together?! You should be in for a treat!

Personally, I like both...now if they only came out with a study that proved cherry's soaked in everclear is good for you

[edit on 10/15/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Hey people I may not be Heinz Kerry but I tell you my mom has the best remedy for chronic cough, and involves rum.

So old time remedies sometimes it works or left you with a hang over

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   

now if they only came out with a study that proved cherry's soaked in everclear is good for you

Maybe you could conduct a study on that!

Byrd, thanks for the links. I'm going to buy white raisons today and start soaking them. I wonder why someone hasn't already done this on a large scale and sold them to health food stores?

Jemison

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
jemison.

why don't you buy a tanker of gin and a truckload of white raisins and market it yourself?

actually, I can see a whole line of "Terry Care" products and a very effective ad campaign.

"Don't be a scumbag! Try Terry's Sherry TODAY!"

among others...

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
It's probably alot safer that viox proved to be...

not to mention cheaper.
which is why her statements probably will be slammed by the conservative right......they have to protect their buddies in the drug business from the horrible grannies of the world who pass down such folk remedies!!!

[edit on 15-10-2004 by dawnstar]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Madame Mynaeris says:

"Skip the raisins go straight to the gin, and marry a billionaire - its a surefire cure for arthritis!"

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   

which is why her statements probably will be slammed by the conservative right......they have to protect their buddies in the drug business from the horrible grannies of the world who pass down such folk remedies!!!

Hey! I consider myself to be part of the conservative right and I'm not slamming her at all! Not only that but I have a lot of pharmaceutical stocks ... her comment still doesn't bother me.

I'm not sure it's the conservative right that is the one that have buddies in the drug business. Have you looked at Kerrys holdings? I was quite surprised to see that he is heavily invested in pharmaceuticals!

Jemison

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
good post dawnstar, until you edited it and added your ignorant opinion of corporate america.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by moxyone
good post dawnstar, until you edited it and added your ignorant opinion of corporate america.

ignorant or not, outside of the part about the "conservative right" it's about on point. The drug companies probably invest more money into lobbying washington, than they do in really looking for possible problems with the drugs that they peddle onto us. But, then, oh no, people are overdosing on ephedra, and it needs to be pulled!
Well, for thier information, you can make a great brew for asthma and the like when that ephedra is added to a few other goodies, alot cheaper than those inhalers that they peddle, and the risk of heart damage is probably greater with the inhalers! And, well, the results of abusing the inhalers is about the same as the ephedra....

and, in reality it's kind of hard to ban....since it's a plant and be home grown!!!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Jemison

Yes I have heard of this cure from a women fairly recently.

I can't post it because I am being stalked....but I have some great video of these older people, all in their 70's and 80's dancing, jitterbugging, swing dancing at manic speeds, doing the electric slide and cupid shuffle, I can't keep up even though I am about 30 years younger.

One of the women told me about that gin and raisins cure and she is in her 80's (survived her husband) now hanging out in bars. I watch men hit on her. Most all these octogenarians have vital full lives. I know of 2 weddings where the groom was over 80 and the wife up there too. One fellow, an especially good dancer (a retired ski instructor) Budd, was caught getting a BJ in the parking lot from a woman in her 70's. We blamed the wine. It is refreshing to witness really. But I am getting off track again...

Another cure...(of 2 cures for 2 different types of arthritis) I got from these folks also honey and Braggs Cider vinegar is good for breaking up calcium deposits that build up and cause sharp pain around joints. It cleans excess mineral buildup out of tea pots so why not your body as well? 1/4 cup honey- 1/4 cup vinegar 1 cup of ice water. Chill it. Actually not too bad tasting. By 3 days you are pain free.

And for soft tissue wear down like cartilage and bursar drying out with age issues, involving stiffness and bending...fruit pectin the natural ingredient in apples and other fruits and is also used to thicken fruit gels during canning. A couple tablespoons with grape juice daily.

All medicines are derived from some miraculous natural substance. Man does not always have the ability to improve on nature though he will try and then of course he must be recompensed...When you could have just as well gone into the woods and emerged with a cure yourself.

Seems like with every new thing we learn the farther and farther away we get from the old truths.

We are now in the process of forgetting these old truths. A cultural and educational cleansing that we begun some time, maybe 50 years ago. In fact there is a whole movement an entire drill, timber, slash and burn party trying to make the natural world and nature itself... obsolete.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by moxyone

ATS Courtesy Is Mandatory. www.abovetopsecret.com... ridicule, harassment, abuse and similar behavior constitute a direct attack on what this forum is intended for, and will be treated accordingly.

Members unable to politely discuss unusual, unproven or unorthodox subjects should avoid this forum.

new topics

top topics

join