It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are these infamous houses now?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
How would you like to live in a house where a murder occurred or maybe a house that is believed to be haunted? Could you get a good night sleep?
According to an article in “Town and Country” magazine several of these infamous houses are now on the market. I have also found other homes that could be an adventure to own.

The JonBenet Ramsey House

749 15th street (Formally 755 15th street)
Boulder, CO 80302
Listed for $2.45 million. Currently listed for sale by Sotheby’s International Realty.
Estimated value (according to Zillow): $1,988,418

This home was the site of the murder of six-year-old JonBenet Ramsey. The beauty pageant queen was found in dead in the basement of the house the morning after Christmas of 1996. The culprit of the horrific crime has yet to be brought to justice.
The home has had several owners since the murder. One of the current owners of the house is the daughter of televangelist Robert H. Schuller from “Hour of Power”.

The LaBianca House

3311 Waverly Drive (formally 3301 Waverly Drive)
Los Angeles, CA 90027
Estimated value (according to Zillow): $862,685
Last sold in 1998 for $375,000

One of the homes the family of Charles Manson visited in the fall of 1969. This location was the site of one of the murders committed by followers of Charles Manson. The other site being the Tate house. Because of this house and the murders of Leno and Rosemary LaBianca, the name “Helter Skelter” will always be linked with “The Manson Family”.

The Nicole Brown Simpson House

879 South Bundy Drive (formally 876 South Bundy Drive)
Los Angeles, CA 90049
Estimated value (according to Zillow): $2,072,098
Last sold in 2006 for $1,720,000

Who can forget the “Trials of the Century” and the unforgettable stabbing death of Nicole Brown Simpson and her close friend Ron Goldman? Nicole, the ex-wife of ex-football star OJ Simpson, was brutally stabbed outside her Los Angeles condo on June 12, 1994. While OJ Simpson was not convicted of the murders, he was found guilty of wrongful death in civil court. He was ordered to pay the Brown and Goldman families $33.5 million (which he has paid little on).

The Jeffrey Dahmer House

4480 West Bath Road
Akron, OH 44333
Listed for #329,000 by Keller Williams Realty
Estimated value (according to Zillow): $274,359

This childhood home to Jeffrey Lionel Dahmer was the site of his first of many murders. In the summer of 1978 Dahmer killed Steven Hicks a young hitchhiker. After getting the young man drunk and strangling him to death Dahmer dismembered the 19 year-old. He went on to crush his bones with a sledgehammer, sprinkled the broken-up bones around the property. Jeffrey Dahmer buried the flesh under the house in the crawlspace. Jeffrey Dahmer went on to ill another 16 men and boys between the years of 1978 and 1991. Dahmer was killed in prison by another inmate on November 28, 1994.

The Heaven’s Gate Cult House

18239 Paseo Victoria
Rancho Santa Fe, CA 92067
Last sold in 2010 for $4.6 million

This large estate was the site of the largest mass suicide in the United States, with 39 deaths over three days and two more later on for a total count of 41. The Heaven’s Gate Cult was led by Marshall Applewhite, who was one the dead, believed that they would be carried up to a spaceship that traveled through space on a comet named Hale-Bopp. One of the cult member was Thomas Nichols, brother to Star Trek cast member Nichelle Nichols, who Played Uhura. Applewhite believed in celibacy which led to the castration of several of the members. The cult also had a unisex look which made identifying the dead much harder due to the fact that they all has buzz cut hair-dos and the exact same clothing on.

The Amityville Horror House

108 Ocean Avenue (Formally 112 Ocean Avenue)
Amityville, NY 11701
Estimated value (according to Zillow): $856,174
Last sold in 2010 for $950,000

There are many unanswered questions about the events that occurred on the night of November 13, 1974. Could Ronald “Butch” DeFeo Jr. really have killed his mother and father as well as 2 brothers and 2 sisters by himself? According to the courts, yes but in interviews and letters Butch claims he had help. Ronald DeFeo contends that he had help from his older sister Dawn and two friends. Ronald DeFeo Jr. is currently being held at Green Haven Correctional Facility in Beekman, NY. DeFeo has been turned down for parole several times since 1999 but could this mass murderer get out? Only time will tell.

The Clutter House (Also known as the “In Cold Blood” House)

??? Oak Avenue (N 37° 59’6.06” W 100° 59’58.55”)
Holcomb, KS 67851
Unable to find estimated price on Zillow

This house was the inspiration for the true crime novel “In Cold Blood” by Truman Capote. Richard Hickock and Perry Smith, Two parolees, went to this small town in Kansas in November 1959 to rob this home. What they found was a small amount of cash and a small radio. In the end the two men murdered Herb and Donna Clutter and their two youngest children. The pair was arrested six week later in Las Vegas, NV. the two confessed and were sentenced to Death Row. Both Hickock and Smith were put to death by hanging on April 4, 1965.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I'd try the Amityville house for a while.

I've always wanted to experience a real haunting.

But other than that, I'd have to tear down the houses there and build entirely new ones.

And in regards to the Amityville house, they changed the famous windows so that fans wouldn't flock there anymore to see it. So it doesn't look like it did with the Lutz.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
I'd try the Amityville house for a while.

I've always wanted to experience a real haunting.

But other than that, I'd have to tear down the houses there and build entirely new ones.

And in regards to the Amityville house, they changed the famous windows so that fans wouldn't flock there anymore to see it. So it doesn't look like it did with the Lutz.

Me too, I have always heard stories about hauntings and ghosts from people but have never experienced it. I went to Estes Park and stayed at the Stanley Hotel for a few days because it is supposed to be haunted. Estes Park and the hotel are beautiful and it was a nice little vacation. No ghosts though, I was disappointed. i would kill to be able to stay in the Amityville house for about a week.
edit on 16-9-2012 by billy197300 because: add

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I would absolutely love to live in any of those properties. It would be one sure way to strike up a conversation. And an even better way to keep the Jehovah's witnesses and salesman from pestering you.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by 369821

Good point. I had not thought of that. The big issue I would have is all of the people wanting to now about the house and it's history. Or the ones that sit in their cars and stare at the home.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Bobcat2003

And that just means free security for you. Nobody is going to break into a home thats being watched and gawked at all the time.LOL

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
One thing I did notice while writing this thread is that most of these houses addresses have been changed ever so slightly. So they are harder to locate by the gawkers. For the new owners, I can see the reasoning.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Nice post cheers for sharing.......................I moved into my apartment 6 months ago and yesterday I found out that a resident died upstairs on the next apt above only last year..............my missus was not happy...haha

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I found an update that relates to this and figured I'd add it for general interest....

The sellers of homes do not have to disclose "psychological stigmas," such as murders, to prospective buyers, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruled.

The state's highest court unanimously ruled Monday in favor of Kathleen and Joseph Jacono regarding the sale of their Delaware County house in 2007 for $610,000.

The lady who bought the house apparently went ballistic when a neighbor informed her of a muder/suicide which had occurred with past owners. I can see where I'd prefer knowing? Then again...I actually DID live this in finding out the owner before last in my home was a contract killer to organized crime. Oh..neighbors..and the wonderful happy things they have to share, eh? The justices to have a good point here though.

Aside from questions of haunting, perhaps, how is this knowledge relevent to a purchase? Disclosure normally means things like physical damage or known hazards kept hidden and which would have significantly impacted the value of the sale.

Writing for the state Supreme Court, Justice J. Michael Eakin agreed with the lower court that the deaths were not material facts that should have been disclosed. He noted that "the varieties of traumatizing events" that could happen at a property "are endless."

"Efforts to define those that would warrant mandatory disclosure would be a Sisyphean task," the eight-page opinion stated. "One cannot quantify the psychological impact of different genres of murder, or suicide - does a bloodless death by poisoning or overdose create a less significant 'defect' than a bloody one from a stabbing or shooting? How would one treat other violent crimes such as rape, assault, home invasion, or child abuse? What if the killings were elsewhere, but the sadistic serial killer lived there? What if satanic rituals were performed in the house?"
Source

I imagine it can be said that behind every home is a whole book of stories from those who lived there in past times. On every plot of land may even lay echos of that past and those who expressed powerful emotion in that spot.

Personally, I think I'd tend to agree though. It's a nice thing to mention, but it's rather silly to start saying an owner should disclose every negative experience which may have happened on a patch of real estate.

new topics

top topics

join