It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I'm leaving Devry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Since my 57k loans dried up and I've only got 47 credits out of the 128 I need for my bachelors (First degree ever and I'll never get it now, sigh), I decided this is my last class. I was scheduled for the last two classes but decided to stop all together. I have 5k left in my loans and would rather put them to some other online school where I can get a certificate or something. Thing is, I was going to go into medical transcription, but was told by a few people who have loved ones in that job that there ARE no jobs in there; Obamacare is wiping out medical jobs (could be just their hate for the man, not the truth. What do I know?) and transcriptionists are going the way of the caveman cuz of this that and the other.

I really don't want to have to keep working min wage once I can work again. (Long story there; legal issues I have to clear up which dont allow me to work). Tried getting into my own housecleaning business but I live in a dirt poor town; no one can afford that kind of 'rich persons luxury'. I really want to make something of myself and I have 5k left in govt loans.

They seriously need to lift that stupid loan cap. I know, I should have gone to trade school or something but Devry appealed to me: I have zero car so going to a brick and mortar class is out of the question.

Does anyone have any ideas? I just need something to certify in that does not require any more than like 4k tuition total. I'd rather get something for my money i have to repay than just have spent 57k on oxygen. You know what I mean.

I dont care what the work is. Though traveling would be difficult. I have zero income as well so I can't use any money to start up anything. Unless I did so under the table if you will. Man. I'm almost 40. I kick myself constantly for messing up after high school when my parents were fully paying for me to attend the local community college. I'd have been a psychologist by now. Raking in the huge huge dollars
I think of how they make 50 to 100 an hour and see 8 to 10 patients a day. Boy was I dumb.
hindsight is the most horrible beast known to mankind, let me tell you.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Not bumping my thread. Just was told about electrician, which could be fun - long as i can learn online and it's under 4k dollars. I really don't care what I do as long as I can DO and earn a living.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Western Governor's University is worth looking into. It is fully accredited and you can do classes at your own pace. Tuition is around 3k for 6 months, and you can get as much done as you want in that time frame.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
lol im a 37 yr old male version of you hahaha.

hope you find something soon that you will enjoy, me im still looking

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

One of my good friends fathers was a career Devry professor and he was very vocal ( at home ) about how much his students had to pay for tuition there.

If he were to read this I am 100% positive that he'd say "Go to a local community college, apply for PELL grants and then use that as a start. Work hard and try to qualify for all the merit based scholarships that you can get. Don't give up on getting an education. There are always options!"

I'd have to say I agree with my imaginary interpretation of what he'd say.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Hehe, thanks Heff.

I'll check the local college here. their tuition has to be cheaper than Devry's 605/credit hour for IN STATE students.

And to all other replies, thank you as well. I'm not giving up. I have a few ideas: phlebotomist is one as well.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Okies, I'll be attending the local community college to do 13 credit hours in phlebotomy at 74 dollars /credit hour.

lol devry @ 604/credit hour. what was I thinking?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
Okies, I'll be attending the local community college to do 13 credit hours in phlebotomy at 74 dollars /credit hour.

lol devry @ 604/credit hour. what was I thinking?

Make sure you provide your transcripts from Devry and the previous CC you attended to the new CC to get as many transfer credits as possible. I think Devry credits are problematic at best when trying to transfer them over ANYWHERE else, but the CC credits (which were probably a bunch of required courses) should transfer.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Please go to local community college, that are well established for 20-30yrs.

Devry and its fellow for-profit schools are in Canada now(i believe all the for-profit school are American based), to tell you the truth, some company will avoid these names when they hire you. These schools mainly look at money and barely pay attention to students.

Some "teachers" are graduate from the school itself.

Also, good school won;t take transfer credit from Dvery and other for-profit schools.

They get students in by advertising how fast you can get your diploma/degree. Good education does not happen in months time.

Jobs look for these mainly.

> Diploma/ degree preferred more, varies with job. If more hand/technical testing based then diploma is good, more into research = degree.
> Amount of time you spend in school, higher the better(3yr diploma, 2 yr diploma, then you have those 8 month courses...these course might be good for admin etc.)
>Experience is always a good thing.

Edit: I did a combined course of microbiology. 3 yrs in University, 1 yr in college. It gives both Diploma and Degree(and cost me close to 40k), if you see these programs, take them(take in mind of the school reputation).

edit on 9/13/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/13/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

top topics

join