It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Gamma-Ray Bursts be Alien Communication Systems ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I was just doing a bit of Star gazing and pondering on life the Universe and everything when this random thought entered my head , if Alien civilizations wanted to communicate between themselves and others how would they do it..... could it be that they would use encoded Gamma-Rays as a carrier ?

Gamma-Ray Bursts have been known about and observed since the late sixties and their true nature is still a mystery even today , various theories have been proposed but they remain enigmatic , could it be possible that what we are observing are Extraterrestrial conversations encoded within these bursts ?
Is it possible that we are in fact eavesdropping on messages between Star systems without even realizing it , and if we don't have the key to unlock these messages how would we ever know ?

edit on 12-9-2012 by gortex because: edit to spell

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

It's an interesting Idea that might be worthy of a story.
Since GRBs are so deadly, it'd be like saying "hello" by murdering someone.

Kind of reminds me of the Addams Family.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Druscilla please change your avatar, that one disturbs me..

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Couple of thoughts about gamma rays. I have an open mind and like to consider all the opinions, even if some sound wierd.

1.- I heard gamma rays are not visible but can bring heat to a planet. If that is confirmed, it could be a reason for the temperature increment in the planets of our system.

2.- Many contactees and new age people believe gamma rays coming from the core of the galaxy are to bring Earth to the next dimension of conscience, with tremendous catastrophes in the process.

We eventually will confirm all that.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Interesting ideas you have.
Tell me more .

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4
reply to post by Trueman

Tell me more .

Here are a few click for now :

en.wikipedia.org...

thetechjournal.com...

phys.org...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

it'd be like saying "hello" by murdering someone.

Hi Dru , it would certainly be a way of getting someone's attention

It seems I'm not alone in this thought , I've just found that Astrophysicist Hazel Muir wrote a piece for New Scientist on the topic .

REGARDLESS of what causes gamma-ray bursters, they could be the key to discovering life elsewhere in the Universe. An astrophysicist says smart aliens might use the bursts to alert us to their messages.

A good way for an extraterrestrial civilisation to broadcast its existence to us would be to concentrate all the energy it can muster into a brief beam of radiation bright enough to reach us. But there's a catch: how could they be sure we'd be looking in the right direction at the right time? One cunning tactic would be to steal the limelight from a dazzling astronomical event—ideally a gamma-ray burster, says Robin Corbet of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland.
Bursts occur frequently, so the aliens could wait till they see one nearly diametrically opposite the Earth, so the burster, the aliens' planet and the Earth are in line.
www.newscientist.com...

Not entirely along the same lines but in the same ball park

edit on 12-9-2012 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

There are variable sources of gamma rays that dont have an obvious counterpart in other wavelengths. No doubt it would at least prove interesting to understand more about what could be causing these.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
It's _possible_ but I really hope you're wrong. Hopefully, by the time one has the ability to engineer such events, one has access to FTL communications. If those turn out to be fundamentally barred by the universe (as seems to be the case today) then it becomes a very lonely universe, indeed. If GRBs _are_ a product of mind and intention, then I'd place my bets more torwards War, Art, or Religion as the cause. And since it's aliens we're talking of, those specific categories of motivation may not even apply.

Sidenote: A similar hypothesis was used to good effect in the later part of David Brin's "Uplift" series.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
GRB have been modelled and theorized for years. They come in two classes, long and short, the majority being long. Any with optical counterparts are always observed at high-redshift also, meaning they are very distant.

Short classes though observed less have been modelled quite well to have an origin that is of two coalescing neutron stars to form a black hole. The energy release during this process would largely be in gamma rays. A neutron star is a compact object where even minor disturbances to its surface would require and release massive amounts of energy. These Bursts are very short lived and don't normally include an optical counterpart.

Long classes are often associated with optical counterparts, and are theoretically caused by the death of supermassive stars in young galaxies. The highly energetic nature of these objects is due to matter density in the vicinity of the star. A massive star going supernova would for a short period become a micro quasar, or form a 'feeding' black hole. For information, matter falling onto a blackhole theoretically gives you the most efficient transfer of normal matter into energy. The long lived components in the optical spectrum would be caused by heating of local gas around the object and in the host galaxy.

Another titbit of information is that when a Star goes supernova, during the collapse it will temporally outshine its host galaxy in the visible spectrum, but in fact that only represents about 1% of the energy produced, about 99% of the energy is produced in neutrinos. Formation of the blackhole and its subsequent feeding of material close to it that is not in a survivable orbit would produce huge amounts of gamma rays.

using these for communications? Well, given the most probable nature and what you have to do to produce the energy we see, it seems unlikely. Also GRBs are isotropically distributed in the sky, they come at random and from random directions... if intelligent life was using them to communicate, you would perhaps expect not to see them being so isotropic.
edit on 18-9-2012 by ErosA433 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Not if they want to live long.
Gamma-Ray Bursts would kill them or those they send the message to.

When will science be understood.
And of course you realize physics here is the same the universe around.
So why would anyone suggest Gamma-Ray Bursts communications.
Well perhaps due to gamma ray space studies and satellites.
The talk of gamma rays in space is just the official word for look we have a job.

Hey I just head that a 1 Tesla magnetic field generates gamma rays from nothing.
Well not nothing if we have ether mass around like Tesla said.

Tesla found faster than speed of light particles in all directions even at night.
He had plans for that free energy basement generator.
He also said we needn't make so many measurements and take a three foot
lead suit along in outer space to feel comfortable.

The Official Word is just about counter Tesla with out saying.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

Cant quite figure out by that if you are being sarcastic, or truly believe that Tesla invented some kind of amazing technology which has been covered up for years by some kind of dark organisation

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErosA433
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

Cant quite figure out by that if you are being sarcastic, or truly believe that Tesla invented some kind of amazing technology which has been covered up for years by some kind of dark organisation

The gamma stuff is off beat but I think valid in some ways
such that we do want to avoid gamma radiation:

[
Not if they want to live long.
Gamma-Ray Bursts would kill them or those they send the message to.

When will science be understood.
And of course you realize physics here is the same the universe around.
So why would anyone suggest Gamma-Ray Bursts communications.
Well perhaps due to gamma ray space studies and satellites.
The talk of gamma rays in space is just the official word for look we have a job.

Hey I just head that a 1 Tesla magnetic field generates gamma rays from nothing.
Well not nothing if we have ether mass around like Tesla said.
]
So you still want Gamma Ray Communications don't you.

This is also true and counter to science as we know it:
[
Tesla found faster than speed of light particles in all directions even at night.
He had plans for that free energy basement generator.
He also said we needn't make so many measurements and take a three foot
lead suit along in outer space to feel comfortable.

The Official Word is just about counter Tesla with out saying
]

Tesla found usable energetic particles, in other words, that are being kept secret.
You think not.

ED: Science is controlled by money as is art and construction and politics and
farming as everything else. England was the authority on electricity and their
heads went with Edison bucking Tesla on the Buffalo power plant even after
Tesla and Westinghouse powered mines across the American West and the
Century of Progress in Chicago. Big money went with Tesla and AC because
they have very good intelligence and thought out the decision perfectly.
Yes, some dark power is hiding the Tesla technology, AC isn't even close to the
discoveries of Tesla.

edit on 9/22/2012 by TeslaandLyne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ErosA433

Just found this hidden technology notes.

How would we know any technology unless being officially released.

Earth is surrounded by outer space. So we do not need to go there to measure
the radiation level which Tesla put into simple terms as Earth provides us with
three feet of lead protection. Official Illuminati science will not talk of Tesla
or release his work pertaining what they want to keep from us.

So if we bother to find out we must read what Tesla did say.
Then ask ourselves what gives because no one has come back with answers
to float my boat except Mr Lyne that indicated a whole lot of technology
has been overtaken by dark forces.

UFO saucer ships are not enough amazing Tesla inventions for us and done
by normal companies away from our view,

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ErosA433

I believe this theory has major problems due to lack of neutrons detected accompanying the gamma ray bursts, back to the drawing board.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Alien technology a million years in advance of our own could build some amazing things in space. I have often wondered if science is wrong about Pulsars.
Maybe Pulsars are actually alien lighthouses?

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I always tend to think aliens would be using a FTL form of communication even though I know that current day science forbids it. And if not that then I think something (ideally) low energy, not high energy. Another thing is that how would we know something is alien if they encrypt it? Wouldn't it look random to us? What would be the giveaway that it's artificial?

There has to be some form of communication system if there're aliens out there. This is another reason we need to support SETI and other programs like it. We need to look for these signals.

I also tend to think that whatever technology they're using we won't be looking for it. Could someone from 300 years ago detect radio waves? Probably not. They'd not hear what we're saying would they. So really it's a gamble. And whatever we detect reflects their knowledge of this universe.

How much energy do we use in the US for communication? If we summed up all of it and compared it to total energy use, what would the ratio be? This would be an interesting exercise.
edit on 13-11-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4
reply to post by Trueman

Tell me more .

Gravity shifts are registered almost instantly throughout the Universe since it is an embedded component of space and time. If there were to be interstellar and intergalactic messaging it would be with modulating upon gravity.

top topics

join