It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark energy is real, say astronomers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I think this stuff is pretty damn cool. I'm always on the look out for more to learn about the Universe and how it works.

In the absence of dark energy, or a large curvature in the Universe, there would be no correspondence between these two maps (the distant cosmic microwave background and relatively closer distribution of galaxies), but the existence of dark energy would lead to the strange, counter-intuitive effect where the cosmic microwave background photons would gain energy as they traveled through large lumps of mass.

Without dark energy, our observations of accelerating expansion cannot be explained satisfactorily. Which is what makes this study so exciting.

Professor Bob Nichol, a member of the Portsmouth team, said: "Dark energy is one of the great scientific mysteries of our time, so it isn't surprising that so many researchers question its existence. "But with our new work we're more confident than ever that this exotic component of the Universe is real – even if we still have no idea what it consists of."

In the new paper, the product of nearly two years of work, the team have re-examined all the arguments against the Integrated Sachs Wolfe detection as well as improving the maps used in the original work. In their painstaking analysis, they conclude that there is a 99.996 per cent chance that dark energy is responsible for the hotter parts of the cosmic microwave background maps (or the same level of significance as the recent discovery of the Higgs boson).

So, at this point. If this study holds up to peer review, which I see no reason why it wouldn't. Dark energy will have been pretty much proven. And the next Cosmic microwave background should confirm it. Or show us something completely unexpected, either way it will be interesting.

PHYS.ORG

edit on 12-9-2012 by watchitburn because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Of course it's real. Everything has an opposite.

www.hermetics.org...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
This should be exciting.

looking forward to more updates on this. Thumbs up

/KurdMan

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

What is the opposite of a carrot?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn

Professor Bob Nichol, a member of the Portsmouth team, said: "Dark energy is one of the great scientific mysteries of our time, so it isn't surprising that so many researchers question its existence. "But with our new work we're more confident than ever that this exotic component of the Universe is real – even if we still have no idea what it consists of."
I'm not sure why they downplay the idea that it might be vacuum energy aka the cosmological constant by saying "we still have no idea what it consists of."

It seems to me that they DO have an idea about what it consists of, call it a hypothesis if you like, that hasn't yet been proven.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Consequence

Define what a carrot is.

A carrot is a rooted vegetable.

It depends on who you ask for the answer since its a noun.

I'm going to throw it out there though and say my answer is fruit.

As above so below.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Without dark energy, our observations of accelerating expansion cannot be explained satisfactorily. Which is what makes this study so exciting.

www.thunderbolts.info...

Could this be an alternate method to explaining what is being observed? Induced magnetic repulsion as looked at halfway down the page, it's an area of study that can be done in a lab.

I like to think that many problems can have more than one answer.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

reply to post by KurdishKing

While your willingness to contribute is appreciated, Hermetics and carrots have nothing to do with dark energy.
So I ask you to move your conversation else where or remain on topic.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
reply to post by MamaJ

reply to post by KurdishKing

While your willingness to contribute is appreciated, Hermetics and carrots have nothing to do with dark energy.
So I ask you to move your conversation else where or remain on topic.

I'm on topic. I love science as much if not more than you.

Dark matter is something I've studied extensively.

You can't have the universe without the earth and the observer.

I'm telling you what I see.

I responded to the joke but also included as above so below. An opposite of light energy is dark energy. It's only dark to the senses though. When the senses become heightened all will be revealed.

Perhaps you will get it or see it, maybe not.

I offered you a link... Remember? Lol

Science today is awesome, they would be more helpful though if they were not stuck. Politics, ya know!!

at the other end of the scale, there are gross forms of matter whose vibrations are so low as to seem at rest. Between these poles, there are millions upon millions of varying degrees of vibration. From corpuscle and electron, atom and molecule, to worlds and universes, everything is in vibratory motion. This is also true on the planes of energy and force (which are but varying degrees of vibration); and also on the mental planes (whose states depend upon vibrations); and even on to the spiritual planes. An understanding of this Principle, with the appropriate formulas, enables Hermetic students to control their own mental vibrations as well as those of others. The Masters also apply this Principle to the conquering of Natural phenomena, in various ways. “He who understands the Principle of Vibration, has grasped the sceptre of power,” says one of the old writers.

edit on 12-9-2012 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by cruddas
Could this be an alternate method to explaining what is being observed? Induced magnetic repulsion as looked at halfway down the page, it's an area of study that can be done in a lab.
According to the quote i referenced earlier, they don't have an explanation, so why would you say "alternate method"? Alternate to what?

And that source is pretty much a who's who of crackpots, From Searle who claims his antigravity device worked so well it flew into outer space so that's why he can't demonstrate it, to Don Scott who says the Grand Canyon was formed by electricity instead of the water that flowed through it. OK maybe Hannes Alfvén is the exception and wasn't a crackpot, but by his own admission he was unable to convince even one single prominent scientist of his redshift idea, so weak was his so-called "evidence".

But prove the idea and win the Nobel prize.

I doubt you can since that site is mostly complete nonsense.

edit on 12-9-2012 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Consequence

Not a carrot.

Or, a dark carrot?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Of course dark energy exists, different thing is that what is it actually. Universe expands at accelerating rate, big bang doesn't explain that, something else is accelerating the universe, like dark energy. We cannot observe it, but we can see its effects. Most of the Universe is thought to be dark energy, 74% of mass-energy.

To bring the fear-factor, if Universe expansion keeps accelerating, this may result to Big Rip, as all forces binding atoms together disappears eventually. Everything would just turn into basic particles.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I can make a good argument for Santa Clause too yet that dose not make him real. I think we are a little ways away from saying we can explain all the mysteries of the cosmos. Simply because we can't make our math work without inventing a phantom energy doesn't mean it has to be there. Not saying there is definitively no way "dark matter" exists because I have no way of knowing but then again, I'm pretty sure at this point no one else does either.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Very interesting stuff, thanks op. Always keen to hear about astrophysics and the universe at large.

My question to those that might know, is:

Is there dark matter in the room that I am now in?
Thanks

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The Universe is Electric, as proved by all the comets they studied up close and all the unusual findings, (note they're very clean capacitors and not dirty iceballs, they emit Xrays, etc) were predicted ahead of time by the EU theorists.

www.the-electric-universe.info...

1.1 Electric explanation of a white dwarf

A white dwarf contains positive charge which produces its strong magnetic field in quick rotation, its X ray as an anode, and a cold emission of X ray- active (positive) fingers, see Abell 30. The positive charge of mostly alpha-particles cannot explode as long as the dwarf is hot and, therefore, it is a plasma-sphere. The photons of the electrostatic repulsion run along a zigzag course and are, therefore, ineffective in the plasma. (See the plasma-phase of the Big-Bang.) But during the natural cool-down of a white dwarf, it becomes gas and explodes electrostatically at once due to its relativistic (degenerated) electrons which equalize its temperatures in the depth. These GRBs increase the mass of the X ray active halo of the galaxies which are not 10 MK hot but positively charged. These huge and positive masses - the „cemetery" of the supernovae and white dwarfs - produce the filaments of the superclusters and the accelerated expansion of the Universe.

There is no Dark Matter.

www.electric-universe.de...

But, is it possible that the accelerated expansion of the Universe is a simple result of the accelerated expansion of space ?

Naturally, physicists were often unsure about the nature and expansion of space. Also Einstein was unsure. But this idea of the accelerated expansion of the Universe by accelerated expansion of space did not emerge before 1998 February, therefore it seems to be an ad hoc idea. Moreover, this idea only prolongs the answer, because the next question will be: Why does space expand faster and faster?

Even if it would be so, the Universe contains many accelerated expansions in which a force overbalances gravity. Prominences, jets, planetary nebulae, lobes of radiogalaxies expand in very different scales which cannot be valid for the accelerated expansion of the Universe. These expansions of much smaller and various scale cannot be explained by the accelerated expansion of space !

Moreover, the same e.g. solar mass ejections have very different velocities:

15 km/s in 1996 Febr. 11 and
1 000 km/s in 1996 Jan. 15.

No cause in the supposed expansion of space seems to explain both motions ejected by the same body.

On the other side, the electric force can explain all these antigravitational motions, which is 10^36 times stronger than gravity.

www.holoscience.com...

Mathematics ain’t Physics

Those who would aspire to a theory of everything are told they must undertake “the gruelling complex and abstract mathematics” required for the task. Who says so? Mathematicians of course. It is a chronically narrow view, like looking through the wrong end of the telescope and imagining you see stars. This view has led to elitism in physics based on mathematical ability. Most bizarre have been those who claim to see God in their own image – as a mathematician.

Nothing has been proven except they continue to run with their "theories" and when they hit a bump in the road and don't work, ie red shift observations disprove Big Bang, they just create another fantasy mathematical "patch" to alter everything yet again.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

1/6 Comets - Not What We Expected

The Universe is Electric. And with statements like this OP's title its very frightening to be living in a world controlled these black hearted liars. They Know.

It explains so much of our past mythology and symbolism and the electric scarring on the planets around us.

Planet of a Thousand Mysteries

The other frequencies and channels aren't "dark" matter, they're light.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The lead author of this work also had this to say...

"The next generation of cosmic microwave background and galaxy surveys should provide the definitive measurement, either confirming general relativity, including dark energy, or even more intriguingly, demanding a completely new understanding of how gravity works," Giannantonio added."

Some are already taking measurements and implying that the universe is not expanding.

Can anyone comment on the validity of the measurements observed by Santilli?

R. M. Santilli, "Experimental Verifications of IsoRedShift with Possible Absence of Universe Expansion, Big Bang, Dark Matter, and Dark Energy," The Open Astronomy Journal [\bf 3], 124 (2010), www.santilli-foundation.org...

G. West and G. Amato, "Experimental Conformation of Santilli's IsoRedShift and IsoBlueShift," Journal of Computational Methods in Sciences and Engineering, Vol. 12, pages 169-188 (2012), www.santilli-foundation.org...

R. M. Santilli, G. West and g. Amato. "Experimental Confirmation of the IsoRedShift at Sun at Sunset and Sunrise with Consequential Absence of Universe Expansion and Related Conjectures, " Journal of Computational Methods in Sciences and Engineering, Vol. 12, pages 165-188 (2012).www.santilli-foundation.org...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

It depends on who you ask for the answer since its a noun.

I'm asking you because you said that everything has an opposite.

I'm going to throw it out there though and say my answer is fruit.

A fruit because a fruit is not edible?
A fruit because a fruit is not orange?
A fruit because a fruit isn't organic?

So if it's not an opposite in every area, why isn't the opposite of "energy" a fruit too, rather than "dark energy"?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Planet teleX
Not a carrot.

Hmm.. That would be the result after negating it, rather than being the opposite, though..
It all depends whether or not there is "another side". So that is conditionally acceptable, (opposite of "nothing" being "something").

Or, a dark carrot?

Considering the dark energy.. Yes!

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Consequence

the opposite of a carrot is a potential carrot

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join