It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pangaea Theory Debunked! Time for a New Model

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Like many of us we were taught about the Pangaea theory though it usually was taught as fact.
Pangaea theory was a theory thought up by Alfred Wegener in 1915. It was a very good theory and partially correct. What was incorrect is that the continents also joined in the Pacific and due to a lack of bathymetry maps available in 1915 it was easy to make that error.

Here is a Gif animation of 'Pangaea theory' from Wikipedia.

en.wikipedia.org...

Is it just me or do you get a headache trying to make sense of it all? Lets explore Pangaea theory more then.

This next image is from library.thinkquest.org...

The Pangaea theory was treated with much skepticism when it was first raised. But since then, there have been much evidence to support this theory.

Double you Tee Eff? Seriously?

In this next video observe how once again Pangaea theory ignores what happens to the Pacific spread and mostly how it ignores how Alaska and Russia have always been join and show no evidence of to continents crashing together.
Insane.

The problem with Pangaea theory albeit, I dont blame the error on stupidity but more so on the lack of data available in 1915. Of course with todays data there is much evidence to support Pangea theory but the problem is that it ignores that the continets also joined in the pacific so the theory is incomplete.

Bathymetry maps
www.ngdc.noaa.gov...

Here is the next competing theory which I believe in most peoples minds makes sense.

xpanding Earth or Growing Earth is a hypothesis asserting that the position and relative movement of continents is at least partially due to the volume of the Earth increasing. Conversely, geophysical global cooling was the hypothesis that various features could be explained by the earth contracting.
While suggested historically, since the recognition of plate tectonics in the 1970s, scientific consensus has rejected any expansion or contraction of the Earth.
en.wikipedia.org...

Understand the Expanding Earth Theory is a theory just like Pangaea but wouldnt you say it makes more sense?
Here is the Neal Adams animiation of Expanding Earth.

Now here is some images that prove that the continents were connected at the Pacific as well as the Atlantic which is only possible on a smalle globe.
Here is the way the Earth Maps should be shown from now on rather than the traditional western/eastern way.

As you can see how the West coast of the Americas can slide into Asia, Austrailian, Antartica.

New Zealand: A Late-Paleozoic Part of South America

New Zealand: a Late-Paleozoic Part of South America

By Harry Levin
copyrighted

Abstract

In what may be termed “one of the grand puzzles of the earth’s prehistory,” New Zealand and Chile, as a common native habitat, share the earth’s oldest, most primitive flowering plants, side by side with the earth’s most ancient conifers. New Zealand and Chile are now some 9000 km. apart.

In The Origin of Species, in 1859, Charles Darwin wrote:
“New Zealand in its endemic plants is much more closely related to Australia, the nearest mainland, that to any other region: and this is what might have been expected; but it is also plainly related to South America, which, although the next nearest continent, is so enormously remote, that the fact becomes an anomaly.”

This grand anomaly is resolved by evidence presented herein, which indicates that New Zealand was once part of South America on a fully consolidated Gondwanaland during the late Paleozoic more than 300 million years ago. A New Zealand block was then adjoined to the southwestern coast of Chile. This essay addresses the geological and biological relationships of New Zealand to South America and to Australia from the late Paleozoic to the present.
www.flwildflowers.com...
Here is a great map showing the age of the Ocean Floor.

Check it out your self. Use google earth.

Please add to the discussion rather than say yay or nay. If you're for or against either theory lets hear it, or see it.

edit on 11-9-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
What if its completely wrong... what if the earth use to be much bigger.

We have heard them say that somthing big hit the earth and made the moon.. what if when that happened a big chuch of the earth was removed like biting the side of an apple.. the water would fill the void then the crust of the earth would shift slowly.

I've never really believe the "expanding earth" senario..

How would the Earth grow??? Is there that much space debris landing on us to make such a difference?

edit on 11-9-2012 by Doalrite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
This map destroys Pangaea theory on its own.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I think the expanding earth theory explains a lot. The Earth might not actually be growing as much as it's getting bigger due to the Centrifugal force. The spinning eventually makes the Earth larger and larger. Which would also make the Earth more and more hollow as time goes on. Uh Oh, now a hollow Earth theory.

edit on 11-9-2012 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
If indeed the earth is expanding, then where is the additional mass coming from? I'm not seeing where the necessary mass Is being added. Can't get bigger without more mass.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
If indeed the earth is expanding, then where is the additional mass coming from? I'm not seeing where the necessary mass Is being added. Can't get bigger without more mass.

Are you saying that Pangaea theory is correct?

When you squish a foam ball and then release it, does it lose or gain mass?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Well you're half right.

They both are theories.

I really do think that South American and Africa were connected once upon a time. Too many similar fossils and what not. I always did have a hard time though with India and Australia's movement in the Pangaea theory. They always seemed to go way out of place to fit

I know the Earth does gain tons of material yearly due to space debris constantly hitting us. But I don't think you've Debunked one theory with another. I do like your approach on the expanding Earth scenario. Every time it has been posted over the years it usually gets shot down quickly with not too much open discussion on other viable aspects of it.

Hopefully this thread will have an actively open minded discussion.

S & F
edit on 11-9-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
This map destroys Pangaea theory on its own.

I just dont see the bumping and crashing of continents or even conceive how it is possible, its almost impossible to envision.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
not agreeing or disagreing witht he expanding earth theory; but you do not need more mass to expand the earth you can just allow less density in what is already there, as someone above said it becomes more filled with empty space.
this stuff is all very interesting because the op is correct all the continents we have now do seem to connect on all sides which does pretty much eliminate the pangea theory as we know it.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
If the Earth is expanding, then what size did it start at to enable the seperation of the land masses.?

+13 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Magma from inside the earth, basically, liquid rock/metal in a high pressure environment.

As it comes to the surface it expands and cools.

Over time this has caused the earth to grow.

This is one of my theories too that I beleive is being kept hidden.

When dinosaurs were around, the world was a much smaller place physically....to go along with the smaller mass was less gravity, thus resulting in creatures being able to grow much larger than now.

Gravity had an effect on the growth rate of creatures on average.

Is there a way to measure the rate of gravity geologically to verify/debunk this like ice core samples?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I believe it is Clif High that has an in depth expanding planet model. If I remember correctly he proposes a plasma core to the earth which accretes energy from the sun and converts it into matter. It sounded plausible when I read it a year or two ago. this model would also support abiotic oil.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I like this idea, it makes a person think. One question I can think of, and sorry if it's been addressed, is where did all the water come from?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
First thing that came to my head was the expanding Earth theory. I truly believe in that theory and we are continuing to grow to this day.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Melbourne_Militia

I like that perspective. Keep in mind also, Our moon was much closer in the past and may have contributed to that lower gravity scenario. The moon is slowly traveling away from us now. Could the expanding Earth be somehow pushing it farther away as it expands?

That thought just popped into my head

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Doalrite

The Expanding Earth Theory says that the earths core is actually made up of plasma,as opposed to the generally accepted iron core.This magma is constantally creating new matter which causes the expansion.At least that is my understanding of it.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
I like this idea, it makes a person think. One question I can think of, and sorry if it's been addressed, is where did all the water come from?

Maybe from space? One thing for sure is that if the water level on earth has been constant, on a smaller globe the water level would be quite high which makes sense since most aquatic dinosaurs from millions of years ago are never found in the oceans because the oceans did not exist. They find all fossils on land even the 'ocean' aquatic dinosaurs. There are many theories as to why salt water or evidence of oceans are found in the highest mountains this theory would explain it.

As earth expanded the water levels dropped but leaving mile or more high ice sheets at the poles above sea level. As these melted the sea levels rose again.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

Oh ok, that sounds plausible. I was mainly wondering as the YT video didn't address it and just showed the Earth expanding and water magically appearing.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Earth has,over billions of years been pounded by asteroids and comets and meteors,all of which contain some moisture in the form of ice.It is from these cosmic travellers that all the water on Earth originated.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Melbourne_Militia

Not sure if this helps. I uploaded this video to youtube a couple of years back for another thread. It shows stronger gravity locations on Earth "Colored in Red & Yellow"

For what it's worth

edit on 11-9-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join