It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Tomatoes have not ripened

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I'm in Central Illinois and my garden and fruit tree [ Dwarf Peach ] all did great. Actually had to tie up some branches because of too much weight on them. Tomatoes, Ky wonder beans, pumpkin, strawberries, onions, carrots, etc... all did well and some still producing. Thought I was going to lose some because of the drought, but they did ok with minimal water. Now that it's rained often over the last weeks, the tomatoes are getting their 2nd wind.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Hi there....

Pacific NW here and my tomatoes were awful the last two years but this year they are fantastic!!

Tomatoes need calcium to fruit. Lots of calcium. I started putting all my eggshells in the dirt where I planned to put tomatoes and I started my plants from heirloom seeds in March/April. I have romas, cherry and some big beefsteak types and they are all awesome. Lots of deep root watering too.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
this happened to me at the start of the year with my tomato's.

You need to pick them with the vine still attached put them in a dark cubboard

They will ripen after a few days.

its been happen to people in my area for some years seems like the only method to get tomato's

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I am no pro at gardening either but had mixed results this year. Tomatoes didn't do too bad. Although I expected a higher yield, they did ripen and we enjoyed quite a few cherry, roma and beefsteaks. Cherry bomb peppers did quite well but the sweet peppers right next to them did poorly. Onions and okras did well. Low yield on potatoes but the carrots are looking pretty good at this point.

Major problem this year were bugs. Cutworms did a number on my lettuce and squash vine borers destroyed most of my squash plants. We had very hot and dry weather this year as well. I noticed many days where the plants were wilting in the heat even though they were watered well.

Next year I plan to bury a drip irrigation system and enhanced the soil with a healthy dose of compost I've been collecting all summer. Going to plant some stuff in a shadier part of the yard next year as well (lettuce, beans etc.) It is a work in progress; my gardens and my skills that is

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Lots of great imput here. For me and my garden, only guessing, but I think it was primarily the extreme searing heat we had for the last 8 weeks. It was painful to be out in the sun! Add to that depleted soil and you get less fruit and no ripening.

Can you summarize Ed Dames's vision? That's a long video.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
From UK, have a south facing garden, my tomatoes are in a greenhouse and i have barely had a red one. My apple tree was bad this year and pears arent fairing too good either. All in all its been a very bad year for growing veg.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I live in southern California and I have an avocado tree in my yard. Every year or so, it produces baskets of ripe avocados that fall from the tree if they’re not picked. This year, for some reason, baskets of immature avocados are falling from the tree instead of mature ones. This has never happened before. The wind hasn’t been any more extreme this year, so that can’t be the factor. I’m as perplexed as you as to why this is happening.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Wow
No insult to you, but that looks pathetic. Have you been feeding your tomatoes

I actually live right below you in Pasadena and I had the exact opposite situation. My tomatoes blossomed very early and I have already harvested twice. I feed Vigaro which is a very good food. I also had some spider mite and grasshopper issues.

You guys up in the high desert have had a tad bit more rain than we've had around these parts...even so, I'm sure you water on a regular basis right...like every other day I hope. You might have some nasty lil' critters eating up your roots (but your plants look healthy, just under developed). If I were you, I'd definitely get those lil' ladies some food ASAP! You could quite possibly have gotten a bad bunch of plants which were cloned from an underproducing mother. Were they clones, grown from seed or seeds? If you reply I may be able to help you out a tad bit more as that scenario would make a HUGE difference. Also, If you used seeds, how old were they and what brand?

That's very strange for your plants to be that well aged and still be green, especially where you live. I hope your fruits ripen soon. That pumpkin looks GREAT

ETA
After a second look at your pics of the tomato plant, it looks like you have a potassium & potash deficiency....go get some food!
edit on 9/11/12 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Southern Ontario here, Last year we had no Tomatoes at all, little green rocks is all we got.
This year tons compared to last year and they are really tasty and ripe.

Just thought we would chime in for reference here.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Most of what we planted grew in abundance. Tomatoes, potatoes, corn, green beans and pumpkins all came out quite nicely and tasty.

I live in southern Manitoba where many farmers are recording a good harvest.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch
They were loaded with flowering blooms, and nary a one turned into a zuc...I read where you can manually pollinate them, so even tried that.

In order to self pollinate zucchinis, you have to have a female flower and a male flower, my plants produced almost all male flowers this year, except for only a couple

If there are both types of flower but the tiny fruit appear to be rotting or dying on the vine, this is a sign of inadequate pollination (also called "fruit abortion"). In addition to the brush method mentioned above, one can simply pick a male bloom, peel off all the flower petals and lightly dust pollen onto the pistils of the females with the male stamen. Several females can be pollinated with one male. It is easiest to do early in the morning when the blooms are open.

faq.gardenweb.com...

male flowers have a regular stem, female flowers have a bulb or "small fruit" between the stem and flower.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Aww.. I feel bad for ya

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

Well I did say it was one sorry garden! I've never fed my garden other than at the beginning of the growing season. I plant once in late march/early april in amended soil, I use Amend tilled in and in the winter add aged chicken manure and some horse manure. I water daily, and during the last 3 months, 2x a day. Lots of sun, no rain to speak of this year, our area missed out on the thunder showers. I do agree, soil depletion, but there was something else going on here also, and I think it was the severe heat. I mentioned some rogue tomato plants, and they usually grow equally well in whatever spot they transplant and they didn't ripen either. So, I am going with the Purdue study that says tomatoes don't like to ripen in over 85 degree weather, since everyday from 8 am to 8 pm it ranged from 90 to 105 degrees. Everyone around here could not stop talking about the unusual stretch of heat.

Could also have been the plants and seeds. They were heirloom but a year old, the seeds, and the plants were heirloom from Lowes, so who knows, Oh and some were from seed left from old fruit that rotted there from last year.

All these things I've done before, but I might have just pushed my luck this time!
Next year, fresh seed, fresh planting area and if we see another scorcher, I'll add some sort od shade.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

My tomatoes didn't do as well this year, even though the weather was much better, but I suspect it was because I tried a different pruning strategy with them this year and it didn't quite work out.

My father's tomatoes are doing well, and my neighbors' as well -- they expect to get a similar harvest to last year.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
OK...anybody else got this going on...I went out to give my toms some tlc..you know where you'prick out' your tom plants as they grow...well bugger me stems are growing there again! Now these plants had been pricked out a good 2-3 months ago. To be specific these are the moneymaker variety which I am growing in pots next to the house wall.

I went into my little greenhouse to cut away the dead stuff off my toms....and they have had a second growth spurt at the top only, and I have had to put up a temporary netting support as they are growing up across the slope of the greenhouse roof! this is just over this last week end. Next to the toms in the greenhouse I have a cucumber.....and it has done the same...a second growth spurt.

Now....last year my strawberries had a second 'flowering' in September....this year I have had a massively dissapointing one single small bowl of strawberries...and that's from 30'ish plants!

I give up on trying to figure this out.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Darce

Wow, thanks for that video.
This video really made me think.
I work in an agricultural job, and am to be looking out for a certain fungus/mold in the corn this fall that can kill the cattle we feed (what corn is left after the drought that is).

On that note, the corn situation is gonna be serious this year folks..
edit on 11-9-2012 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
(In title) My Tomatoes have not ripened

All is not lost as you can make jars of green tomato chutney. I don't suppose you get decent Somerset chedder in California, so you'll never get the full taste sensation, but stick it in a burger and I'm sure it'll taste yummy.

The cooler summer in the UK has made my tomato harvest a bit of a failure, but hey ho, that’s global warming for you! Joking aside, some summers are hot and some summers are less hot. If you want predictability then move to Singapore.

Originally posted by SunnyDee
As a regular here, I secretly wonder if Fukushima is affecting my garden, but there is still plenty of vegetables in the stores, so this must be wrong.

It’s hardy “secretly wondering” if you tell everyone. I think you should stick to the more plausible possibilities such as cooler weather, less sunlight, tired soil, poor seed stock, disease etc...

Regards

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

You're welcome tinker9917!

SunnyDee you should really watch the vid too. Basically Maj. Dames and his team look into possible future timelines using a technique known as "remote viewing". What they have found is that the sun is going to cook us like a rotisserie. It's not a bad idea to keep some of your tomato plants in pots in the future, so you can get them out of that wicked-hot sun if need be.

"Bring your tomatoes inside" as they say, on ATS's schizoid little brother forum.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I live in Northern California.

This is the first year I've ever tried to grow anything.

I planted tomatoes.

I'm getting between two to five tomatoes a day off my sigle vine.

It's "saucing" time!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join