It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freeze Dried Food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
So I was wondering if any of you have a good supplier? I see so many but I'm sure 1/2 are a rip off. There is a ATS sponsor that it seems to be mainly non-meat food...not bad, I can hunt for my meat, but I'm not sure if it is worth the cost since the ingredients can be very healthy but can also be rather cheap to buy.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
grow / catch all mine... wont touch western food makes me sick...
however have heard that for dehydrated food ( dunno how people can call it food..) that mountain home makes good ones... try looking in a camping / hiking supply shop they probably carry lots...

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

It's actually called Mountain House. Like all freeze dried food it tastes like crap. I guess if you really need to eat, it is food.

To the OP why are you looking to buy freeze dried food? If you're a hunter, you're better off spending money on ammo. Eating squirrels is pretty gross but its better than the freeze dried food.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
grow / catch all mine... wont touch western food makes me sick...
however have heard that for dehydrated food ( dunno how people can call it food..) that mountain home makes good ones... try looking in a camping / hiking supply shop they probably carry lots...

Ya that stuff is expensive. I'm looking more along the lines of a years worth for 4 with a 25 plus year shelf life... Kind of like I'll never eat it unless TSHTF

edit on 10-9-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux
reply to post by Expat888

It's actually called Mountain House. Like all freeze dried food it tastes like crap. I guess if you really need to eat, it is food.

To the OP why are you looking to buy freeze dried food? If you're a hunter, you're better off spending money on ammo. Eating squirrels is pretty gross but its better than the freeze dried food.

Oh I got guns and ammo... and I'm good on water with a year round running stream near my house and reverse osmoses water filer system. Most of my house is natural gas and my generator is natural gas... I could go wood burning if need be too.

I think my one area lacking is long term of adequate food and I think a year's supply would be enough to get me up and running if stuff really goes bad...not that I would ever really eat it if things do not go bad..hense the 25 plus years shelf life.

edit on 10-9-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

I wouldn't waste money on the freeze dried food if you're just staying at home. The reason they are so expensive is due to the fact they are light, for packing trips. There are so many options if you are just staying home during a crisis. Beans, rice and even pasta lasts a long time if kept in the right envirement.

If you really wanna go the freeze dried route, prepare to spend a little cash. There isn't a "cheap" kind.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
If you want dry, buy a dehydrator. If you want those to last, put them in bags and scuk thr air out of them, then put them in the freezer.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I've been shopping at Camping Survival . com for years. Good stuff, good selection, good service, fair prices.

take a browse
www.campingsurvival.com...

Everything from prepared meals to the raw ingredients to make your own meals and even the seeds to get you started. I highly recommend the Yoders canned bacon for a good morale booster once and awhile. I was very surprised by this stuff.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

I've been shopping at Camping Survival . com for years. Good stuff, good selection, good service, fair prices.

take a browse

Everything from prepared meals to the raw ingredients to make your own meals and even the seeds to get you started. I highly recommend the Yoders canned bacon for a good morale booster once and awhile. I was very surprised by this stuff.

Cool thanks

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I don't do the freeze dry, as I have my own dehydrator.

I looked at the expense of buying my own freeze dry method or buying vendor stuff, but dehydrating with desiccate packets, and a vaccuum sealer has worked out well and it's less impact on my wallet. Just need to mark when you dehydrate and keep a good rotation going.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

take a browse

lol I am checking out their site right now, a brand of the eggs is named "Ova Easy", I think that is a damn good name, very funny.
In some thread here, I have been searching for it for a few weeks now and would greatly appreciate any help, someone either mentioned or posted a link that had a sort of survival soup. It was something about getting your own bucket, some rice, beans, whatever freeze dried veggies you want, etc. It had ideas about adding bouillon and other stuff for different flavors, and I think they even had down some basic calorie content for a one cup scoop.
edit on 13-11-2012 by smashdem because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join