It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

new prob in yellowstone and its not quacks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I don't even know what to say about this so I will leave it to you to form your own opinion.

hantavirus hits yellowstone
edit on 8-9-2012 by angryamerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
I don't even know what to say about this so I will leave it to you to form your own opinion.

hantavirus hits yellowstone
edit on 8-9-2012 by angryamerican because: (no reason given)

No info, no opinion of your own , no picture, nothing. I am not even clicking the link goodbye.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
You mean Yosemite?

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I've been following this and Hanta Virus is nothing new or different. A handful of Americans get it and die from it every year. It's generally only in the Southwest but it's like the Plague case in Colorado right now. It's shocking...only when one realizes the Media simply doesn't report the others that come up here often enough to be a routine of sorts.

The location is a bit odd, but if Park Rangers and staff of the parks handled the clean up and rodent issues a bit better, perhaps this wouldn't be a problem. Then again, they could have gotten off their asses and given visitors the notifications of what to watch for and avoid...but chose not to as I've been following this. Why panic anyone right? Why indeed......I think there are some infected who can answer the Whys of giving warning about touching dried rodent poop....which is what spreads this.

It's Yosemite, not Yellowstone...for the major ongoing crisis right now? Unless something has changed and it's in that park now as well?

Hanta Virus in Yosemite
edit on 8-9-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
What?

Quacks?

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
This virus is nothing new to the N.W. We get it every year. Numbers and cases are few, but it exist none the less. At any given time i could take you to a few forest service cabins that i would guarantee have this virus within its walls.
Anyone that lives in the area knows to keep a eye out for it. Its the influx of out of state visitors that end up being the problem. They are uneducated as to what is around. The ones that book their stay and trip need to be more up front and let them know in advance that it is there and the possibility of contracting it is real if they do not use precaution.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ExNihilo

So far, eight Yosemite visitors are confirmed to have contracted the virus, with three dead of Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome—a variation of Hantavirus that’s not communicable between humans, but which can be transmitted to humans through contact with excrement, saliva, or urine from infected mice. The National Park Service, along with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), are aggressively trying to contact people who recently visited Yosemite and could be at risk. Read more: What’s Going on With Yosemite and Hantavirus? - Popular Mechanics

Is that enough?

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

But when you in a large quack you must remember to Duck and Cover.
Very sorry for that. Just had to do it

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Once a person becomes infected through contact with the urine, saliva, or feces of an infected mouse, the virus can incubate for up to 6 weeks before symptoms begin to appear. For the 22,000 people that are receiving warnings about it, this means the start of a waiting game, watching their bodies for fever, aches, and coughing. Read more: What’s Going on With Yosemite and Hantavirus? - Popular Mechanics

This is one part of the link that caught my eye. I know that the area was sanitized and the park is open again. There was one thread on here that said up to 10000 people could have been exposed. More than likely this wont be a problem but i didn't know it had a 6 week incubation period.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Sorry I tried to correct my post on the parks and misspellings but waited to long because of PC issues. It may be old news to some of you but its new to a lot of us and I felt It needed to be brought to attention.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
Sorry I tried to correct my post on the parks and misspellings but waited to long because of PC issues. It may be old news to some of you but its new to a lot of us and I felt It needed to be brought to attention.

Oh hey, you sound sorry to have posted it. Don't be! This is important news to get out there. If the presence of the Hanta Virus and how it's actually spread were better known by the public, I'll bet we'd see fewer cases than we actually do! So you goofed the park name... I'd be embarrassed to admit how many times I got those two park names crossed over the years.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Hey at least they both start with a Y. I don't think people can really complain too much, its not like you switched Yosemite for Smoky Mountains! Haunta Virus outbreaks are seen out west and usually do not get much coverage. There was a small outbreak when I was taking a wildlife class where we had to skin and stuff mice so I got a little more information about it then was on the news. If you see mouse droppings, spray them with water or a solution of water and bleach before cleaning them up. Make sure to wear a dust mask as well. I have never understood why when I see an article about Haunta they don't add in those simple tips that would probably prevent some of the infections...

Even with the misspellings it's a good thing to bring attention to this since it could spread eventually. People really need to know what is going on outside but most are so detached they have no idea until they are directly effected.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Colorado: Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome 8 cases - 3 have been fatal - are linked to visitors who stayed in Yosemite National Park.Yosemite officials are notifying 6,000 people who stayed in the area, but the CDC has said that @ 10,000 people stayed in the cabins between June 10 and Aug. 24. There has been a significant increase in HPS cases this year compared to all of the reported cases in the previous 19 years, according to the CDC.

www.cdc.gov... Total of HPS cases over 19 year time frame: 583

www.cdc.gov... HPS 2012 cumulative case count as of July 3, 2012: 602

No cases of person-to-person transmission of HPS have occurred in the U.S., according to the CDC, but evidence shows infection via human-to-human contact has been proven in Hantavirus outbreaks in Argentina. Infection usually occurs via inhalation of contaminated rodent excrement. www.sciencedirect.com...

Bacteria and chemicals are carried in the dust particles from dust storms. Small particles can slip past a body's natural defenses -- nose hairs, for example -- to infiltrate and damage one's respiratory system.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Anticipate more dust being blown into the air due to heat waves and drought across the country. "Anything that is loose on the soil is going to be picked up by these storms" according to William Sprigg, Climate Scientist for NASA and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The link between dust storms and the subsequent infections is currently being investigated by Sprigg. Other parts of the world that are more familiar with the dangers of dust storms have research that suggest a possible link between the two. Respiratory problems and meningitis epidemics have been more common a week after a dust storm.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
here is one that has nothing to do with a park

Home Used in 'Hoarding' TV Show Quarantined After Positive Hantavirus Test

As I said before Hantavirus may be old news to some but its not to all I am from Michigan and have hunted sense leaving the service not once did I ever hear of this. I camp and spend as much time as much out doors as possible.
edit on 10-9-2012 by angryamerican because: fixing spelling

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

Considering that I've cleaned up after familial hoarders, that bears some thought.

top topics

join