It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Transparent Creatures!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Guys! Here are some of the most captivating transparent animals, from jellyfish to frogs to butterflies! Nature sure is fascinating!

Transparent Frog

Native to Venezuela, the Glass Frogs belong to the amphibian family Centrolenidae (order Anura). While the general background coloration of most glass frogs is primarily lime green, the abdominal skin of some members of this family is transparent, so that the heart, liver, and digestive tract are visible through their translucent skin. (Photo by Heidi and Hans-Jurgen Koch)

Transparent Head Fish

This bizarre deep-water fish called the Barreleye (Macropinna microstoma) has a transparent head and tubular eyes. It has extremely light-sensitive eyes that can rotate within his transparent, fluid-filled shield on its head, while the fish's tubular eyes, well inside the head, are capped by bright green lenses.

Transparent Butterfly

Found in Central America, from Mexico to Panama, the Glasswing Butterfly (Greta Oto) is a brush-footed butterfly where its wings are transparent. The tissue between the veins of its wings looks like glass. (Photo by Hemmy)

Transparent Squid

Found on the southern hemisphere's oceans, the Glass Squid (Teuthowenia pellucida) has light organs on its eyes and possesses the ability to roll into a ball, like an aquatic hedgehog. It is prey of many deep-sea fish (eg goblin sharks) as well as whales and oceanic seabirds. (Photo by Peter Batson)

Transparent Zebrafish created by scientists

This see-through zebrafish was created in 2008 by scientists so they can study disease processes, including the spread of cancer. The transparent fish are allowing researchers at Children's Hospital Boston to directly view fish's internal organs and observe processes such as tumor growth in real-time in living organisms. (Photo by LS)

Transparent Amphipod

Called Phronima, this unusual animal is one of the many strange species recently found on an expedition to a deep-sea mountain range in the North Atlantic. In an ironic strategy for survival, this tiny shrimplike creature shows everything it has, inside and out, in an attempt to disappear!

Transparent Larval Shrimp

Found in the in the waters around Hawaii, this transparent larval shrimp piggybacks on an equally see-through jellyfish. (Photo by Chris Newbert/Minden Pictures)

Transparent Jellyfish

Jellyfish are free-swimming members of the phylum Cnidaria. They are found in every ocean, from the surface to the deep sea. Many jellies are so transparent that they are almost impossible to see. The one above is from the Arctapodema genus, with a size of an inch-long (2.5-centimeter-long). (Photo by Bill Curtsinger)

Here's more of those fascinating creatures...

Ours is a beautiful world with great biological diversity, but a world that is gradually being destroyed through exploitation. Pollution of our air, rivers, oceans, even soils goes on almost without constraint. Our industries continue to dump poisons at their convenience, most fish in the sea are already too impregnated with mercury for safe human consumption, safe water supplies are diminishing, and the air we breathe in almost every city is contaminated.

We need to drastically change our course starting now! We have a responsibility to preserve it and prevent the destruction of our beautiful planet, our home in the universe.

www.funonthenet.in...
izismile.com...

edit on 8-9-2012 by OrionHunterX because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/9/12 by masqua because: Added 'ex' tags for external content

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
That fish is the wierdest thing I've ever seen! I first thought the eyes were the small dark circles at the front but it turns out they are the huge green domes facing upwards! Apparently the organs of the fish are bioluminescent as well - truly amazing how some creatures evolve!

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Very interesting thread.

Thanks for posting the pics.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Wow, what an awesome thread! My favourite would have to be the Glass Frog...EPIC!!!

S&F

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
We have some amazing and interesting life forms on this planet. You have to admit, some life forms can be absolutely beautiful to look at. Great photos!

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Wow!!!
And we go looking for aliens outside our planet!

S&F

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrionHunterX

Transparent Head Fish

[img]
[/img]

It looks like he/she/ is having a bad day at black rock . I don't say alot of nice things but this is
A good find orion hunter.

edit on 8-9-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-9-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
hahaha... yeah, that fish looks like he's thinking, "Yeah I have a see-through head, so what!?"

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Wonder when they will start creatIng the first transparent human?

Thank you for sharing those amazing photos.

I love it

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It won't be long before people want to know what they taste like

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Awesome!

S&F

Thanks for sharing these amazing looking creatures with us.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Cue Andrew Zimmerman, the guy for the food network show where he eats weird stuff....

Like the show, he'll leave the meat and eat the grossest part, and call it a delicacy. Why out of a 1000lbs. animal is the spleen the best part????

The animals are crazy, my kids loved them. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Great post!
They all are wicked cute but the frog made me "d'awwww" (audibly may I add, my Husband looked at me funny.)

Nature is awesome

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
i didn't know frog's like peas.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
i'm waiting for transparent government to show up.

it is an elusive creature.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

Incredible images. That frog looks tasty.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Look interesting but are these even real?

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Shrimp look like gigantic bugs, how does anyone eat them

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by saiyankev
Look interesting but are these even real?

Yup

edit on 8-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join