It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Revoke The Rights and Protections Awarded to Heterosexual Married Couples

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick

Instead of trying to find equality in a system that was created out of hatred. Two wrongs don't make a right it only distracts from the solution.

That is exactly what this is all about.

The entire license system was a result of hatred and oppressive policy seeking to achieve one goal: discrimination against the undesirables.

Any reformation of this will not remedy it's underlying purpose, to discriminate and control.
Abolition appears to be the only real remedy.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick

It would be wiser to admit that the government recoginizing marriage in the first place was wrong and unfair and any further laws supporting marriage would only add fuel to the fire one way or another.
Let's support a system that supports unions regardless of gender or race.
Instead of trying to find equality in a system that was created out of hatred. Two wrongs don't make a right it only distracts from the solution.

You sent me to a Life Site - - family etc. Not a site you want to use in debate with me.

No - - you don't go backwards before you go forward.

This is TODAY! Many things start for the wrong reason. Its about what it is TODAY.

Marriage is Marriage - - - anything else would not be EQUAL.

If you're trying to use religion as a valid argument with me - - you are wasting your time.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

The unfortunate part is that one has to wade through the hatred and oppression in order to arrive at the truth.
For a very compassionate or mainstream deluded person this is a great obstacle.

It's sad when our hearts are used against us regardless of our comprehension level or perspective on reality.
In reality it is a very sick and twisted world that we find ourselves in and at the end of the day i know that i have made mistakes but i hold dear to the fact that i am not better than anyone only different.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
OH NO! - - - our government made this Legal Contract mistake a hundred years ago.

We are going to correct that now.

Oh sorry LGBT - - - its nothing against you - - we've just decided to completely eliminate Legal marriage.

Sorry - - but your timing was just off. I'm sure you understand.

Yeah Right!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Even though a lot of straight people who are married are against gay marriage, I would never wish for their benefits to be taken away from them - just that gay people get their's.

Just because one group isn't playing nice doesn't mean you have to stoop to that level. Be beyond it.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
Oh, this old "Chestnut"...

After seven pages of intelligent arguing.

We are no further along.

This is planting season, and the seeds have been sown.

Soon will come the harvest, and we will reap our rewards as a result of our efforts.

It takes time for these little seeds of truth to sprout into trees of liberty.
Patience is a virtue, after all.

We must resist the urge to give into our impetuous nature.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
the rights and protections awarded to heterosexual married couples were here way before gayness infiltrated society. why was that you ask? because God gave us these as our natural rights.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Theophorus

"infiltrated" as if gay people were an army or something from ancient times trying to sneak into society. Your "God" didn't give you anything but a discriminating heart...

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Amen, Brother

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Theophorus

I don't think that he gave us the rights you speak of.
IMO He gave us the right to choose based on our knowledge of right or wrong.
There are many more factors besides right or wrong that play into ones decisions.
The only right that was given to you or me is the right to love one another.(not love on one another)

In the end Jesus will judge us all based on our willingness to love. Things like justice,freedom,and vengeance belong to the lord.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
My name is AfterInfinity, and I approve of this thread.

In all seriousness, this is an awesome approach to the idea. No one understands the true implications of their nutcase ideas until they're subjected to it.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Exactly.
Thank-you to those of you that get it.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Areas affected include Social Security benefits, veterans' benefits, health insurance, Medicaid, hospital visitation, estate taxes, retirement savings, pensions, family leave, and immigration law.

^ None of these should be dependent on marriage in the first place. Married, non-married, gay, straight- none of these things should be tied to marital status. Give everyone these rights and I wonder how many people would care about the marriage/civil union issue at all?

Personally, I know I wouldn't care if the government decided not to recognize my marriage. It's the religious aspect that matters to me.
edit on 7-9-2012 by LeSigh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Part of me says, "Who cares?" My reasoning behind this is all marriage is is a piece of paper which tells the government and whatever corporation who has control over your life you get added benefits. If you love someone, who the hell cares? You don't need the piece of paper to prove your love, or a diamond, or a ring. What changes when you get married? Absolutely nothing, except you can let yourself go because you don't have to impress anyone anymore.

Another part of me says when everyone has the same opportunity to make the same wages, THEN marriage between two people of any sexuality should be allowed. If men make more than women in the business world, it's quite possible for two men to make more after taxes than a man and a woman, all other things being equal.

Finally, the last part of me says, "It's your life, do whatever the hell you want."

Honestly, I don't care who you go home to after work. That's not my business. I do, however, know some couples affected by this garbage. And that's what it is: Garbage. The government is in direct violation of the Bill of Rights, and if any lawyer actually had the balls to put a case together, The People vs. The United States, it would be a landslide victory. If there's any lawyer willing to at least sit in my corner, I'll do the talking...

I remember learning about separation of church and state. Evangelicals and Fundamentalists don't.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

If they are unwilling to allow(insert word or words of your choice(besides marriage)) for gay and lesbian couples, than yes i would agree, as it is only fair to have equal protection under the law. I never saw the clause that said unless your gay in there any place. I dont believe it should be called marriage, as traditionally throughout all of human history, in every coulture, it was between a man and a woman. (insert word or words of your choice(besides marriage)) for gay and lesbians should be as equally lawful and legally binding, as they have a right to love who they want, not who you want.

I cant believe i am saying this, but op, I believe your proposal is the most sound i have heard to resolve this issue fairly.

Star and flag

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
gay marriage goes against the whole point of legal marriage. the whole point is to give people an incentive to procreate. that is it. and gay people can not procreate. therefor no legal marriage. if you want to get married because your in love, then go talk to your stupid churches, masques, temples, etc. they deal with the love BS.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeSigh

Areas affected include Social Security benefits, veterans' benefits, health insurance, Medicaid, hospital visitation, estate taxes, retirement savings, pensions, family leave, and immigration law.

^ None of these should be dependent on marriage in the first place.

But they are. And LGBT are not yet allowed this Equality.

Married, non-married, gay, straight- none of these things should be tied to marital status. Give everyone these rights and I wonder how many people would care about the marriage/civil union issue at all?

Opinion does not change the fact these things are privileges afforded only through LEGAL marriage. And denied to LGBT - - - even those legally married in their state.

Personally, I know I wouldn't care if the government decided not to recognize my marriage.

People keep saying this - - and I'd bet 99% of them are Legally married and taking advantage of the privileges it affords them.

It's the religious aspect that matters to me.

But I don't care. It's your religion - - not mine.

I am as much a part of this country as any religious person. Legal marriage is a government contract - - and has nothing to do with religion.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by david99118
gay marriage goes against the whole point of legal marriage. the whole point is to give people an incentive to procreate. that is it. and gay people can not procreate. therefor no legal marriage. if you want to get married because your in love, then go talk to your stupid churches, masques, temples, etc. they deal with the love BS.

Oh please. The procreation angle has been talked to death.

There are over 300 million people in America alone. We don't need to procreate.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by david99118

The original point of the marriage license was to prohibit interracial marriage. Right now, the legal benefits of marriage may be to give an incentive to raise families, not necessarily to procreate. Gay people can procreate, using invitro fertilization and surrogates. They can adopt too. There's nothing stopping a gay couple from raising a family. Many gay couples are already raising families, right now, as we speak. And, there are plenty of heterosexual couples who have decided not to raise a family at all. No one is prohibiting them from getting a marriage license.
edit on 7-9-2012 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join