It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible for an atheist parent to not force the same belief on their children?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
As an atheist, I feel the core principle of me is to have a open mind, to not push a belief on another, and let them make their own mind up. The only thing to offer, be it a friend or family, is a different perspective when appliable.

I am a fan of personal spirituality and if someone adopts a religion while seeking out their spiritual path, so be it.

I think there is a higher chance a atheist parent (proper atheist, not some cynical mad at god nonsense stuff) is more likely to have a open minded and more science oriented kid though as they teach to think and question verses the opposite.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Who would have thought that some people of JOB'S day understood the hydrological cycle. I didn't learn it until the seventh grade.

JOB verse 36 NIVR

27 “He makes mist rise from the water.
Then it falls as rain into the streams.
28 The clouds pour down their moisture.
Rain showers fall on people everywhere.
29 Who can understand how God spreads out the clouds?
Who can explain how he thunders from his home in heaven?
30 See how he scatters his lightning around him!
He lights up the deepest parts of the ocean.
31 The rain he sends makes things grow for the nations.
He provides them with plenty of food.
32 He holds lightning bolts in his hands.
He commands them to strike their marks.
33 His thunder announces that a storm is coming.
Even the cattle let us know it’s approaching

Also Psalms 22 is good reading regarding what Jesus said as he hung from the cross
edit on 9-9-2012 by elfrog because: spelling

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by RedParrotHead

It's easy for an atheist parent to allow their children to dabble in spirituality.

It's not easy for a spiritual parent to allow their children to refrain from spirituality.

An atheist parent will think it doesn't matter, they'll learn eventually. Kind of like drugs and bad music. A spiritual parent will fear for the soul of their child.

I explained to my daughter where religion comes from and the roles it played throughout homo sapiens' "intelligence". It all makes sense to her. Her grandmother pushes religion and sends her to VBS when she has my daughter. I'm not worried about it. She needs to see what it's all about. I'm worried about her grandad taking her for motorcycle rides. I think I've finally demonstrated how extremely dangerous they are compared to cars.

As far as bad music goes, thankfully she's not interested in new country (proud to be ignorant?). She's an AC/DC and Pink Floyd fan.

I hope she tries some drugs someday. There's a great source for revelation. I don't advocate drugs. That would make me a "bad parent". I just tell her which drugs are bad. She knows she's being lied to by the government.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by FoosM

I'm as atheist as the next heathen but I guess Christianity carries more weight than others because it is most prominent with my family, grandparents and such

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gwampo
I pity the child with atheist parents.

/sarcasm//: That'll give those kids the ethic/moral background they need. /end_sarcasm

My child is considerate, helpful, and thoughtful. She's happy and creative. She deflects others' hate and jealousy with smiles and encouragement. She's much like I was as a child. At around 4, I determined that the adults were believing in many lies, including God.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
I can't take back the things i said or did, but Jesus will wipe those memories from our minds and there will be no more tears. That's what i want, no more tears

I wouldn't avoid the memories. Suppressing memories can make one neurotic. The proper approach is to relive the questionable memories without feeling bad or good. There might be a lesson to be learned in what had been a painful recollection. Also, memories are what we are. Our future is uncertain. Our present makes more memories. When we describe ourselves, we are using memories. When we reflect and enjoy the breadth of our lives, we are using memories. When we cultivate wisdom, we are using memories.
edit on 10-9-2012 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by axslinger

Are you agreeing that we are born atheist, and that it takes heavy indoctrination to become religious?

There's always meaningful coincidence to rein in the stray sheep later on.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by elfrog

Yes, we used to anthropomorphize nature. I would hope that we're beyond that now.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by gentledissident

Just revisiting this old thread (and can't believe I'm making an argument FOR religion) but being born atheist does not necessarily make that state of mind superior. If religion is viewed as a being a good thing - a thing that further elevates humans in some way then it must of course be taught. Just like reading, writing, music, baseball...

Now, one could also point out that bad things are taught too - it's a matter of what you believe is "good" I guess.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

I don't believe in any god. My fiance does although she doesn't attend church or practice any type of spirituality of any form. We have 2 girls, one is 9 the other is 13. 9yr old believes in god the 13 yr old just says she isn't sure. We have had quite a few conversations over the last couple of years as to why I don't believe. One thing I do constantly tell them is church, and the friends and bonds you make there can be a very good thing. I grew up in the church. I have been to central america twice as a teen with the church, as well as all over the south east u.s. for different things. It was, without question, fantastic. I made lifelong friends and memories that are some of the best in my life.

But, it didn't make god real for me. So I just explain that while I have come to the conclusion that there is no god, I want them to know that I could be wrong. It's not for me to tell them if it's true or not because it is, imo, unknowable. They have to decide for themselves and if it feels right go with it. If they want to go to church I'm more than happy to get them there.

I, unlike many, don't see religion as some dark entity created as a submission tool for the masses. While it is used in that sense sometimes I think it stems for our need to know or make sense of our existence. I would never degrade faith to my kids and with my positive experience I probably encourage it more than anything. (unless it scientology then I make fun)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   
The simple answer should be;

"That if you are going to be one who subscribes to these stories; they should be viewed in the same way as any allegory or fairy tale. Because religion only becomes dangerous when it is viewed from the perspective of historical truth; or something which is anything other than a man/authors interpretation of wisdom which he believed to be divinely inspired.

If this is not how the Biblical stories are approached; then you find yourself having to defend the indefensibly contradictory aspects within it; and confusing yourself in the 'morals' that they were (sometimes incorrectly, or outdated) trying to teach us.

When you lose focus on these that were the only true beneficial aspect of the Biblical texts; you lose all value in that it has to offer.

The only thing that should be taken from stories such as Noah is; if someone is watchful and 'connected' with the world around them; then they will find that they are able to prepare for that which the world might bring upon them. And that those who are not connected, shall find themselves unprepared."

Everything else in the story is relevant; including the 'Godly' aspects of it; which are as disputable to this day; as how they fed the carnivorous animals on the Ark.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Children are though matter. They are more to God that most of the Adults, thus any interference is unnecessary, even wrong. I would suggest constantly to assure them to believe their feelings and to remind that people speak and theorize too much because they are not having enough fun.

I can guarantee, that after this positive brainwash, when the time come for a person to put in logical manner the world around, it will have enough spiritual power to guide itself through the maze of religion/science/culture zombism. You dear parent are not in control, you are a guide.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join