It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bigger menace to society: the average criminal or the police?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

"Criminals" don’t bother me. Heck, I cant remember the last time I encountered one of these so called “criminals”.

But as for the police, not a week goes by where we don’t hear about police officers confiscating cameras, attacking protesters, SWAT teaming someone’s home, tazing someone, rape, dealing drugs, assaulting someone, even killing someone.

ATS alone has a new thread every week.

Say this was the case with any other “group”. Take your pick: Blacks, Hispanics, Muslims, Chinese, Jews, whatever; we as a society would be up in arms.

“Those Muslims are [insert derogatory term here]. Those Blacks are [insert derogatory term here]. Those Hispanics are… You get the idea.

What makes this behavior EVEN WORSE is the fact that the police are supposed to be enforcing the law, acting as an example for others: the pillars of our community.

Instead, they have become one of the most feared, distrusted and hated elements of our society.

A few stories have surfaced on ATS in which home owners were arrested for shooting home invaders. When is the last time an officer got arrested for punching, kicking, slapping or beating someone let alone tazing, shooting or killing? If there is any discipline, it's very rare and inconsequential.

The police are ABOVE the law. The common citizen is not. As a matter of fact, we’re BELOW the law. We face arrest for protecting ourselves in our own homes

Of-course they’re not “all bad”, but which group is? It doesn’t take a majority of any group for us to fear them or to be alarmed by their behavior.

And then theres the “what would we do without the police?” crowd. Nothing. Fortunately I am an able bodied person who doesn’t live in an area with a high crime rate. But if I did, I would encourage community policing. Our friends, our families, our neighbors. We have to take care of ourselves. This would drastically reduce the need for police.

We need to do what we can to get this new breed of criminal off the streets.

edit on 6-9-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

For me abuse of power and criminality are one in the same, so to draw a large distinction between the two makes little sense to me.

One slight advantage however goes to law enforcement. At least they largely wear uniforms and are thus easily identifiable and can be routinely avoided. (Always a healthy choice.
)

Civilian criminals are harder to detect.

edit on 6-9-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Good point.

Thankfully, one group is required to identify themselves, sometimes anyway.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere
"Criminals" don’t bother me. Heck, I cant remember the last time I encountered one of these so called “criminals”.

And why is that, do you think?

But as for the police, not a week goes by where we don’t hear about police officers confiscating cameras, attacking protesters, SWAT teaming someone’s home, tazing someone, rape, dealing drugs, assaulting someone, even killing someone.

Well, that's their job [except raping, dealing drugs and assaulting or killing for no reason, how common these might be?], and the reason you hear about these things is because the police is busy, and it's only news when things don't go right. You dig up the statistics on how many interventions the police does and how many end up bad?.

ATS alone has a new thread every week.

Yes?

“Those Muslims are [insert derogatory term here]. Those Blacks are [insert derogatory term here]. Those Hispanics are… You get the idea.

Racism is quite wide-spread in the U.S, and the police are ordinary people, and they might even get biased if they are working in areas with a specific ethnicity causing most of the trouble.
Clearly this needs to be addressed, but that goes for the whole nation.

What makes this behavior EVEN WORSE is the fact that the police are supposed to be enforcing the law, acting as an example for others: the pillars of our community.

And usually, they are.

Instead, they have become one of the most feared, distrusted and hated elements of our society.

Yes, by ignorant people.

edit on 6-9-2012 by Consequence because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I live in Arizona. Our sheriff is a little turd name Joe. No way I can be unbiased in this thread. I have seen too much abuse in this state by the Sheriff's office.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by crawdad1914

What protecting your peoples integrity bye trying to root out those who hamper the ability of your social services to keep up ya that bad Joe he's got it all wrong trying to force people to immigrate the proper way, and have protected borders. Bad, bad Joe..... and

SaneThinking

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
And yes I fear police more than I fear criminals, In Vancouver where I live they are a private force apart from the RCMP and are known apart from Port Moody as some of the biggest P.O.S's in all the lower mainland always assuming they are above the law. Constant misconduct, and all we can do is just enjoy the ride or be tasered into submission for speaking up. Sad world we live in today when they no longer serve and protect the public. The days acoming when i'm sure the populace has had enough, when who knows but theres that smell in the air for sure round here. People are fed up....

SaneThinking

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Same in the UK.

Our police mostly consist of smug, self-centred, psychos, bullies and violent scumbags.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Same in the UK.

Our police mostly consist of smug, self-centred, psychos, bullies and violent scumbags.

i think they list that as a requirement for the job don't they?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Why is it the police always use the "resisting arrest" line as justification? It has been established since antiquity, that one has a right to defend themselves against assault, at all times, in all situations. So the he was resisting, line doesn't fly, he was trying to stop you from kicking him and punching him in the face, that isn't resisting that is self defense.

I totally believe the police are worse than the "criminals", it is the police you always see shooting the wrong guy, beating an innocent man, shooting a detained suspect in the back, etc.

They are almost all just looking for a reason to inflict extreme bodily harm on someone at their first opportunity possible, in almost all situations.

I would like to know why soldiers in actual wrszones are held to a much higher standard, than the police, who in my experience were not "good enough" to serve in the military, for various reasons.

I have met many police who tried to be soldiers, but didn't qualify, so they became police instead. This is idiocy at its finest. I think all former soldiers should be first round draft picks for police positions, instead most are turned away, as they don't fit "the profile", myslef included, I was turned down for a local cities department, as I didn't "fit the profile".

What profile are they looking for? I was good enough fr a very high stress MOS, and was given a secret clearance for my job, yet I didn't fit the "profile" for the local PD. Even though, I am obviously, much smarter, and more controlled, and in far better physical condition than the fat idiots they are employing now.

Or is that the point?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

I've often thought this as well.

There is a double standard with regards to self protection. If we were to defend ourselves from an average thug, it would be allowed. But if we defend ourselves from a criminal policeman, we are somehow in violation of the law...

edit on 6-9-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Had a bad meal, and need help throwing up?

This will help, the Blue Line at its best.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SaneThinking

I am inclined to listen to him, He lives there and sees it close up.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

Thanks for the video, I did eat some bad general shu's chicken earlier, that really did do the trick. I feel much better now.

top topics

join