It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats drop 'GOD' and 'Jerusalem' from Party Platform

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

Originally posted by Tardacus
I don`t see the problem here.

They believe what they believe and adding or removing the word god isn`t going to change anything that they believe,just like adding or removing the word seaweed will have no affect on what they believe.

Just stand back and observe the - ripple effects of their actions -.

Removing GOD from the DNC platform was a very bad idea.

It's my guess that Obama was the one who said " Purge God from the platform."

Maybe nobody will notice.

Nice try. We are watching.

you're watching?? so what?? do you want to go back to the dark ages?...arrest them? boil them in oil? are you part of the christian taliban? maybe you want all of us to believe in a mythical god. welcome to ameristan

No, just put God and Jerusalem back into the DNC platform. That's it.

It was there in 2008. What's the big deal?

We can go ahead and pass on boiling anybody in oil.

-----------
BTW, the dark ages have returned to Egypt - Muslim Brotherhood -

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

even if religous folks can manage to shame the dem`s into putting the word god back in, will that change anything that the dem`s believe? of course it won`t, so whats the point of distracting from the real issues that affect this country by crying about the removal of the word god?

You've entirely missed the point.

1 - No one is trying to 'shame' the democrats into putting God back into their platform. if the democrats feel any shame about God not being there, then that's their own conscience talking to them .. NOT the newscaster who was doing the interview.

2 - The problem - democrats faking indignation and refusing to answer a simple question about their own party platform - that's the problem.

3 - This isn't a 'distraction'. People are capable of talking about the economy and international events AND about how politicians are all the same .. liars and deceivers. During an election year, seeing the deception put forth by these people is not a 'distraction' .. it's a necessity.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
IMO - - religion and religious based control issues have become a major distraction in politics.

If the Dems have chosen to stay away from that distraction. I'm all for it.

exactly, thats kind of the point i was trying to make in my last post.
even if religous folks can manage to shame the dem`s into putting the word god back in, will that change anything that the dem`s believe? of course it won`t, so whats the point of distracting from the real issues that affect this country by crying about the removal of the word god?

LOL

In a way its kind of comical (pathetic) that GOP have been distracted by their own distraction.

In other words - - - GOP focusing on this one aspect - - - distracts them from real issues - - - once again.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
Your original quote basically says stand up for something, and in the context of this thread, the DEMs dropping God and Jerusalem from their platform, your quote insinuated the Obama and party need to pick a side, Israel or Palestine. At least that how I read it, in the order your original quote posted.

My quote was basically saying that when those two sides are both at fault, the smart person does not just pick a side anyway, but takes a third stance.

Lots of principles and character in taking the less traveled road.

I don't see the dems embracing another "option" so much as I see them avoiding ANY option (which is an option, granted) which I find cowardly.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

The assumption that men are afraid now, as opposed to the good ole of WW2.....way to play on the holocaust emotions.
It really takes a lot of guts to not pick a side, if you ask me. It's much easier to be part of a gang,since they've got your back. But going it alone, not picking a side, you are more vulnerable, but you are hopefully picking the middle or a third stance as a matter of GREAT principle.

Like I said, not everything is always black or white, there are many shades of gray.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Well, for you, everything is apparently black and white, how nice to know such certainty.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

You've entirely missed the point.

1 - No one is trying to 'shame' the democrats into putting God back into their platform. if the democrats feel any shame about God not being there, then that's their own conscience talking to them .. NOT the newscaster who was doing the interview.

2 - The problem - democrats faking indignation and refusing to answer a simple question about their own party platform - that's the problem.

3 - This isn't a 'distraction'. People are capable of talking about the economy and international events AND about how politicians are all the same .. liars and deceivers. During an election year, seeing the deception put forth by these people is not a 'distraction' .. it's a necessity.

Yes, i saw that interview on Fox News.

Faking high minded indignation is an old DNC trick. It won't work.

-------------
The DNC just needs to return Jerusalem and God to their platform.

I would also like to know - who gave the order- ? " Purge God Altogether ! " Was it Obama?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

Well, for you, everything is apparently black and white, how nice to know such certainty.

A quote from anon.

"Stand up for something, even if it means standing alone. Because often times, the one who flys solo has the strongest wings."

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I know my source here is Rachel Maddow , a well known (gasp) liberal, but it's still the truth.

The United States Constitution -- the foundation of our government, the basis for our laws, and a model for democracies around the globe for generations -- includes no references to God. Literally, not one.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
Please notice...I did not say 'impact.'
I said 'import.'

Ok, fair enough import synonyms - significance, importance, consequence, weight, meaning, solemnity, seriousness. One could argue that I could have substituted significance, consequence, weight importance for the word I used which was impact and my point would still stand.

Let’s not get pedantic over word choice – you are above that I think.

The religious aspect of the conflict cannot be resolved by politics...and we have no business meddling in religions domestically OR abroad.

Sadly, when dealing with two nations who do not share our zeal for separation of church and state the problem is very much a political one. Sure there is a religious basis for the conflict that doesn’t negate the fact that we are dealing with two (or more) nations who do very much associate religion with their government and therefore any political solution is going to require us to pick one side or the other.

Our goal is peace for the PEOPLE who have been affected by the things that have happened since 1948...and there are no lines of any kind...religious, cultural, or ethnicity...separating those who have suffered the consequences except those artificially imposed by the various parties involved.

Our goal is nothing of the sort – it is whatever outcome is in the best interest of the people of the United States.

Then maybe we need to butt out altogether.

Perhaps but not a likely outcome – it’s about as likely as Obama riding into Jerusalem on a unicorn shooting rainbows from his hands declaring himself the savior of the Middle East.

Being concerned about what WE can GAIN by keeping someone happy...or what WE might lose if WE make someone angry...

If that is why we are involved...then there is no question that we need to remove ourselves completely and right away from all involvement.

Our politicians are elected to protect our interests even if that steps on the interests of the people of other nations – even if it results in thier deaths. Sorry, that is just a fact.

I don't have to pick a side. Neither does the US Government.

Unless the side I pick is the side of the United States...in which case...once again...my vote is for minding our own business....at least until we prove we can actually mind it in a positive fashion.

You don’t but the government does indeed – Israel is a key component to our National defense strategy in the Middle East. Palestine is not. No matter how many little kids die or go hungry or strap on a bomb and blow themselves to Allah the existence of Palestine has no strategic value for the US and until it does the policy will not change.

As a professional Soldier having studied National Defense Policy at many levels I can tell you that while I respect your concern for the people or children of Palestine, the fact remains that the US government does not exist to protect everyone it exists to protect our interests both nationally and internationally.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Consequence

Originally posted by vor78
I don't think anyone is 'mocking' them.

I was referring to the OP. And yes he was.

It's pretty clear that the reporter was just asking a simple question.
The reason he kept harping on it was because the democrat refused to answer
and then displayed some really fake indignation. The reporter wasn't mocking anyone.
Not even close. He was very polite and was obviously chosing his words carefully.

I'm still talking about the OP, not the reporter.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

reply to post by beezzer

A quote from anon.

"Stand up for something, even if it means standing alone. Because often times, the one who flys solo has the strongest wings."

Now I'm chuckling! Nice quote, way to redeem!

Back to the topic.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

The new platform also advocates public funding of abortions.

"The Democratic Party strongly and unequivocally supports Roe v. Wade and a woman’s right to make decisions regarding her pregnancy, including a safe and legal abortion, regardless of ability to pay."

Bart Stupak and his fellow Democrats for Life are not very happy at the moment
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
reply to post by FlyersFan

The new platform also advocates public funding of abortions.

"The Democratic Party strongly and unequivocally supports Roe v. Wade and a woman’s right to make decisions regarding her pregnancy, including a safe and legal abortion, regardless of ability to pay."

Bart Stupak and his fellow Democrats for Life are not very happy at the moment
www.abovetopsecret.com...

While the New GOP platform is all about apologizing for and justifying rape.

in the last month

1.Pennsylvania Senate candidate Tom Smith GOP compared a pregnancy caused by rape to "having a baby out of wedlock."

2. Todd Akin GOP Missouri senate candidate , "If it is a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to shut that whole thing down."

3. Rick Berg GOP make a woman who has an abortion in North Dakota guilty of homicide, even in cases of rape or incest, and sent to prison for life without the possibility of parole.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Democrats change platform to add God, Jerusalem
By JULIE PACE and STEVE PEOPLES
Associated Press
Posted: Wednesday, Sep. 05, 2012

www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/09/05/3506408/democrats-change-platform-to-add.html

CHARLOTTE, N.C. Democrats have changed their convention platform to add a mention of God and declare that Jerusalem is the capital of Israel.

The move came after criticism from Republicans.

Many in the audience booed after the convention chairman, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, ruled that the amendments had been approved despite the fact that a large group of delegates objected.

He called for a vote three times before ruling.

The party reinstated language from the 2008 platform that said "we need a government that stands up for the hopes, values and interests of working people and gives everyone willing to work hard the chance to make the most of their God-given potential."

The platform also now includes what advisers said was Obama's personal views on Jerusalem.

Peoples reported from Utah.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
This is just one step closer to editing the word God from all books. In this attempt at political correctness, another foundations stone of what our once great nation used as a moral compass, has been eroded. It makes sense, I guess, to those who prefer a society using as it's foundation the concept of no accountability.

jmoho...

Des

Not like we didn't know this was coming, they've been working on it for years, slowly eroding God out of America. There will always be a remnant, they can't change or stop that.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
good

anyone want whats going on in egypt here ?

didn't think so

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by wujotvowujotvowujotvo
Democrats change platform to add God, Jerusalem
Associated Press

CHARLOTTE, N.C. Democrats have changed their convention platform to add a mention of God and declare that Jerusalem is the capital of Israel.

Bummer.

But - - I still think they made their point.

edit on 5-9-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
update

AP Sources: Obama intervened on platform
Associated Press

www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/09/05/3506408/democrats-change-platform-to-add.html

CHARLOTTE, N.C. Campaign officials say President Barack Obama personally intervened to change language in his party's platform on Jerusalem and God.

Democrats amended their convention platform Wednesday to add a mention on God and declare that Jerusalem is the capital of Israel.

The officials said Obama's reaction on the omission of God from the platform was to wonder why it was removed in the first place.

GOP challenger Mitt Romney said omitting a reference to God suggested Democrats were out of touch with mainstream America. Republicans also said omitting a reference to Jerusalem showed Obama was weak on Israel.

The officials requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak about private discussions.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

Embarrassed by Republicans, Democrats amended their convention platform Wednesday to add a mention of God and declare that Jerusalem is the capital of Israel.

Many in the audience booed after the convention chairman, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, ruled that the amendments had been approved despite the fact that a large group of delegates had objected. He called for a vote three times before ruling.

The party reinstated language from the 2008 platform that said "we need a government that stands up for the hopes, values and interests of working people and gives everyone willing to work hard the chance to make the most of their God-given potential."

It also reinstated its 2008 language that Jerusalem "is and will remain the capital of Israel. The parties have agreed that Jerusalem is a matter for final status negotiations. It should remain an undivided city accessible to people of all faiths."

Democrats had approved a platform on Tuesday that made no mention of God or Jerusalem. Instead, it expressed "unshakable commitment to Israel's security."

Republicans pounced quickly on both omissions.

GOP officials argued that not taking a position on Jerusalem's status in the party platform showed the president was weak in his support of Israel. Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney said omitting God "suggests a party that is increasingly out of touch with the mainstream of the American people."

"I think this party is veering further and further away into an extreme wing that American's don't recognize," Romney said.

The Democratic Party's decision to restore the mention of Jerusalem reflected what advisers said was the president's personal view, if not the policy of his administration. The administration has long said determining Jerusalem's status was an issue that should be decided by Israelis and Palestinians in peace talks, but has been careful not to state that Jerusalem is Israel's capital.

Romney's campaign quickly sought to capitalize on the slight, but important difference.

"Mitt Romney has consistently stated his belief that Jerusalem is the capital of Israel," said Andrea Saul, Romney's spokeswoman. "President Obama has repeatedly refused to say the same himself. Now is the time for President Obama to state in unequivocal terms whether or not he believes Jerusalem is Israel's capital."

The White House wouldn't say whether the change in the Democratic platform language reflected a change in administration policy.

Democratic National Committee chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz said the reinstated party language reflected "the policy of both Republican and Democratic administrations for decades."

Following the decision, former Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland told reporters, "It was an effort to bring clarification."

But the decision to amend the platform did not rest well with some delegates.

Noor Ul-Hasan, a Muslim delegate from Salt Lake City, Utah, said she felt it went against the principle of the separation of church and state.

"There are people who don't believe in God and you have to respect that as well," Ul-Hasan said. She also questioned whether the convention had enough of a quorum to even amend the platform. "There was no discussion. We didn't even see it coming. We were blindsided by it."

Angela Urrea, a delegate from Roy, Utah, said she felt it was sprung on the convention without any discussion.

"The majority spoke last night," Urrae said, noting the platform was approved Tuesday. "We shouldn't be declaring Jerusalem as the capital of Israel."

Republicans declared Jerusalem the capital of Israel in the platform the party approved last week at its convention in Tampa, Fla.

Peoples reported from Utah. Associated Press writer Ken Thomas in Charlotte, N.C., contributed to this report.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Why should Jerusalem be mentioned in a American political convention? Some of you people seem to forget that the terrorist nation of Israel IS NOT PART OF THE UNITED STATES. The conventions both DNC and RNC should only deal with things that pertain to America and America alone.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join