I have a similar/different story.
I am a female and my ex owned the house before we met so he got it when we split. We traveled 8 months of the year for his job, together. When we
split, I hadnt worked in 8 years.
I had been a bartender previously, so finding a job wasnt too hard. I rented a place and for 2 years, did well.
I do leatherwork as a hobby and would go to Mt Man Rendezvous, various pow wows each year and sell my leatherwork. I have a large tipi that I would
set up shop in at those events.
I bought a 30 ft RV for the sole reason of needing a vehicle to haul my 27 ft tipi poles to and from each event. I bought the RV on ebay for $2500,
flew to where it was and drove it home 800 miles, no problems!
After having the RV for a few months, I wondered why I was paying $950 mo rent, when my RV was fully self contained. Even has a good sized bathtub!
But I stayed at my place and kept doing what I'd been doing for the past 2 years.
A few months later, I took vacation for 2 weeks and when I came back, the business I'd worked for had been sold, was closed for renovation, and it
became apparent that I would likely not be re-hired. At the same time, my ex had moved his new gf into my old house, and I started feeling the small
town getting even smaller...
With no other real responsibilities other than my dog, I decided to try full-timing in my RV.
That was 3 years ago. I am still living in my RV
In the past 3 years, I have...
- Worked seasonally at 2 RV parks
- Worked at a Cafe (right out of a Stephen King novel) in the middle of nowhere, in lieu of repairs/RV spot with a full hook-up, small stipend and all
- Worked a festival circuit for a year selling things I had crafted (I ran out of things to sell)
- Parked in a friend's driveway in downtown Phoenix for several months and did nothing but try to get my ducks in a row to GTH outta the city
- Cleaned up some old (over a decade) legal stuff I'd managed to avoid, while visiting my sister
- Made a little $ here and there doing internet content writing, some of which I still get residual income for from time to time
Currently, for the past year, I have been looking after an older man who has health problems and would not be able to live here on his very remote 160
acre ranch without someone here to help him.
I take him to his Dr appts in the nearest town which is 50+ miles away, do his shopping, his laundry, hire help when work needs to be done. (it isnt a
working ranch...more his sanctuary) and whatever other small things I can help with.
In return, I pay no rent, have no bills, I buy my own food, propane and gas with the small sum he pays me. But I am already living in a most awesome
bug out location, I have an awesome garden, 8 chickens 2 goats and several horses. My only neighbors (other than my employer) are deer, elk, screech
and great horned owls...lots of hawks, falcons etc...There is a rancher that lives about 5 miles away. I dont plan on leaving any time soon.
In my opinion, anyone can live happily with less. You simply choose to live more simply.
I have found a way to make it work for me. So can you!
edit on 4-9-2012 by Elostone because: (no reason given)