It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boone County homeowner shoots, kills intruder

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Police said a man broke into the basement and entered the first floor of a Boone County home in the 15000 block of Violet Road in Verona just after 2 a.m. The homeowner, Earl Jones, 92, was awakened by a noise in his basement and grabbed his .22 caliber rifle. When the intruder came through the door from the basement, Jones fired a shot, police said.

This really hits close to home for me. I have met the old man that shot and killed the intruder, and one of the burglars was my friends son.

I mow right-of-ways in Boone County Ky and mow Violet Rd where this took place.
The man that did the shooting stopped me one day and told me how bad of a job I was doing because I left a few strands of grass sticking up in front of his place. He was a grumpy old man but Im glad to see he defended his property and himself.

Anyway, the old man will not be charged because here, you can defend your home with deadly force if necessary.
I didnt know the guy that got killed but like I said, I knew one of the others since he was born. This doesnt surprise me about him because it was the way he was raised. Its sad to see that he chose this path though.

This really has me blown away. Its something that happens to people you dont know. When it hits this close to home it makes you stop and think.

I hate seeing any of the three burglars die, but that is the choice they made when they decided to rob an old man. This is the 2nd Amendment at work, the right to defend yourself, even though it is a sad situation.

www.wlwt.com...[edi tby]edit on 9/3/12 by kennylee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I thought you were going to say something a little racy or controversial. I guess not.

Punks broke in, old guy killed one. Sad, and end of story.

Let that be a lesson, even a little puny .22 is enough, so stop shopping for the .300 Win Mag and that .50 Desert Eagle. Well, maybe the 10 gauge. Everyone needs a 10 gauge.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jough626
I thought you were going to say something a little racy or controversial. I guess not.

Punks broke in, old guy killed one. Sad, and end of story.

Let that be a lesson, even a little puny .22 is enough, so stop shopping for the .300 Win Mag and that .50 Desert Eagle. Well, maybe the 10 gauge. Everyone needs a 10 gauge.

I dont understand why you would think that I was going to say something racy. Where did that come from? Im sorry if I disappointed you.

I posted this because it hit so close to home, and because of all the people on here that think we shouldnt have guns. This is why we have guns. If the old man didnt have a gun, he could have very well been killed.

One for the 2nd Amendment.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kennylee

Well, that's kinda what I was getting at. On here, people take a firm hold on either side of the great gun debate.

I agree with you, +1 for the 2nd.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
A word to the wise. There is a big difference between a 22LR hand gun and a 22LR rifle. A 22LR from a hand gun generally does not have the velocity to open up and fragment on impact. A 22LR from a rifle most definitely will.

A 22LR from a hand gun will not defeat low grade body armor. A 22LR from a rifle definitely will.

A 22LR rifle will not leave as big of a hole in you as a 45, but it will still leave a hole all the way through you unless it hits a chunk of bone. If it hits a bone, it will fragment and leave multiple wound channels through you. It is perfectly capable of going through your head and out the other side and dropping you just as fast as a head shot from any other caliber.

Granted, a 223 would be more preferable, but a 22LR rifle will definitely get the job done.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Sad to say but it appears as though we are turning back the hands of time in this country. Before long we will be having duels in the middle of the street at high noon. Almost as if we are going back to the lawless times of the old west. Not saying what is right or wrong here, but more and more gun violence and shootings to the death are becoming more prevalent and yet we tout ourselves as being a civilized nation. I doubt we can claim as such anymore.Very sad to watch this all unfold before our eyes and our children's eyes.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Yup, I know these situations all to often, being from south central texas. You made the decision to break in, face the decision for the outcome....even if it means death.
edit on 3-9-2012 by Arnie123 because: don't wanna offend anybody.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Yay for killing people!!!

Yay for the right to kill people!!!

Lets murder everyone!!!!!

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Jeez guy! lets not go overkill now!! your beginning to make me blush! you flatter me....

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

So what would you do if you were alone in your house and you heard someone break into your basement and heard them coming up the stairs to where you were at 2 o'clock in the morning?

You dont know if they have a gun and will kill you, but you DO have a gun. Do you shoot them to protect your life and your property or do you just wait to see what they want? I know you said that you werent on either side here, but Im just curious how you would handle this situation.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Good for the homeowner, glad to hear about a success story
at least they didnt arrest him for defending his home

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

What would you have done in this man's situation? By your answer quoted above, you would probably let the burglar kill you.

Hey I have an idea! Lets get everybody to quit breaking into peoples houses in the middle of the night and then they wouldnt get shot and killed!
:up :

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

You should really cut back on the estrogen
jus sayin

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
Good for the homeowner, glad to hear about a success story
at least they didnt arrest him for defending his home

Thats one good thing about living in this part of the country. You will not get arrested for defending your life or your property! Break into a home that is defended by an armed resident, then you will be killed, legally.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Home invasion has become the preferred method of, and I don't use the term lightly, terrorizing - innocents out of their belongings, sense of security, and I'm sure much more that you'd take for granted until it's taken away.

The plan was obviously to sneak up on an old man, subdue him in some fashion, take all that he had, and leave him unable to call for any assistance.

There is no other deterrent. Is there?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

jus sayin

One could say that for testosterone too, something many people here seem to have too much of.

BTW I'm a guy, so double fail.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

jus sayin

One could say that for testosterone too, something many people here seem to have too much of.

sorry, but a man defends his home and you come back with
a comment like kill everyone?
thats not right.. grow some repeaters man..
and i figured you were a guy.. hence my comment for the estrogen
we cant all expect hand someone some flowers and have a nice day
sometimes, people are bad and need to be delt with

edit on 3-9-2012 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

jus sayin

sorry, but a man defends his home and you come back with
a comment like kill everyone?

The situation may have been resolved without shooting, but it's been instilled into the American population, cops included, to shoot first and ask awkward questions later.

thats not right.. grow some repeaters man..
and i figured you were a guy.. hence my comment for the estrogen

Typical American macho, alpha-male BS response.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
For those that decry the killing of the intruder, simply decided what you think the three would have done to the old gent had he been unarmed.

And those possibilities would probably come close to what the old guy was thinking when they came through that upstairs door and pulled the trigger on the .22.

General rule of thumb: Shot an intruder at the first moment and insure your own survival.

They weighted their chances of survival in deciding on the initial lawbreaking. You must wonder the exact intent of the three. There is no cure for stupid, of course, except for one it was a 22 slug.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

The situation may have been resolved without shooting, but it's been instilled into the American population, cops included, to shoot first and ask awkward questions later.

Please tell us how you would have handled this situation. You are alone and a 92 year old man. You live way out in the country where the nearest policeman is at least 20 minutes away. You hear someone break into your basement and then come up the steps that lead inside your home. It is dark and you can barely see. You hear the door open and can just barely make out a dark figure coming towards you. You have a gun. What do you do?

1. Start singing kumbaya and hope they join you in a chorus.

2. Shoot the intruder before they can harm or kill you?

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join