It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Offended??? SO WHAT!!!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

thanks Hefficide that makes a lot of sense actually i imagine it's a big part of why forums attract people in a way.
edit on 3-9-2012 by n3mesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77

Originally posted by _R4t_
I blame the school system at some point for pretty much manufacturing clones with no self awareness just to keep doing the same repetitive task or giving awards to everyone because "everyone's a winner" which turned out the new generation into cry babies that can't accept being wrong or losing at something as a sign to just apply yourself and get better.

I blame popular culture (though in a free world nothing you can really do about that), horrible television that encourages emotion-driven behavior and utter lack of disciplinary parenting.

Freedom and responsibility don't seem to mix very well. It's a shame.
edit on 3-9-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

I completely agree with you. Popular culture has made people more narcissistic.
Humility is almost a sign of weakness to some.
Today it mostly IS about wealth and materialistic desires.
I have a seen a huge mentality change with the younger generation especially.

I think the song lyrics example is a good one. Look at the music and lyrical content from the 60's for example.
they were singing about the greater good of humanity. Singing about change,revolution,pulling out of Vietnam,etc. They were singing about civil rights,spirituality and selfless desires.
Now look at what a lot of mainstream artists of today are singing/rapping about. It's all about bling bling.How much one has acquired. The music videos are full of expensive cars.
Expensive drinks. Expensive clothes. Expensive jewelery and so on.
It throws the message out there that in order to be "cool", you have to possess those things.
Even in TV shows I see this same thing.
We all know how influential popular culture is,especially with the younger generation.
If this kind of mentality is mainly what we are influenced by then can you really expect anything different?

I also agree with what you said, "utter lack of disciplinary parenting".
It should be up to the parents to teach their kids that it's not all
about how much you have or how rich you are,etc.
A lot of parents I see today are more like kids then actual parents.
The parents are just as influenced by popular culture as the kids are.
It's kids raising kids. The old school way of raising kids
is pretty much dead.

I think this thread is dead on.
I find myself getting pissed off when people don't necessarily agree
with my point of view. We all do it to a certain degree.
That said, that doesn't change the fact that there is right and wrong.
I don't see any problem with pointing out these wrongs,especially to folks that don't know any better. As a matter of a fact, I've had many people thank me for bringing awareness to them.
(especially since MSM doesn't really talk about these kind of issues)
Then again maybe that's narcissism coming out right now. Oh man what are you gonna do?
You're damned if you do and damned if you don't

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Brilliant. I have nothing to add to this. That said, I have severe doubts that anyone will actually see any of this in themselves. We are what we've made of ourselves - each and every one of us. And like a glass half full of red liquid, adding fresh water will only thin out the red a little. It'll never clear the contents of the glass. It may take many generations of Americans to clear the glass, and only if the effort is universally made. If not - which seems like it's more likely that it won't - then the red will just get redder and redder. I guess that we'll really know what it takes to destroy an empire after all. In our case, it won't be economics, or laziness, or liberalism, or any of the topics of radio talkshow ranting piss-offs. Just complete societal fragmentation by way of convincing enough folks that they're more worthy and more "American" than the next person.

Man, we're already screwed.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I thank you for that very informative and interesting information. Personally I feel that anyone with any form of world domination/collective control agenda is not brilliant and neither do they have any brilliant plans, plans maybe, but brilliant no. I say this because it would appear to me, based on prior knowledge and more so on that which you have presented in this thread, that those at the so called top have fallen victim to their own misguided ideals. In their attempts to remove individuality from the masses they've removed it from themselves and in their attempts to steal control from the individual the masses have taken in from them. Working morning, noon and night to remove and conceal those at the top are no more in control of their own individual lives than anyone in the masses, perhaps even less so.

They display classic obsessive behavior, obsessed with world domination they've been consumed by their hatred towards the individual and consumed by their desire to reign supreme. In so doing they have destroyed themselves, doomed to a life of responding to the publics every move, doomed to a life racing for damage control and plugging leaks. It is the public that controls their every move for their every move is based upon their desire to control the public. One would have to admit that a brilliant man would not fall victim to his own conspiracy. I neither fear nor admire these people, I feel sorry for them.

**********Edit**********
I wish to add a bit to this. First and foremost I believe Hellficide has a wonderful point in regards to those at the top and narcissism. Such really enforces my belief that they are their own worst enemy for does the narcissist desire to share his wealth and fame with any other? Where together they may have plans hidden from the public I propose that they must also have individual plans hidden from each other. Their behavior suggests that they all perceive themselves as better or more deserving than all others, including their immediate peers.

Not only do they display severe obsessive behavior, but also pathological behavior. It's a manner in which the brain functions, it is versatile and I will give a brief example to help explain. When you first learn how to hammer a nail into a board you are likely to bend the nail several times, might even smack your thumb once or twice, but the more you keep at it the better you will become. For each thing you do there is a connection formed between neurons in the brain, when you first hammer the connection is formed and the more you hammer the stronger the connection becomes allowing you to become better and better.

With those at the top, they've become so accustomed to lying, they've lied so often that the connection to their creative mind over their logical mind is strongest. Their first course of action when dealing with information is to lie, not only to the public but to each other and worse yet to themselves. It is not something they could've avoided as liars, the connection is too strong now so not even they know where the lies end and the truth begins. They've warped and twisted their own minds, the world they live in does not exist and neither are they aware of such. Their absolute first course of action is falsehood, this is simple physics, when information comes in it follows the path of least resistance and for them this path goes straight to the creative mind, bypassing the logical mind altogether. Neither do they know any sense of truth.

I would suggest that if you have any strong emotions towards these people let it be of pity for they are no longer human.
edit on 3-9-2012 by Symbiot because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-9-2012 by Symbiot because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Although I left out one comment.

I am not annoyed by people and their shenanigans. I am, however; annoyed at people and their shenanigans who enjoy torturing animals.

Over and out

Beldy

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Thank you for bringing some things into perspective. I've been wondering why so many people are so caught up in the "I" that they can't see the "WE" and "YOU". I was looking at the victimization I see in main-stream-media using perceived threats to maintain fear, and thinking that maintaining the fear was keeping people so absorbed in self-survival they can't see the bigger picture or they don't want to see behind the canvas of main-stream-media because they may find something even more scarey.
Adding narcissism to the equation helps answer the question, "Why are people acting/being so stupid"
The inability of most people to 'discuss' rather than 'argue' I was giving to most peoples inability to "agree to disagree". A narcissist doesn't have the choice to discuss.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by saladfingers123456
reply to post by definity

Good grief! I was just about to post this very video!!! Your posting of this before me offends me! I am now going to get leprosy! Darn you!!!!

There used to be a longer cut of this video on youtube, but I can't find it. This guy is excellent and right on the money.

Ha yeah Steve Hughes is great If you like him there another Aussie act called Jim Jeffries quite controversial but also quite funny.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
It blows my mind that anyone would need a thread on Respect. But I guess some people need it and some well, don't.

Respecting each other and respecting our differences.

Because we are such complex creatures with Emotion...we will always have these dynamics within our family setting or social setting. Emotions are a powerful thing. That's why we need a certain amount of a moral and value along w/ simple rules we can all follow so that we can Respect each others opinion. Your always going to have the Aunt Ruth's and Uncle Bob's...some people just like more drama....their bored....

Grade school...

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Ummm.......I concur, high-fives, kudos, yee-haws, backslaps, amen, amen and amen. You nailed it, the buck stopped there, the resolution passed and I move that the poles be closed. I'm only a tad surprised that you hadn't realized that zen moment before, but...........hey, you do get the brass ring cause there are no "Johnny come lately's" in this go-round..........Yep, those that are offended....seek offense...it's their balm, their schtick, their feel good drug, their very reason for existance.........watch and see, I just "offended" each and every one of them. When truth hurts and is anathema to reasoned discourse, when it veritably,"flies in the face of" personal evolution, then it only leaves room for....de-volving and....E-moting...........Thus ends every single thread...every one.
It's the baser part of human nature and I wish to GOD that it might not "rear it's ugly head". However, as my mom used to say, "if beggars were horses we'd all have a ride and if wishes were fishes we'd all have a fry". Them thars truisms.
and

YouSir

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
very interesting post,thank you. that mentality is fed in every social activity. as a child on a easter egg hunt i found plenty for a second position witch i should of been happy about yet as a kid my heart was in bits over my little brother not having more then two. i gave him some and didnt care for the second place.but i learned a lesson.its sad to see the way society conditions into that mentality.its always been there poking into people spliting you in two until you disconnect from one.as a individual,group,culture and beyond.perpetuating cicle.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

"Being offended" is often in the eye of the beholder, just like beauty.

The people that take it to far though must beware...they are living in glass houses.

I believe in standing up for ones own beliefs, but be civil about it and listen to others as well. (And hope that they treat you the same respect)

And I would argue your point more so than we are being taught to hate each other. The fact that logic is thrown out the window every day in schools, businesses, and government offices for the sake of "not offending someone" speaks more loudly than does some sort of covert war to turn us against each other. Can't wear this and that for Halloween, can't reference any type of Christmas music that has anything to do with it being a Christian holiday, can't tell jokes where we should be laughing at ourselves. This is getting out of control. Coupled with "everyone is a winner" which is now taught in schools (you can't even play real dodgeball anymore in schools for fear you will hurt some kids feelings) and you have a society that needs one big enema. My son's football leauge (last year) stopped keeping score because there was one team that really stunk and no one wanted to hurt those kids feelings.

Me - I am glad I grew up in the 70's when winners were winners and losers were losers. And you learned something no matter what the outcome. Now you learn NOTHING that you can apply to real life. I argue this is part of the "Occupy" nonsense. These kids felt entitled to a job after having graduated with a degree in Art History. What the heck did you expect? There is NO guarantee in life except death. Be smart, plan well, and be prepared to shrug stuff off. You'll be a better person for it and lead a happier life.

It's time we got real again. Being offended shouldn't be some mass experience. It should be personal and you should decide for yourself what to do about it - not have some not for profit group argue for you.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Deeply intelligent and strongly composed. The evidence presented is great, as are the sources and the deeper reality it all points to.

There are people who benefit from the production of narcissism and psychological imbalance. There is profit in getting people to cue and respond based upon simple triggers.

There are also people - even inside these systems - who are in rebellion. Very quietly, they are creating counter-media and imparting resistance to certain sectors of the masses. The NWO is not going to walk away with this thing in the end.

thevicarslamp.blogspot.com...

And there are artists and songsters and writers out there who are working everyday - just like people here and on many other forums - to liberate and awaken others.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

We all need to catch-up
to sanity and reason, mutual respect even lovingkindness (God forbid! actually he allows and encourages this).

It's a divide between ignorance and stupidity, on the one hand, and on the other everything that is reasonable and worthwhile in life.

God help the unforgiving, hard-hearted, judgemental ones, who think they already know everything and are in a position to stand in judgement of their fellow man, often for even trivial or matters that are in fact none of their business (the faults of another).

A lot of people are in for a wake up call that's all I know, and it'll hit the "perfect" people the hardest!

And sometimes if it can be brought about via ketchup, so beit. After all God works in mysterious ways.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
About 15 years ago some researchers traveled to one of the more isolated tribes in Africa. The people that lived there knew about cell phones, medicine and cars, planes and so on..... They often traveled to the nearest city to trade and so were exposed to a population of about 250,000 people.

The researchers brought with them a television set a VCR and a Video tape. On the tape was a National Geo graphics type documentary of the United States. I depicted the Industry, the science and the society with many of the variations.

The film lasted two hours.

After the villagers were shown the movie they were asked as to what they though of it. They all responded by stating that what the researchers had shown them was impossible. The researchers were American and responded by saying that this was real, people do live that way. To which they responded that the researchers should stop insulting them, such a society is a fantasy and could not possibly exist.

In relation to familial relationships are concerned. I feel it is important to point out that,often there are relevant histories siblings are not aware of, in respect to the relationship between older members. Especially in relation to how they got along after they became adults. As brothers an sisters live long enough to double the time, they spent together, there perspective upon what it is, to how one should live, changes.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Of children ages 9 to 17, 21 percent have a diagnosable mental or addictive disorder that causes at least minimal impairment.

In any given year, only 20 percent of children with mental disorders are identified and receive mental health services.

Suicide is the third leading cause of death in youth ages 15 to 24. More teenagers and young adults die from suicide than from cancer, heart disease, AIDS, birth defects, stroke, pneumonia, influenza and chronic lung disease combined.5 Over 90 percent of children and adolescents who commit suicide have a mental disorder.

Above from NAMI

Depression is a chronic illness that exacts a significant toll on America's health and productivity. It affects more than 21 million American children and adults annually and is the leading cause of disability in the United States for individuals ages 15 to 44. Lost productive time among U.S. workers due to depression is estimated to be in excess of $31 billion per year.
From NMHA

In a society where many are narcissists and individualistic obsession is perpetuated by the media, is it possible that a person going through a tough time would be more likely to lose all hope in themself?

A silly argument leads to a broken relationship which leads to loss of self esteem which leads to...

Pathological narcissism has been linked by some researchers to suicide. A pithy explanation of the link is in the phrase coined by the late pioneer, Robert Litman: “My way or no way.” Others have expressed the same idea. The point is that a self-involved, uncompromising outlook on living may lead to self-destruction under some circumstances. What are those circumstances? A precise answer must vary from person to person, but in general it means any stress that threatens a person’s core identity. Not just any stress, but a stress that hits an individual in an area of great vulnerability.
article

edit on 3-9-2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

Carl Jung was having a conversation with a Native American chief.

"The chief pointed out that, in his perception, white people have tense faces, staring eyes and a cruel demeanor. He continued, 'They are always uneasy and restless. We don't know what they want. We think they are mad.'"

~ exceprt taken from "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I actually did the same thing you did. My sister inlaw caused this big stink and insulted my Mum and Dad because her kid is a little manipulator.I demanded an apology because her kid and she just took it to another level. I looked it all up as to why my brother keeps choosing these types of women even though I have told him many times. I gave up after the previous two. It turns out when narcissist cause all this they claim the victim and it is everyone's fault but theirs then everyone pays for it. Reading about it my brother fits the co-dependant type and narcissist are magnets for them.If it was just another girl friend it wouldn't have mattered she would have been gone sooner or later. Instead of loving my brother and fixing it she deleted all family members off her phone and facebook. Now for me to see my brother I have to dodge her. It is sad really that my brother doesn't see her for what she is. I have a mother inlaw who is also the same way but at least my wife knows it.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Generally speaking if your thread doesn't have two distinct parties involved with the pretext of arguing sides. The thread doesn't get alot of action. Most discussion happens on the battleground of the ego, not the united commonplace of centralized decorum and comradery. That is almost becoming too boring for us. The media, social circles, public places and domestic environments are all being subject to drama and demoralizing dumb humor and connecting people in negative ways (i.e. womanizing, sarcasm, belittling, depression). Therefore anything positive is considered fake or lame simply because it does not happen in the subjects lives.

We as a whole can't muster up anything more than "Yea i like that too" for if we do its considered obsessive or too much positive connection especially among males is considered homosexual in nature (which is its own fallacy) that doesnt deal with the degrading of women or drinking games.

Nothing really excites a person on meandering terms than to simply argue with one another, about anything. We've lost the ability to converse at length the things we enjoy most in life, mostly because people dont know how to enjoy life. And what they do get out of it that makes them happy usually involves a negative reaction. There is a balancing act of this negative/positive model of human interaction, or atleast there was. As of late the balance is dramatically swayed to negative means, which in the end is not only self-destructive but outwardly as well. The ripple effect here has no limits.

In the end you can be as intelligent as much as your heart and mind can handle, but you'll only be as wise as you allow yourself to be.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
THe people you just described are the people i like to troll when i am bored

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I am sorry to bring the Catsup/Ketchup thing back up; but I am a collector of useless information, there's more difference than just spelling. Catsup is typically sweeter in flavor, and Ketchup is salter. I know this because I can't stand the sweetness of some brands, and have been avoiding catsup at all costs for the last couple of years.

Southern homemade steak sauce is typically a mix of ketchup or catsup, mustard, and mayo...

Hopefully that clears somethings up.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join