It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Offended??? SO WHAT!!!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Originally posted by boncho

this is just an example of how a non issue turns into an issue. If you quash the non issues as they arise eventually people will be powerless with arguing them.

Agree.

Although, its the non issues that most people WANT to argue about.

Funny, hey?

The non-issues are easiest for most people to wrap their heads around as opposed to the big issues. Many times there are no concrete "rights or wrongs" to non-issues such as "which way the toilet paper roll should face" as an example. However, in more important issues it takes alot of effort and knowledge to achieve a "proof I'm right" stance. I myself will not indulge in the non-issues anymore, for a few reasons: they are simply a waste of my time and energy, and they can carry into infinity! What I cannot deny, is the amusement factor.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
It's liberals that base their political views on things like "being offended" or "feelings" rather than reality and logic

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I totally understand what you are trying to say here in this thread, but my question to the OP is this......"What did you intend to achieve when you wrote it?" I mean people would have to give up their lives as they know it with all their iphones, internet, tv, and movies to completly stop all the propoganda being shoved into their brains and I just don't see that happening anytime soon. Even the mention of it could possibly start a WAR......just curious!

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigBrotherDarkness
reply to post by greyer

Be careful doing that; in my experience it makes them even more angry.

That may be true, however OUR sanity and blood pressure remain intact!

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by iLoGiCViZiOnS

Great question and I have an answer!

The best way to defeat a habit, or conditioned response, is to become aware of it. If you've ever had a subconscious habit - nail biting maybe, drumming your fingers, chewing pencils, anything like that - then you know that the way to stop is to become aware of the habit! Most people do these things without being consciously aware that they are doing them. Training your mind to catch yourself in the act is how you defeat the habit.

This thread? Think of it as a string on a finger. A pointing out of a habit.

If just a few of us ( including myself ) become self-aware of this predisposition towards offense - and we seek to catch ourselves in the act, thus stopping the behavior? I've done some good not just for myself and for ATS - but for those who choose to play along.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The spirit of competition amongst the species is the one thing that nurtures the narcissistic behavior. This is common in the animal kingdom. It ensures survival and the continuation of ones genes. If the argument about the ketchup on steak was between two alpha male lions then the answer would be resolved with the death of the weaker one. But then again, competition brings the best out in us. It brought about the Space Race to the moon. Narcissism brings up civilizations and it can tear them down.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I made a thread on a subject that's pretty relatable to this thread, it was based on a study about gelotophobia, the fear of being laughed at, most people suffering from it have what you would call an externalized locus of control, meaning that they interpret their experience as being influenced by external factors, instead of themselves.
In other words, there's a bigger chance that they'll blame their faults or failings on the external world.
People 'suffering' from the trait would obviously also be offended a lot easier than most people.

Guess which countries topped the list?

Muslim countries... some people didn't like the study and so they denied its validity. Media never made a big deal about it either, didn't find a single english newspaper covering it.
I would like to see a study on the same subject done but with political affiliations instead of countries, that would be interesting.

Either way, here's the thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's the study:

uzh.academia.edu... ountries

And here's an article on the study:
www.newenglishreview.org...
(This is by far the best one)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

It seems that the big bad wolf has crept in through our cable wires and brainwashed the masses from the inside out. Fortunately there are still those of us with a clear mind and soul, whom see through the B.S. and call a spade a spade.

Amazing thread Hefficide!! One of the most thought provoking I have read on ATS in some time!

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Just throwing my thoughts out there...

I never really liked labels.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Sometimes its appropriate, sometimes it isnt.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I just read through the first couple pages of responses.... Did anyone actually read this thread!?!?

Finally in feel like I can have an educated conversation about a real issue on ATS and every response I have read is hogwash.
Thank you for taking the personal story out of the OP, hopefully the next fIve pages worth of responses are actually related to the point of this thread and not what sauce to use or not use.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
K, I didn't read whole thread like I usually do.

But no, I'm not offended in the least about what anyone says or types. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Do I care? I care about people's feelings and beliefs.
But arguing over people's beliefs to me is silly

Good day ladies and gentlemen.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Whoa!!!, whoa, whoa, whoa.

What kind of sick, sadistic, twisted bastard puts ketchup on steak?

I read threw the entire OP, then saw Boncho's post about the steak. And that's what stuck in my head.
I'm a pretty understanding person. But it looks like I've found my line in the sand.

I won't stand for it. It's a perversion of culinary synchronicity.

edit on 3-9-2012 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Ohhh you mean like people who join conspiracy websites to preach all their wisdom and 'facts' how nothing is a conspiracy? And And... people who join threads, by title alone, is obvious they disagree with so they can "set those people straight" ? You mean those kind of people ?

-Peace

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaiju666

Not to point out the obvious... but you just tweaked the irony meter so hard the gears fell out!

No lofty preaching here. There are three our four different places where I include myself in the great unwashed and irreverent masses!

~Heff

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Very moving. You've just said it out loud that we are at war with each other all because of our belief, and yes, it's sad.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

What kind of sick, sadistic, twisted bastard puts ketchup on steak?
My dad made us do it! Although indirectly, when you are served a piece of sh.., er I mean shoe leather, that is how you tend to make it taste like FOOD!

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
There is no one size fits all psychology or philosophy for how to deal with a situation. Thinking there is is probably a sign of narcissism
I kid, but not entirely...

So most simply disagreements are barely noticed by me in most situations. I reason it matters so little, why bother? Still, there have been times in my life where someone whom I care about dearly has obviously stepped over the line, and continues to do so.

Like my ex. In her mind it was the right thing to do to lie to me and say she didn't cheat on me. Apparently just before we broke it off, she went to a party and was all over some guy. She then flipped out on me the next day for not being with her...when I already asked her twice if I could sit this one out and she said, "sure"...so I knew something was wrong from her flipping out for the first time in our near year relationship...

I confronted her with the contradictions, and I could tell instantly by her tone, and choice of words she was continuing to lie to me, so I continued to call her out...and it just kept going...yea, it would have been more reasonable to just leave the trash and never talk to her again, but I choose to keep begging her to give me two bloody minutes of honesty...never happened, she pushed away and ended up doing all sorts of manipulative moves to mind-# me from this point on...I finally blew my lid and started cursing at her when we talked and I knew she was lying...she felt justified in filing a false report of harassment, and now it's on my record for life....psycho bitch.

Sometimes it's best to stand your ground. I still feel it was the correct move, even after it was all said and done. Hopefully she won't ever try to pull that bs on anyone else again. I was true to myself, and in my mind that's all that mattered.

Am I infected with narcissism? Yep, we all are in this messed up society. I see no reason to think it will get better anytime soon.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a good bit what the OP posted is a huge ongoing issue that completely plagues my life and i thought i was somehow at fault for what's going on, i don't pretend to be the victim though but now that i realize my issue isn't a "just me" situation it helps but now that i do know it's a known problem.. where do i go now to find answers to help me. ugh. thanks for the post though it opened my eyes a little. i absolutely refuse talking to a psychiatrist or counselor or whatever so i'm pretty much at a stalemate.. i never considered that profession a valid one at all so if you just read this i apologize and your time spent reading will be refunded promptly at the close of the day hehe

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by n3mesis

Not to derail my own thread on purpose ( but to do so anyway with the best of intentions ), I've been in therapy, off and on, for 28 years. As far as one on one therapy goes? I've only had one defining or important moment come of it. And even that wasn't a major breakthrough - just an insight. But going to group? That is far more fulfilling. It's not a person who doesn't understand telling you what's wrong with you... it's people with the same or similar problems talking about how they cope... the little tricks and skills they've evolved over the years. It's a good place to learn and to make friends. After all, it's one thing to try to make someone else understand, it's entirely another when they really do understand.

Now, let the "Op sent his own thread off topic" bashing begin - and back on topic!

~Heff

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join