It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this comming out of our star?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
reply to post by PollyPeptide

The images are produced by a CCD (Charge Coupled Device) image sensor. This is an array of photosensitive elements, the same as you get in modern digital cameras.

If a cosmic ray or ionized particle strikes the array, it produces a bright pixel that may seem out of place. If the electrical charge on the particle is high enough, it can affect adjacent pixels as the charge dissipates towards electrical ground for the array.

This is what, I believe, we are seeing in this image. The straightness of the "track path" and its purely vertical nature would argue for a CCD error rather than an imaging of a real world object.

Also, glitches like this are usually short lived (based upon the "refresh" time of the CCD array) and so in astrophotography, shutter open and shutter closed images are combined (subtractively) to eliminate short duration artifacts like this. Images are also recaptured to eliminate such spurious effects. In other words, this is most likely a known common problem with the raw and unprocessed images taken in space.

Personally, I think i'd be a fool to believe that it is just a camera glitch.

edit on 3-9-2012 by Soulece because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Soulece

Ok please bare with me, don't really know how to word this correctly. If an object was leaving the Sun, would it not be on a straight trajectory from the Sun, this object is leaving the circumference (Sun's outer), at an angle, so either purpose trajectory or object is behind the Sun, on a downwards path. You follow ??

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
The main problem is the judgement of distance in my opinion. It appears relatively bright, and combined with its irregular shape, I am led to believe it is rather close to the Sun, in astronomical terms. The other obvious feature is what seems to be a tail. This makes me lean towards a comet, as the head and tail would both be lit up when this near to the Sun, and that reflected light could account for the brightness we are seeing. I am not positive, but "comet" satisfies the handful of observations I made above, and does not seem to contradict any of them, to my knowledge.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   

This is what, I believe, we are seeing in this image. The straightness of the "track path" and its purely vertical nature would argue for a CCD error rather than an imaging of a real world object.

Why? Why is this more likely?

Not that I believe anything ... but I find this attitude out of place, for any scientific forum or anything science oriented.

Anything out of the ordinary should be investigated, not just brushed off as pixel errors ... which is just plain utter nonsense.

Even if it was "ion" that is effecting it ... it has a source for this, and the source is something that is out of the ordinary, unless you have a general CCD error. In which case, it would hardly be a single error, it would probably be there all the time ...

and in case of "ionisation", if it was oversensitive for it ... it would be happening all over the image, not just in a single place ... a single source this magnitude does not support your theory.

An error, is not an isolated incident ...

I say the OP is onto something, even if it is nothing ... it's exactly things like this that we should be looking for and investigating ...

Stars & Flags
edit on 3/9/2012 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by minnow
hi,
is any video available of this?

You're looking at a still image from the Solar Dynamics Observatory, so what could a 'video' add... apart from dramatic string symphony New Age Music, zooming ins and vague allusions to the end of the Mayan Calendar and Nibiru?

Just wondering...
edit on 3-9-2012 by Heliocentric because: For his morning tea A monk sits down in utter silence- Confronted by chrysanthemums.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by douggie60
reply to post by Soulece

Ok please bare with me, don't really know how to word this correctly. If an object was leaving the Sun, would it not be on a straight trajectory from the Sun, this object is leaving the circumference (Sun's outer), at an angle, so either purpose trajectory or object is behind the Sun, on a downwards path. You follow ??

There has been some supporting evidence of objects taking energy from the sun and zooming off. Im sure you have seen these and heard of this if you frequent these forums. Not say its the exact truth, but it is not something you can easily explain either. I do follow you, yes.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
In the image in question, a burst of cosmic rays happen to hit the camera lens streaking through the camera sensor vertically depositing charge in several pixels along a vertical line. The streaks are consistent with cosmic particle (proton) impacts on the CCD, something which is apparent in just about every image!

Here's another of the so called 'alien craft' which is nothing but a CCD glitch due to cosmic particles.

So, no UFOs here after all!

Next......
edit on 3-9-2012 by OrionHunterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
A plasma fart no doubt

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
Not sure directly related, but check out this video of a massive eruption on the sun. It happened today! Its beautiful

Link

That is truly beautiful and awe inspiring- thanks for posting.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soulece

Personally, I think i'd be a fool to believe that it is just a camera glitch.

You'd be a total fool believing anything else, there was ANOTHER thread already showing several so called "UFOs around the sun"..which all had a 100% perfect vertical line down the image. It's a dead giveaway that those are not real objects but CCD artifacts.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I like the picture, and the fact that you are curious enough to have an App for the live images. I use the SOHO app on my iPhone, for the same. Keep watching the sky's, for there will be signs in the stars!

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Why do we keep getting threads about Solar Flares??

Especially these types of threads which claim the flare is some kind of UFO coming out of the Sun!!

Don't be silly people.... no UFO's are coming out f the Sun.... it is a solid object burning bright and would most likely burn anything up which came too close to it....

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Most likely not a comet because the tail would be away from the sun.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Maybe this is why Iran has ordered their citizens to remain indoors for 2 weeks?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I have a logical question for all of you:

How can any comet survive long enough to go anywhere near the sun?

Even here on earth, if you set an ice cube in the sunlight, it'll melt within minutes. So, even with a comet several miles wide, anything going near ol' Sol should be vaporized long before it goes with range of SOHO or any other satellites near the sun.

Hmmm.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
A comet passing the sun big woop.

Not all comets are made of ice buddy.
edit on 3-9-2012 by Zecharia because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-9-2012 by Zecharia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Oh wait scratch that its a GFL spacecraft coming through the stargate.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Me personally?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Why do we keep getting threads about Solar Flares??

Especially these types of threads which claim the flare is some kind of UFO coming out of the Sun!!

Don't be silly people.... no UFO's are coming out f the Sun.... it is a solid object burning bright and would most likely burn anything up which came too close to it....

Actually the sun is not a solid object.
It has a tremendous amount of gravity pulling towards its center.
The kind of power that warps space time and allows for intergalactic travel.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

You make a lot of assumptions in your post that are really just that.. Assumptions.

How do you know its behind the sun? You cant determine that from this photo.

How do you know know the "tail" is facing the sun? I dont think you can determine the depth/angle from this 2 dimensional perspective. Depth perception requires 3 dimensions as far as i know.

I will go with a comet as my guess

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join