It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em! The Cartels are bringing 'em!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I pay 9.50 Canadian for a pack.
They are the #s.
Ever since they ruined the cigarettes in canada, with some kind of non flamable.....they are all crap.
Id give double that for a pack of the Old \Player filters with the white and blue diagonal front and the navy cut tobacco they used to make......
I tend to smoke my Perscription more and cigarettes less nowadays....

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majestic Lumen
Odd, I keep hearing (reading) about the burden smokers have on the medical costs, however, out of everyone that I've known that has had cancer and sadly died, and even the people who survived, not a single person was a smoker, never smoked once.... I don't know what to make of it, either I am too stupid to comprehend or there is something that just doesn't make sense. I am sure there are people who do suffer illness from smoking, but I know more smokers that are healthy than non smokers with failing health.

ETA: I am a smoker myself, Winston lights about a pack to two packs a day (depending on the stress level) I am fairly healthy, just not as active and with less stamina than when I was a kid.
edit on 3-9-2012 by Majestic Lumen because: (no reason given)

I hope it never touches you from smoking... There are different kinds of lung cancer, as it turns out. What killed my father was apparently directly identifiable with smoking and he was a smoker to the last days.

The problem was that the smoking led to a diagnosis of COPD, which is all he thought he had. By the time anyone suspected differently by some pain that wasn't normal, he had 11 days remaining with aggressive stage iv. It took me a couple months to quit myself...but it's scary to admit. That is what it actually took. Being in the middle of seeing that all happen. I just hope the minor long term risk that lingers isn't the thing that gets me some day. That was no way to see a person pass.

That's all I'll say on that though.. I'm really never going to become the super-preachy former smoker turned Super-Anti-smoker. Just sharing the above as food for thought. It's taken me almost 2 years to even be able to say this without getting at least a bit emotional.. It's just..a bad way.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
for what it's worth to those people who would like to give up... i gave up smoking a year ago, i LOVED smoking, by using the EFT technique (Emotional Freedom Technique)... stupid name, but it worked in about 10 mins and i've not had a craving since. considering it's free and involves tapping on your body, for those of you that want to give up, it's worth trying

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Well we could all get rid of the Fed and State taxes via W-4 volutary tax, but not the excise tax.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Ciggaretes should be illegal, or killing the people responsable is justified.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by geobro
try the taxes in the uk a pack of 20 cigs is about $11.50 plus and a ounce of rolling tobacco $12 for 25 gramms ? while in holland or belgium the same tobacco is a mere $4 . so much for being one happy family in europe the limit you are allowed to cross boarders with is 10 pouches of tobacco or 400 cigs the blackmarket has a field day over here $13 dollers for a 50 gramm pack on the black market commpared to $25 dollars in the shop for the same product .gas is $12 a gallon in the uk diesil is dearer . there was so many people using cooking oil for there veihicles that the goverment put the price of it through the roof the goverment over here is a joke and will shortly put a minimum price on alchohol per unit which will see some drinks more than double in price the bootleggers will have a field day

Thank you so much for spitting that out at the beginning of the thread! I was going to type the same but thought I had better check if it had been said.

Excellent, on point post. Everytime I hear Americans whine about tax on luxury items, my blood overheats a little because they don't realise how much worse it could be. Try living in the UK guys! Then you would feel the real sting of what taxes can be like...

edit on 3-9-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Cool, bring some my way!!!!! I will have a few hundred at a time, i know plenty of smokers

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ecoparity

Yep, in the state of California there has been a push by the legislators to tax labor and services.

Who exactly would be the winners and losers depends on who sponsors the attempt. It won't be long now before residents will be taxed to groom their dogs, service their cars, boats, motorcycles, and perhaps even spend an hour with their attorneys.

It's amazing what happens when voters keep voting in the wrong people to represent them. Yep, they make big promises that lead to no jobs and a state they can no longer afford to live in. It all just seemed like such a great idea at the time. Some people are just so short sighted.

All that free stuff they promise you, it's not free. You suck money out of the economy and it goes somewhere...
edit on 3-9-2012 by MsAphrodite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

In WHSmith in London Train Station its £9.50 for 20 Malboro lights. God knows what that is in dollars

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
If it is so unhealthy, why do cancer rates continue to rise while the percentage of smokers decrease? Also, each state spends the tax funds differently. Here in Michigan it goes to fund schools,not any medical cause. You guys are also leaving out the federal tax that is now on most tobacco. They also do not use it twords any medical programs.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Metatronin

Personally, I look at the smoking to cancer cause/effect this way. I believe smoking absolutely DOES cause Cancer.....in some people within the period of a life time and I think it would be 100% if lifespans ran out another 20-30 years. Perhaps someday they will, the way things are going...but talk about a hell of a way to prove a theory.

I don't think near 100% of those who get Lung cancer, let alone other forms are from smoking though. 1st...second..whatever the argument. I personally believe there are a few....and I literally mean a few...core contributors to Cancer. It's odd how it's pretty much the same thing, no matter where or how in the body it starts. Kinda unique to disease in that respect, in having differences with no distinctions, from what I came to learn after my Dad died.

Now having said all that.......I always counted myself among the immortal smokers since I could look at people like George Burns and his cigars that I swear, added life to him...and others who smoke till they drop of something totally unrelated. It was seeing someone as close as a Father in biology to get the 2x4 upside the head that I wasn't special...and I was next.

For what it may help. What I experienced was motivation but wouldn't have been enough. Cigs are worse than HEROIN! So... what I used was the Patches AND Zyban. The two are totally different things and had no interaction or side effects beyond the slightly mellow effect of Zyban (A.K.A. Welbutrin, an mild psych drug).

Zyban 100% eliminated the mental withdrawal but did nothing for physical. The patches 100% removed the physical and did nothing for the mental. TOGETHER.......it was literally like turning on a cheat mode in a video game. It wasn't just easy....there was simply no effort required but to stay on the two and get over my hands being empty.
(If only I'd known that combination when the two first sat on the market at the same time...)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

In that case... you should be in favor of people who are fat to pay more money - since they cost the healthcare industry more then a smoker.

health.usnews.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by VaterOrlaag

I support higher cigarette taxes.

Why?

Because smokers are a burden on our society, especially those who are willfully ignorant to the damage that their habit does.

They pollute, they litter and they drive up the costs of health care to treat illnesses that could have easily been prevented by I don't know, not smoking? I developed asthma from a combination of factors (growing up in a household with a smoker, breathing in dirty city air for over 10 years, etc). I have tried cigarettes but thankfully, that never caught on.

To be fair, cars pollute too and we already pay out the roof to maintain such vehicles (taxes, fees, insurance, etc).

You can go ahead and attack me if you please but I will never feel sorry for cigarette smokers that have to pay more. Suck it up or quit!
edit on 2-9-2012 by VaterOrlaag because: (no reason given)

i'm not a burden on anyone. i pay my own health insurance, and quite a bit more than most people i work with since my insurance is fully aware i smoke and therefore charge me more. i'm also very healthy, especially since my job requires me to do strenuous activity( i deliver appliances). isn't it funny how generalizing always leads to false assumptions? and you know what assuming does right?

i can't wait till they start taxing all sorts of other "sins". it's going to be hilarious and fullfilling when i can post elaborate "i told you so"s. make no mistake, soon enough everything people like yourself like to do will also be inordinately taxed. snacks,drinks(both alcoholic and not), entertainment like movies(you're sitting around lazy! think of what that does to your body!), driving(not just gas but driving itself, by the mile!), recreation.

think about this, with all the taxes us smokers are paying, why are we still running a deficit? why is it that most , if not all, that tax money doesn't come near health costs? because it's not about that in reality, it's just an easy way to milk more money from we the people without many complaining.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Why?

Because smokers are a burden on our society, especially those who are willfully ignorant to the damage that their habit does.

They pollute, they litter and they drive up the costs of health care to treat illnesses that could have easily been prevented by I don't know, not smoking? I developed asthma from a combination of factors (growing up in a household with a smoker, breathing in dirty city air for over 10 years, etc). I have tried cigarettes but thankfully, that never caught on.

To be fair, cars pollute too and we already pay out the roof to maintain such vehicles (taxes, fees, insurance, etc).

You can go ahead and attack me if you please but I will never feel sorry for cigarette smokers that have to pay more. Suck it up or quit!

This is a joke right?
You do realize you live in a nation where on any given day, a car's exhaust is 100 fold more harmful than anyone's cigarette?
Yes cigarettes are bad, but to go so far as to say that smokers are a burden on society is a ludicrous stretch to say the least.
With the statement you have made, you'd better not ever use a gas combustion engine. I advise you to not even use a lawnmower. Your fumes are killing my children for cryin out loud!

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyteeny

googled it. thank you lady teeny.
tried to quit many times to no avail.
i am one of the 'poor' that cant afford to smoke but still do. I could buy a new truck for what smoking costs me.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Why?

I knew it was just a matter of time:
"If we HAVE TO PAY FOR YOUR HEALTHCARE..." No cigs; booze; fats; SEX!
(contraceptives!!!!!!)
It's here.
I am a nonsmoker100%against smoking; but;

105% against busybodies telling us what's good for us."wankers all!"
For now I'll enjoy my Guiness stout!come pry it from my cold dead fingers!
Busybodies
"TAXED ENOUGH ALREADY"!
edit on 3-9-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-9-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I like how some people are complaining that smokers drive up the cost of health care. We smokers put you anti-smokers in the green. By paying god noes how much in taxs and then dropping dead at 68 or even earlier. Unlike you guys who will stick around till your 90 with a team of doctors and nurses keeping your wrinkly ass alive, sucking down social security, and medicare/medaid by taking a thousands of pills.

Supporters of the FDA bill cited figures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that smokers cost the country $96 billion a year in direct health care costs, and an additional $97 billion a year in lost productivity.

A White House statement supporting the bill, which awaits action in the Senate, echoed the argument by contending that tobacco use "accounts for over a $100 billion annually in financial costs to the economy."

However, smokers die some 10 years earlier than nonsmokers, according to the CDC, and those premature deaths provide a savings to Medicare, Social Security, private pensions and other programs.

Vanderbilt University economist Kip Viscusi studied the net costs of smoking-related spending and savings and found that for every pack of cigarettes smoked, the country reaps a net cost savings of 32 cents.

www.usatoday.com...

So next time you go off about how smokers are the bane of society, just know that Were smoking for America.
*Lights a smoke*
Though since your so ungrateful anti-smokers I started going the non-tax route and its legal, up here in Texas they got roll your own stores where, where you get 200 filter-cig cartoon for $36. Anyways with the way sin tax has been going out of control and the cartels heavily funded by the "war" on drugs its only matter of time before the government taxes itself out of business and start subsiding crime.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join