It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Good Is Discussing Things?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I have one simple question to put to you and I would appreciate serious answers please. I am not trying to make a joke or a troll thread.

What good is discussion if...

1. Nothing ever changes?

And

2. Nobody ever changes their minds and does not learn anything at all?

It seems to me that if nothing ever changes and nobody changes their minds or doesn't learn anything new, then really, discussing things is absolutely useless and people don't actually want to talk with other people, but talk at as if you were talking to a wall.

If that's the case, then why discuss things at all?

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
A lot of us just get sick of people talking about themselves on Facebook. There are some really out of the box thinkers here on ATS. If you haven't learned anything new on ATS then you might be looking in the wrong threads.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

People do change their minds here. All of the time. Sometimes it takes awhile. But I have seen it over and over again. Reading threads doesn't necessarily show it. But find a predominant poster and look through their posting history. You'll see changes in position with many members.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
What good is discussing things?

Just the fact that we can discuss things, no matter how trivial or 'pointless' is amazing.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I comment and debate on subjects that are important to me, even though I won't change the opinions of people I'm debating. But, I justify my time as a debt paid to the silent "majority" or "minority", as the chips may fall.

I want people to know that there are people out there who will speak up and take the heat. Maybe they will be less timid next time they feel bullied or out numbered, instead of acquiescing.

Hope springs eternal!

edit on 1-9-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Perhaps you're having discussions with the wrong people?

I've learned many things through conversations, and through debates on this site. I don't think I've ever changed my mind about anything. But then again, I don't really hold any beliefs on many topics to change my mind about.

I do understand your point though, sometimes it seems as if I am just smashing my face against a wall when I try to have a serious conversation with some people.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
What good is discussion if...

1. Nothing ever changes?

And

2. Nobody ever changes their minds and does not learn anything at all?

1. I believe that small things may change, nothing on a grand scale. But general knowledge of current events and the arguments for and against do lead to small changed in opinions. Opinions could be votes, most are dead set on voting for whatever they usually vote for but some are open to sway.

2. ppl do change their minds, and they do learn something. Some arguments here on ATS are compelling enough to change opinions. IMO. Also the point of a forum is not really to make ppl change their minds or have some major impact in changing anything. If it does that's a plus but forums are just forums.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

People do change their minds here. All of the time. Sometimes it takes awhile. But I have seen it over and over again. Reading threads doesn't necessarily show it. But find a predominant poster and look through their posting history. You'll see changes in position with many members.

~Heff

Heff, do you have a program that changes your avatar every so many hours?

Yes, minds do get changed here. Look at my post history(Don't laugh too hard though). I've changed my opinion and stance on a few things. And sometimes I did it begrudgingly. But it was the right thing to do once I looked at what was being said with an open mind to the possibilities of what the other person was saying.

You never know who is reading your posts, or who may be rethinking their stance based on something you said.
edit on 9/1/2012 by Klassified because: ETA

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Some people are perfectly content to live their lives as the way things are
1) They have decent way of life.
2) Some people are to focused material accumulation to have time spent on learning.
3) Some people are obsessed with up to the second up dates from their friends on facebook to care about anything else.
4) Many people fear change and cling to the world as they know it .
5) It comes down to core personality traits some people are more open for debate some shut down and get all defensive.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Samuelis

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of facebook myself.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

I have to leave my computer for awhile, but here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Choose who you want to discuss things with more carefully. That's what the friends list here is for IMO.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Just so you know I am following this discussion, I just don't know what else there is to say on the matter. Please keep it coming.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

What Good Is Discussing Things?

With emphasis on discussing, the point is to enjoy yourself. Arguing or being told to go read a library's worth of information on something is not discussion, not chat, not conversation. If we pick up tidbits of info, that's fine, to wonder if someone's mind can be changed or not, this is competition, not discussion.

If people post personal stuff, then maybe they're opening the door to hear some harsh truth about themselves, but for the most part, this is a chat forum. Why come here if it's not, first and foremost, FUN?

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

If people post personal stuff, then maybe they're opening the door to hear some harsh truth about themselves,

The problem with telling people the cold hard "truth" about them, is often times that truth is based on very little information, and they don't really know the person or the full circumstances of their situation, and the perspectives of the other people involved.

That's why I don't tell people the cold hard "Truth".

It is often a snap judgement with very little information.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Well I see that from what you just posted in another thread along with this thread that you beleive that the only truth is your truth and the only right opinion is your opinion. Im done here good luck to you.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

i totaly agree with you heff.

i know i have changed my views, at least to a small amount if not more, i am alot more open to things i used to just discount without even listening. i have learned to listen before speaking, as one never knows what another is about to say next.

I have also noticed that even when my particular view isnt changed in that moment, the conversation still sits with me somtimes, and even weeks or months later I still recall the wisdom of others, and somtimes the change occurs then.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Put simply, to learn. discussing things gives you new avenues to ponder, new ideas you may not have thought of before. You may not change the world by bringing up a subject, but the idea is out there and in people's heads.

Only the close-minded and those not willing to broaden their horizons are truly pointless to discuss anything with.

new topics

top topics

join