It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeless Isaac Victim: Romney Told Me To 'Go Home And Call 211'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Mitt Romney To Homeless Flood Victim: 'Go Home And Call 211'
(huffingtonpost.com)

Joe Biden told a wheelchair-bound Senator Chuck Graham to 'stand up', Obama said "57 states", and the media has been unrelenting in their ridicule of these gaffes.

Now we have Romney telling a homeless person to 'go home'.

Romney and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R) spent close to an hour meeting with first responders and local officials. Romney shook hands with National Guardsmen outside the U.S. Post Office and talked with a local resident, Jodie Chiarello, 42, who lost her home in Isaac's flooding.

"He just told me to, um, there's assistance out there," Chiarello said of her conversation with Romney. "He said, go home and call 211." That's a public service number offered in many states.

Now go away little homeless flood victim, you obviously bother the good Governor.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

It must be difficult for them pretending to know how the other half lives. Just glad he didn't forget and say call the driver for your car and go home.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Yes, indeed. If your home was lost in the flood, just go to your aircraft or your yacht. I'm certain you'll find a phone there. Now, run along.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
What makes this worse is how Romney (as well as Bobby Jindal and the rest of the GOP) are undermining the role of the federal government for disaster relief - then tell a storm victim who lost her home to 'go home and call 211'. WTF Mitt, not everyone has a spare house or two.

For those who do not know, 211 is a public service number one calls for basic human needs resources and other physical/mental resources in times of crisis. According to its website, you can also call it for unemployment benefits, daycare and donation centers. It's like the 311 number we have here in New York - it's a direct connection to your government, except they'll probably put you on hold for fifteen minutes or so. Relax, the government will help you when it gets around to it.
From: Hurricane Romney, "Go Home and Call 211" and the Politics of Everything

What an out-of-touch fool.

edit on 1-9-2012 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Better hurry up and call 211 while they're at it. Romneys gonna cut any sort of program that helps the people.

From a PR perspective he's an idiot, this would have been awesome press if he would have written those people a check.

edit on 1-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
This illustrates to me the actual man and not the created persona. When left to his own devices the best he could come up with was "Do whatever it is that people do" essentially. That is a bad sign IMO. A leader is supposed to be a leader. And a politician, at least, should know a publicity opportunity when they see one. The guy is a candidate for the Presidency and could easily have tapped a Secret Service person on the shoulder and whispered "Get this lady to a Red Cross tent - and make sure 15 reporters follow you. I'll be over there in an hour to take credit. Now, I'm not endorsing political stunts at all... I'm saying, this guy didn't even see the open play here.

How would he react if told "Mr President. China has just launched 1,100 missles..."???

Clarity under pressure defines a POTUS. This seems to suggest that maybe Mr Romney is lacking in that department.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

"It is the height of hypocrisy for Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan to make a pretense of showing sympathy for the victims of Hurricane Isaac when their policies would leave those affected by this disaster stranded and on their own."

This was the point made by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid yesterday when he chastised Mitt and Paul for even thinking that they could show sympathy for the hurricane victims. A bit harsh? Yes. In a statement, he wrote,

I have to agree with this statement.

There is such disconnect between Romney and the rest of America that I cannot understand where anyone thinks he can be good for the country. If he had not been born into wealth I do not think we would even be having the debate over his worthiness to be president. He bought his position he did not earn it.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Sounds like a moment of brain-dead...edness, rather than any sort of disconnect with people. Romney surely has plenty of disconnect, though, so it could be.

new topics

top topics

join