It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man shot over road rage

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
This story was on my local news and has really caused alot of mixed feelings in people over the right to carry firearms. I'm curious to see the opinions of ATS members on this issue. Below is a link to the story.

detroit.cbslocal.com...

I think the guy on the bicycle was out of control in his behavior but geez, if that guy had'nt had a gun, that guy on the bike would still be alive.

Or why didn't the guy with the gun just flash a sight of it to get the other guy to back off?!

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Hope4peace

You don't "flash" your gun to scare someone off. If you're carrying, you know that either you draw or you don't show your gun at all. If a situation is to the point where you need to "scare someone off" by brandishing a gun, you're within your rights to draw and use deadly force. And the shooter in question was 100% justified in shooting. If someone starts assaulting you, anything you do is in self-defense.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hope4peace
This story was on my local news and has really caused alot of mixed feelings in people over the right to carry firearms. I'm curious to see the opinions of ATS members on this issue. Below is a link to the story.

detroit.cbslocal.com...

I think the guy on the bicycle was out of control in his behavior but geez, if that guy had'nt had a gun, that guy on the bike would still be alive.

Or why didn't the guy with the gun just flash a sight of it to get the other guy to back off?!

According to police, the driver was traveling northbound on Telegraph, turning eastbound onto Northline around 6:30 p.m., when the bicyclist disregarded a “Do Not Cross” and crossed into his path, causing a collision. Witnesses allegedly told police the bicyclist went for the driver after being struck, repeatedly punching him through the vehicle’s window.

And the guy in the car might of been beaten to death, whats your point.

key sentence here "repeatedly punching him through the vehicle’s window"
edit on 31-8-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Long ago if a person cut me off (and I drive fast) I would give him the bird.

My husband told me not to do that, to ignore people who are obnoxious on the road.

Why?

Where he works at about 1 out of 4 of the blue collar workers carry.

A story: About ten years back (and we live in a really nice suburb) a cop pulled a car over right in front of our house. He had the guy put his hands on the car and spread his legs. We watched the officer pull out two rifles and a gun out of the guy's trunk.

As times are getting stranger and stranger it's best to lay low and be very aware of your surroundings and the people coming towards you as well as in back of you. Always carry either mace or wasp spray.

Good to never walk anywhere alone.

I know that sounds silly but it's come down to that, particularly if you are small in stature, old, a woman or kid, but now even men must be careful.

Know your area, get to know your neighbors.

Now with woman's lib - comes another dilemma, woman use to (notice past tense) use to be able to get away with being rude and obnoxious in public, not anymore.

My husband says as a man he has always had to watch his mouth and gestures, and he's a big lanky guy.....no short, light guy.

Women and girls didn't use to have to watch their mouth as closely, they were given more leeway, not anymore.

He says that now with woman's lib, woman are now in the same game as men, you give someone the finger, utter a crude, rude remark and the little princess may end up dead.

People are getting edgy and I predict will get even more so (not everyone) but enough that it pays to also try to ignore the small stuff and be prepared to handle the big stuff, even if you're a woman.

Woman wanted complete freedom, well they now have it, welcome to the men's world of having to watch your mouth if you value your teeth.

When my kids would go to the mall or movies I always told them, if you hear pop pop pop bang bang bang to hit the dirt - no really and this was decades ago. My 34 year old son remembers me telling him this and after the Aurora Shootings, he looked at me and said, "How the hell would you have known this was coming, I always thought your telling us that was stupid."
edit on 31-8-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Being a gun nut and an avid carrier of a fire arm at all times, I think the driver went a bit over the line. Justified? I believe so. But a bit over board. He could of put the car in gear and moved a few feet and closed the window or moved to the other side of the car. I dont think taking a life should be your first line of defense against an un armed attacker. Just my thoughts.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadeWolf

That was my first thought too but than as I tried to put myself in that situation I couldn't help but feel that maybe the driver reacted on impulse. Why not try to fight back (equally) or step on the gas and flee....seems like that would have been a better choice. It seems like whenever there is a gun involved, many panic, act impulsivly and don't think of the consequenses. If the guy on the bike would have had a gun than it would have been different.

The guy on the bike might have been mentally disabled and on his way to see his shrink or pick up his meds that he was in need of. You never know.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Cyclists are arrogant, so are jaywalkers. People no longer teach their kids how to cross a street. Ive seen people just walk out, without looking, expecting the driver to have cat like reflexes and stop before hitting them.
Its stupid, why take the chance with a 2k lb car, just because you think its your right?
What does it matter, if your DEAD?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Guns aren't the problem....the crazies are.

Fix that...and you fix gun violence. Of course, good luck with that problem.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadeWolf

You don't "flash" your gun to scare someone off. If you're carrying, you know that either you draw or you don't show your gun at all.

Not to sound like a smart @ss but in all seriousness....why do you say that?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Doesnt anyone ever fist fight anymore? Im not saying people should be starting violence or anything but wouldnt it be better to fist fight and live another day>

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Guns aren't the problem....the crazies are.

Fix that...and you fix gun violence. Of course, good luck with that problem.

True, but you have to admit....there is a lot of firearm abuse out there in the world and there are some people that have no business carrying period due to their mental health and lack of respect for human life.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by justin366
Doesnt anyone ever fist fight anymore? Im not saying people should be starting violence or anything but wouldnt it be better to fist fight and live another day>

I have a heart condition caused by a stroke, and am currently disabled.

If a maniac is attacking me with his fist, the excitement and exertion could kill me.

If I was armed, and someone was unreasonably attacking me with their fist, I would feel justified in drawing on them, I would warn them, but If they continued it could very well be my life.

I would fire.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Dont get me wrong people should be able to carry guns. I am totally for the right to carry guns. But it just seems like now days people are so quick to pick up a gun and take someones life instead of finding other ways.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

....there is a lot of firearm abuse out there in the world...

While I understand your point, I wonder as a percentage of gun ownership to perpetrators of gun violence, whether the relative term "a lot" changes its meaning.

I suspect it does...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

reply to post by benrl

Dont get me wrong people should be able to carry guns. I am totally for the right to carry guns. But it just seems like now days people are so quick to pick up a gun and take someones life instead of finding other ways.

By all means, explain to me what other ways someone in my condition could use to fend off a close quarters attack?

Stun gun? I had one of those, when I was young me an my friends would tazer each other for #s and giggles, they are not as effective as you would think.

Mace or pepper spray in close quarters? did I mention I am asthmatic, I was disqualified for military service out of highschool when I tried because of it, mace or pepper spray could kill me as well.

Lets remove my conditions, what would you suggest a young women, or elderly person do in those situations, what is the other way if your not some macho man who can use his fist and size to get out of situations.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

If I was armed, and someone was unreasonably attacking me with their fist, I would feel justified in drawing on them, I would warn them, but If they continued it could very well be my life.

I would fire.

I completely agree with you here....but another poster said it's wrong to flash your gun if you're not intending to shoot to kill more or less. I don't understand his/her frame of thinking on that one.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

....there is a lot of firearm abuse out there in the world...

While I understand your point, I wonder as a percentage of gun ownership to perpetrators of gun violence, whether the relative term "a lot" changes its meaning.

I suspect it does...

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say here exactly? Please clarify.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

You should never point your gun at anything you don't intend to shoot, that would be brandishing if your life is not in danger.

Like I said, I would shoot in that situation, but I would certainly give the attacker the chance to retreat if he was unarmed.

Armed is another story, I would shoot on sight of the weapon.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Count the number of gun owners to the number of those gun owners who perpetrate gun related offenses.

I suspect the latter number is actually quite small.
edit on 31-8-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

It's a shame that our society has gotten the way it has. Such a lack of respect for others and a lack of control of human tempers.

What scares me the most is I have a 16 year old son that has Aspergers syndrome and his worst trouble with that is a lack of social skills.

Not a lot of people understand these types of folks and their way of processing information. My son for example will sometimes have what they call "meltdown's" in public places when he get's over loaded with stressfull stimuli. Things that you or I could easily brush off isn't so easy for some of these kids to do.

Just yesterday I took him shopping for school clothes and when I asked him to go into the changing room and try on the jeans he told me "no". When I asked him why he didn't want to, he replied with "well they might have camera's in there and I don't want anyone to see me naked". Well a teenage girl overheard him and said, "no, they don't have camera's".

I think maybe he thought she was laughing at him so he said back to her "well how would you know? It's not like anyone would want to see you naked anyway"! My jaw dropped!!! As I scolded him he then burst into tears and sobbed like a small child. He knew that what he said was wrong.

Some of these kids with Asperger's don't have that control to "think before they speak". I'm really seeing Asperger's on the rise and I worry for these children's future.
The thought of more hotheads carring firearms out in public really worry's me.

I would really love to find out more about what causes Asperger's....I can't help but wonder if the government is involved in it somehow.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join