It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars curiosity Sol2 Anomalies

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
I think they should put a line on areas of the picture where they fused the image...

Well, that would make a pretty sucky screensaver.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Thanks Ophiuchus!

I thought I should add, as food for thought.

If it was stitching, they must have recreated part of the wheel, as the wheel overlaps a duplicated stitch point. (see below - the wheel partially hides some of the duplicate imagery)

I wonder what % of the image is real, I personally would prefer a chopped, blacked out scrappy image that is true to it's capture.

ains,

edit on 31-8-2012 by ainsley because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
Yes I see it too.

the duplication of certain parts of the terrain.

I can only assume it is stitching/joining where the camera moves around but cannot take an exact matching photo so you end up with black gaps.. to adjust for this, bits a re snatched from exisiting pics to "match up" the new stuff, giving us this "double (or even tripple) take"

that's the way I see it anyway..

I have to agree with you. Here is the original image that was used to put this panoramic together. No clones anywhere.

Full resolution img here:

edit on 31-8-2012 by Holosapien because: IMG

edit on 31-8-2012 by Holosapien because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
At first I was thinking...
here we go again... but as I looked closer I was like...
what the ...you're onto something here!

I'm keen to find out what the score is.
S&F

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ainsley

Thanks Ophiuchus!

I thought I should add, as food for thought.

If it was stitching, they must have recreated part of the wheel, as the wheel overlaps a duplicated stitch point. (see below - the wheel partially hides some of the duplicate imagery)

I wonder what % of the image is real, I personally would prefer a chopped, blacked out scrappy image that is true to it's capture.

ains,

You are welcome ains and thank you for showing actual proof of image editing. From time to time I look into the images for these exact type of clues editing clues for whats trying to be hid WILL leave trace if covered as shown. So 1 wonders what was seen crawling across the martian surface?
and if its something that WOULD scare humans of EA*RTH well SOME then acknowledged but still cool that the imagination can run with it. Not to mention what the Mars Recon Orbiter has observed near CAVES of MARS
take care and keep up the good work.
ainsley

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Holosapien

I wasn't entirely confident that it was stitching, thanks for the reply though, that image does help somewhat.

I still see duplicates, I don't have time tonight to go through the entire image but from a quick glance:

ains,

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Here are some more Duplicates high lighted in Yellow. The Red Circle shows Duplicate One in OPs original post. Sure there might be lots more but this was done by me quickly.

Are these duplicates due to PATCHING the whole picture together from numerous smaller ones?

Duplicates

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Just zoomed in onto max and rotated around lander and sure enough there are loads more duplicates all over in a 360 degree circle.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by RubberDuckGB

Are these duplicates due to PATCHING the whole picture together from numerous smaller ones?

Yes they are. The source images from sol 2 are available here:
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 8/31/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I swear if you look on the bottom left of these photo's there is a condom wrapper!

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ainsley
reply to post by Holosapien

I wasn't entirely confident that it was stitching, thanks for the reply though, that image does help somewhat.

I still see duplicates, I don't have time tonight to go through the entire image but from a quick glance:

ains,

Glad I could help.

Honestly I don't see any duplicates where you are pointing at on both circles in the above image. I see two different patterns.

Cheers
edit on 31-8-2012 by Holosapien because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for the reply phage! (& Holosapien)

I have compared quite a few photos this evening and this is definitely a panoramic image stitch artefact rather than a clone tool being implemented to "fill in" areas. The tiny "hematite" (or some substrate) balls number so many that they "appear" to correlate with others, not actually image exactly.

On a anecdotal note ....

NLA_397681941EDR_F0020000AUT_04096M_

source

Thanks to everyone who replied!

[case closed]

ains,

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

This a great find. I love the way your mind works. I couldn't see it at first then it was so clear.....something is afoot here....looking forward to seeing any developments.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
The whole NASA space program is FAKE FAKE FAKE.
Some people have been saying this for years.

Apollo, and more space hoaxes

Wakey Wakey Time People.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I'm a professional photographer and yes that is definitely cloning. However ---

During the stitching they had clone errors and needed to fix them. Pretty common as stitching is an automatic process and not edge to edge, lots of overlap. Most likely reason. Nothing fishy, in my professional opinion.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Whatever the reason, we are NOT seeing the original.

I'd prefer to see UN-stitched UN-cloned photo's.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
im not seeing it. Really looks just like a broke up layer of dirt and rock fragments.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutonaLimb
The whole NASA space program is FAKE FAKE FAKE.
Some people have been saying this for years.

Apollo, and more space hoaxes

Wakey Wakey Time People.

Down the rabbit hole we go...

Great find OP.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
Whatever the reason, we are NOT seeing the original.

I'd prefer to see UN-stitched UN-cloned photo's.

The original (or "originals", considering the OP's image was a mosaic made up of a bunch of smaller images) is available for anyone to see here:

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

As other have already pointed out, the reason for the anomaly is that the OP's image was stitched together from smaller ones, and there are duplications of rocks at the seams. That is very clear from looking at the originals, which are readily available on NASA's and JPL's websites.

The general public likes to see the stiched-together mosaic panoramas. If they only presented the smaller pictures (un-stitched together), it would be difficult to get a sense of what we are seeing. The context that the whole panorama gives is helpful.

Duplications of the image around the seams of the stitching is probably hard to avoid, so we are going to get those errors. HOWEVER, if you want to do research, just look at the original smaller images that the mosaic was created from.

edit on 9/1/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Making a panorama with several photos is hard work, as anyone that has tried it can tell you, even using software done just for that type of work.

Most of the times we need to point the common points between two images to make the software work, as things that we recognise as the same from a slightly different perspective may not be that obvious for the software doing the stitching. We can do it by hand, but then it will take much longer, with no guarantee that it will look better.

So yes, that's the result of stitching together the images that make the whole panorama.

PS: as I write this I am doing a panoramic view of the place where I work, and even with 126 images for just one room it's a little difficult to get it right.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join