It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new Debate Forum - Calling all Fighters

page: 47
<< 44  45  46    48  49  50 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

Have a good break and if you decide to return to this forum, I would be more than happy to have a debate with you. I had been looking forward to one actually but it'll wait.

Take care Spike !

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Hello all. Good to be here. I really feel like this will be my new ats home. Many of you know I like to share my opinion. But it will be wonderful to have a place to give me some structure and the chance to debate the very best of ats. I am changing ISP s right now so I am limited to Starbucks and my phone for a week. I look forward to my first debate of many here.
edit on 28-12-2012 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Final post is up in the Public Education debate and we're ready for judgement! Thanks to Skyfloating for an interesting debate... really dredged up some old (and occasionally good, lol,) memories of my schooling those many years before...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

Don't forget where you have friends. May the new year bring you refreshment and new perspective. Enjoy life, it's too short to be discouraged by it.

Best-o-luck, my friend.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

You should make an excellent contributor to this forum. Glad you found your way here. I was rather impressed by your behavior in the SH threads, and noticed at the time you had "member" status.

Just curious if the banner link in my sig drew you in. Your feedback would be appreciated.

The structured debate is an excellent way to hone your critical thinking skills, but in your case I feel you need little to no refinement. You will find here, however, no noise in the discussions.

With that said, I am finishing up a debate with Heff soon, and have a scheduled re-match with RA on queue, but after the new year things should be going full tilt again. It seems we've lost (temporarily) Patrick and Spike, so you are a welcome addition to the ATS debate team.

The question needs asked: What topics are you willing to debate? Any suggestions to present?

I'm more than willing to offer you your first formal debate here, as I do with all the newcomers. Care to accept the challenge?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I have a topic for people..

In a tragedy, should the police release info immediately, or hold it until they are done with the investigation, and should all names, even of minors be made public...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

If we could refine the topic, I may be interested in taking on that debate.

Which side are you interested in tackling?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

Outside of participating in that particular debate, I really had to think about the answer for a few minutes. A touchy subject needs a wise response, not a knee-jerk reaction. I don't think that a challenge match would work either, but a persuasion match would. Short and to the point, and let the judges decide it.

I'll refrain from posting my thoughts here, but would be willing to do so in a persuasion match. The answer can be presented in a single 5000 character post, but I wouldn't want to take it any further than that. Too sensitive a topic right now.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I don't think vkey is interested in participating, she was just presenting the topic.

Refined how? I'm also interested, now that I'm thinking about it.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

I don't think vkey is interested in participating, she was just presenting the topic.

Refined how? I'm also interested, now that I'm thinking about it.

Druid is correct, I'm just throwing it out there, due to current demands that info be free flowing. I cannot debate this topic as the incident in question is too close to me, and I would end up either

a) breaking down crying at my keyboard like a little girl
b) smashing my computer screen to high heaven..

Neither would be a desired outcome..

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Hey Sheepslayer, I was out walking Oscar the other morning and I was thinking of what some of the toughest ideas to defend would be. For whatever reason, this came to me, with the impression that I should offer it to you. I've argued it with others in the past, but never in a defined format, such as we have here.

Topic: Absolute morality exists.

I would take "pro".

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

After re-reading it, I suppose the topic does not need to be refined at all. Maybe just re-worded to say "Police should release info before the investigation is complete". We could incorporate names (minors as well) into the debate.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Well, I'm glad that you thought of me while Oscar was doing his business.

This sort of debate is right down my alley but I have to admit that I feel the topic is somewhat loaded in your favor. Absolute morality is a belief many people hold and therefore "exists".

Now if the topic was "Moral absolutism vs. Moral relativism" or "Human morality is absolute", I may be more inclined to engage in this debate.

What are your thoughts?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Ok, I'm onto the fact that the topic doesn't need refined, but the wording needs fixed, for the simple fact of fitting it into a title.

I also stressed a persuasion match. The topic is too sensitive to draw out into a lengthy debate. One post per.

I'll present this topic, for persuasion match only, and I think it rings true:

"Information about Mass Shootings, involving minors, should not be released until the police report is filed."

I'm keeping it terse, on purpose. We know it will be about SH, but I perceive that is what vkey08 wants. It fits into the title space.

Following accordingly, I will state that I will take either position, so SS, if you wish to engage, decide your position.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

Well, I'm glad that you thought of me while Oscar was doing his business.

Well, he wasn't "getting busy" at the time, lol. It's just one of the few times during the day when my mind is free to wander. During the week, someone else owns my brain during most "non-walk" times.

Now if the topic was "Moral absolutism vs. Moral relativism" or "Human morality is absolute", I may be more inclined to engage in this debate.

What are your thoughts?

"Human morality is absolute" is indefensible, so that one's out. I don't really see the difference between "Moral absolutism vs. Moral relativism" and what I proposed, so I'd be open to that one.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I'm game for a one post persuasion match.

"Information about Mass Shootings, involving minors, should not be released until the police report is filed."

Will this debate be directed specifically towards minors and mass shootings, or will we simply include the topic into our one post while touching on the overall issue of how information should be released?

Either way, I accept and prefer the pro. I just like to know the specifics before I dig in.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

"Moral absolutism vs. Moral relativism"

Let's do it!

I'll take the relativism argument and you can open the debate.

Please allow a day or two so that I can focus on the persuasion match with Druid first.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Internet came early to the bknapple32 household. So Im ready to go!

I gladly accept. And I appreciate the kind words as we were on opposite sides, and others didn't take too kindly to me in the SH threads.

As for what I'll debate? Anything and everything. And while naturally, I will probably do better debating topics I feel I am on the right side of, I am more than willing to debate pros or cons of any topic and perhaps learn something along the way

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
reply to post by Druid42

I'm game for a one post persuasion match.

Will this debate be directed specifically towards minors and mass shootings, or will we simply include the topic into our one post while touching on the overall issue of how information should be released?

Either way, I accept and prefer the pro. I just like to know the specifics before I dig in.

Answer:

we simply include the topic into our one post

You have the pro, and it appears all other issues are resolved, therefore, I submit it for approval.

I am off work until the 2nd of January, and since you took pro, you get to set up the debate, and start the 24 hour clock, pending mod approval. The mod that approves this should also be the mod that accepts our original posts before submission. I'll be able to respond within whatever 24 hour period over the next few days, so as soon as we get approval, you can post the opening.

Thanks for agreeing to such a sensitive topic.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

Good to see you are all set up with your new ISP! Congrats. I thought I'd have a week before addressing a formal debate with you, but hey, Christmas came early!

(Side: It's easy to take the side you know, but when you start taking the con side of an argument you realize what a challenge it presents. It's so for me in the debate sheepslayer and I are setting up.)

Toss out three topics, and I'll throw out three as well, and perhaps we'll find a debate within. I'll ask Rising Against to postphone our rematch a few days, I'm sure he won't mind, with the knowledge of us working in a debate for the practical purpose of getting your feet wet in this forum.

Got a few ideas? I'm ok with nearly any topic.

new topics

top topics

<< 44  45  46    48  49  50 >>

join