It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bionerd - Tiny fragment of Chernobyl debris = 17Sv per hour

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
This isnt anything new, and im sure some members have seen this, but it fascinates me everytime i see it, the power it has...

and I’m always floored at the end when she shows the size of the fragment causing such an astronomical reading..

chernobyl 2012: finding a fragment of chernobyl's nuclear reactor fuel (in nature)

edit on 30-8-2012 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Want to see this, but can't. Will do so later on.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
She calls it beautiful, i call it an atrocity of man.
Fascinating yes, beautiful no.

Lest we not forget the outcome of Chernobyl.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I don't understand, why take it home with you, and touch it???
Isn't that dangerous? Then put it back and hide it?? Shouldn't someone have been called to dispose of it properly? I am confused.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
how not to investigate an alledged piece of radioactive debris

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
What happens if you eat/drink/breathe that it in? It was really tiny.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Its against Uk laws to even touch it.
Hence her shyness to the people around her.

edit on 30-8-2012 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
What happens if you eat/drink/breathe that it in? It was really tiny.

Its a hot particle. it can remain inside of you, irradiating you over the long term.
It poses some serious health issues. not to mention picking that from the dirt
she could have stirred up more than she even knew existed.
She blatantly endangered her life and the camera operators and passerby.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
The title has to be wrong. Any human exposed to 17Svh for any amount of time would die almost immediately.Most likly its 17milliseverts or 17 microseverts

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
that's quite some dose.

17000 mili sv is quite large.

So its 1.7sv...
look up wikipedia for sv doses and at 4sv its borderline kill you territory.
edit on 30/8/2012 by diddy1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Its quite clear in the video, the decimal on the counter moves.
im sure its 17 micro sv.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
didn't the lady say that it was overloading the meter ?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
if you notice its an old school soviet era analogue meter.
The digital meter tells the real truth.
She probably has a Google adsence account and is a ploy to attract views.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
I don't understand, why take it home with you, and touch it???
Isn't that dangerous? Then put it back and hide it?? Shouldn't someone have been called to dispose of it properly? I am confused.

The disaster is an atrocity.. the amount of potential energy from such a tiny spec is absolutely beautiful and a wonder of nature .. I can understand why she chose that word.. look at how tiny it is and look at how much it's radiating.. that is extraordinary ..

But I do think we're foolish in how we harness that energy.. or try to .. I have no problem with nuclear energy but if I had my way.. plants would be buried underground far from people.. not on the surface.. build them hundreds of feet below, encased in concrete with only a vent for steam.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
So lemme see if I got this straight. She goes out of her way to pick up ejected fuel and takes it home with her, all the while not using a single peice of PPE? Her home is almost certainly mildly contaminated . Seems just unnecesarily risky....just sayin..

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

I am not for Nuclear power, I don't care how deep you bury it. The consequences far outweigh the benefits imho. I am concerned for that girl, she may have harmed herself, and by returning the fragment is harming others. I am still puzzled about why she did not report it and have it taken care of correctly.

I do not see any beauty in it at all, only horror.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist

I am not for Nuclear power, I don't care how deep you bury it. The consequences far outweigh the benefits imho. I am concerned for that girl, she may have harmed herself, and by returning the fragment is harming others. I am still puzzled about why she did not report it and have it taken care of correctly.

I do not see any beauty in it at all, only horror.

And I disagree, respectfully..

The benefits of nuclear energy far outweigh the benefits of fossil fuels ... which we will deplete over time.

The only issue with nuclear is how to properly handle waste, and how to contain disasters... the earth is loaded with radioactive material but most of that is in the ground as is .. that is why I think creating nuke plants underground is the best possible option... if the plant went critical hundreds of feet beneath the surface and encased already in an enclosure.. it would have no negative impact on anyone but those who worked within the plant if they didn't get out in time.

As we progress as a civilization we're going to HAVE to have some alternative energy option.. Nuclear seems to be the next logical course... Solar after that... We've not managed to harness solar energy efficiently.. same with wind .. these are all steps in our development..

edit on 8/30/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by unsteadystate
So lemme see if I got this straight. She goes out of her way to pick up ejected fuel and takes it home with her, all the while not using a single peice of PPE? Her home is almost certainly mildly contaminated . Seems just unnecesarily risky....just sayin..

Did you actually watch the full video? =) .. you didn't get it straight...

She didn't take it home... she wouldn't be allowed to take it out of the zone.. they have radiation detectors as you try to leave.. that was all mentioned... that tiny fragment that emits that much radiation would have set off even weak detectors..

She examined it at a place on site.. and then put it back afterwords for someone else to find.. she spoke of geocaching .. google it =)
edit on 8/30/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

The only issue with nuclear is how to properly handle waste, and how to contain disasters.

Gee is that all, just a couple of wee glitches then. I agree we need an alternative or alternatives, just not this one.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

nuclear fusion happens every day,all day! look at the sun!
don't blame nature,blame man for trying to pretend he can do better than nature!
FAIL!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join