It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Discover Millions of New Black Holes and a Rare Type of Galaxy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

NASA’s Wide-field Infrared Survey Telescope (WISE) has uncovered millions of supermassive black holes in our universe as well as a strange new type of galaxy, called a hot DOG or dust-obscured galaxy.

“This is a jackpot of black holes, two to three times more than have been found by any other survey,” said astronomer Daniel Stern, during a NASA press conference today.

By carefully scanning the entire night sky in infrared wavelengths, WISE has spotted more than 2.5 million black holes, all of them actively feeding on gas and dust in their host galaxies. Most of these supermassive objects, known as quasars, are roughly 10 billion light-years away.

www.wired.com...

Could you imagine riding a spacecraft through this region? Talk about tip toe through the tulips! My God, it's a minefield out there people!

Surely this should give them more of an idea what black holes are and what they actually do? Including, where "stuff" goes!?

edit on 29-8-2012 by CaptainBeno because: pics

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: Posting work written by others. **ALL MEMBERS READ**– Please Review This Link.
edit on Wed Aug 29 2012 by Jbird because: added ex tags

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Ouch, that is some black hole field. Luckily, they are quite far apart each other, you should be able to weasel your way if you ever got there. If I were Captain Jean-Luc Picard, I would put Data at the helm, and say, "no faster than quarter-impulses!"

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Whoa, think about how star travelers avoid these things.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Black holes are the worst

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Oh gosh...all of a sudden...I feel so tiny....

Super find.....

Des

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
You will never find out exactly what happens to things that go into black holes by studying what they look like from earth. Sad but true. As far as we can tell nothing ever ever ever comes out of one, gravity is so strong not even light can escape them. Thats why theyre black. we can only detect them by seeing whats getting sucked in. So what if theres a bunch of blackholes out there that gobbled up everything near them, and are just so far out in the middle of nowhere that they cant eat much of anything? Such a blackhole could be pretty close to our solar system, close for astronomical distances atleast. They probably still emit hawking radiation but whose to sat we would detect and recognize it? And how do they emit hawking radiation if gravity is so strong in them?

The day that we accidently lose an unmanned craft into a blackhole we didnt see will be a great day. Infact, itll probably be done intentionally one day.....scientists love blowing expensive things up for science....

I have a feeling the official story is essentially the truth. You fall into a blackhole and you get ripped apart subatomic particle by subatomic particle and assimilated into the singularity.

However, the physics of simply being near the singularity are very interesting. I believe john titors time machine physics might be true. Even though he was a fake.

edit on 29-8-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
The WISE images have always amazed me. Shows the fractal nature of the universe and reminds me of psychedelic art work. Its mind boggling to think every blue dot in this picture is its own star system.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

Nicely put.........again

Yes, I believe you are right.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by BriGuyTM90

Amazing, I can't even comprehend it.

The thought process alone hurts my head!!!

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
reply to post by BriGuyTM90

Amazing, I can't even comprehend it.

The thought process alone hurts my head!!!

That looks like one of those artist enhanced photos to me. but even without such PR schemes, i agree. One of those things that makes me think maybe it really was designed.....of course, i believe that it designed itself...

And thank you, :p

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

It is a false color image but just like with fractals the colors are arbatray they could be anything but they still represent different values in this case heat or infrared radiation. So altho these might not be the exact colors it still is a photograph that shows the emens detail and complexity of our universe

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by swan001

Ouch, that is some black hole field. Luckily, they are quite far apart each other, you should be able to weasel your way if you ever got there. If I were Captain Jean-Luc Picard, I would put Data at the helm, and say, "no faster than quarter-impulses!"

you have officially won the nerd award for today!

congrats !

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
The material goes into a black hole at the horizontal and comes out in the vertical. When it comes out it is different than when it went in. Eventually the material forms mass again as it groups back. In essence the universe recycles itself.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

"I have a feeling the official story is essentially the truth. You fall into a blackhole and you get ripped apart subatomic particle by subatomic particle and assimilated into the singularity."

you think the destruction of subatomic particles may be the fuel to the engine of a black hole, and therefore galaxy.,.,.,. perhaps even creating or causing black energy which is thought to keep a galaxy spiraled and in form?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar

They don't...they use them to get thru space. I really do think one way or another that we can use black holes as a time warp of some sort.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation

Originally posted by antar

They don't...they use them to get thru space. I really do think one way or another that we can use black holes as a time warp of some sort.

to me thats like saying we can use a tornado to travel around the country,..,

except one that 999999999999999999999^99999999 times more powerful and destructive......

but,, i dont really know so maybe it isss possible...

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
The material goes into a black hole at the horizontal and comes out in the vertical. When it comes out it is different than when it went in. Eventually the material forms mass again as it groups back. In essence the universe recycles itself.

That is an interesting idea.
Radio Lobes do form at vast distances vertical to the horizon and are massive.
When a star goes supernova also the same model apples they are called Sprites - The Crab Nebula is a fine example of this..

Also Hubble has witnessed Material being "Burped out" of a Black Hole.
The Burp was said to contain enough material that when it coalesces could form a Galaxy as large as The Milky Way.

Black Holes are nothing to fear - they are part of Nature - In this case Universal Nature

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove

yep, thats what i believe. The universe is a perpetual recycling machine,although i`ve imagined that black holes suck stuff in and breaks them down to their lowest basic forms. then when there is nothing left to suck in all that stuff shoots back out creating a new big bang or something of the kind.
edit on 3-9-2012 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Yeah kinda I guess?

It's only going to be a "Matter" of time before an object saturates itself. If an object? However, if "Matter" is being transported to elsewhere, who knows?

Like a river flow or aerodynamic flow, could there be (depending on amount of "stuff" being sucked in) some form of "eddying" on the periphery of the event horizon.....or perhaps even deeper beyond that causing some form of ejection?

new topics

top topics

join