It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do People Believe In Zombies?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I do love zombie movies and books, but I think it's because people these days are lazy and board. They long for a challenge, or struggle. They watch movies, play video games, surf the internet but in the end are relegated to their mundane lives. They're so desperate for motivation, that they wish for a zombie Apocalypse.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

And no zombie apocalypse involves zombies. Nukes are a nuclear apocalypse not zombie. Get your facts strait.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
This same sort of question came up several months ago when the vampire craze was in full swing. So now it is zombies.

I take the phenomena as the representative and growing tangible fear of an unknown threat to a typical 9-to-5 lifestyle. The fear is caused by an unspeakable uneasiness that gets muted and transformed in its harsh reality down into a joke that can be easily understood but on the other hand, recognized as an entirely false and rejectable concept for ease of mind, a displacement activity, in psychological terms.

This real fear overshadowing today's human existence in an up-to-date world is really unspeakable in a normal context but usually comes to us in one of two extremes. One faction comes as a high intellectual level and the other comes at the opposite end of the spectrum, the nitty-gritty end. One speaks of radical technologies and ideological concepts and the other speaks of terror in the streets. Yet, the point of the fear is the same, the growing realization that contact with, or knowledge of, ETs is at our door.

Call it the ET fear syndrome/disorder. Skeptics have it to a fault. Governments have it. Religious folks also as they try to bend their beliefs in a God around to accommodate high-tech aliens. Run-of-the-mill UFO nuts also have their own niche that they burrow into with various uncompromising views.about ETs. without good reason. In effect, it is doom and gloom across the field of modern human consciousness.

As the situation turns into hard, unescapable reality for everyone, the troubling of minds will begin in yet unimaginable ways. The population of the earth will become segmented into three main parts. Those that simply refuse to accept the acknowledgement of the ETs and continue their lives the best they can given the circumstances. Those that accept the coming and welcome the potential of such contact. And those that resist all of it. This latter group is not speaking of governments up in arms against contact, but average, formerly normal, folks that will cry, "Humans First!" and will fight with their blood and take that of others against the New Renaissance. Regardless, to use another old term, there will be a modern Crusade to carry the ET word around the world. It is inevitable.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCaucasianAmerican

And no zombie apocalypse involves zombies. Nukes are a nuclear apocalypse not zombie. Get your facts strait.

CDC Zombie Survival Guide
The CDC uses the zombie apoc as a reference to a catch all shtf scenario of survival. Is it a joke? not really. I live in florida. I currently have a zombie apoc plan..and my zombies come in the form of hurricanes that can black us out for weeks
Cali may have their zombie apoc plan which will kick into effect during a mega quake.
Pandemics happen, the black plague killed off 2/3rds of the world in medieval times.

a shtf plan is politically incorrect (gotta explain what the s stands for), but if you say a zombie apoc plan, it is a catch all for any ongoing disasters..be it plagues, natural disaster, earthquakes, or indeed zombies.

Sorry if your not up on modern cultural references...but don't be angry at people whom are...educate yourself a bit.

___

And as far as zombie lore goes (from your previous response), Yes, I know well how cells work (like freezing strawberries), your forgetting two things.
1) The manmade Z virus is plant based, therefore altering the cells to be plantlike (see resident evil)
2) The original Z's are supernatural, therefore the common issues with cell destruction doesn't apply.
aka, its fiction, you can't demand fiction isn't real..because first off, derp, and second off, you can come up with anything and fix the flaw...there, take your pick, both fit perfectly.

Only nutty people believe an actual Z outbreak is possible, a rabid virus, sure..but proper zombies...only the most insane would consider that potential
Or your typical religious person:

Matthew 27:52-53
"and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, and came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many."

Zechariah 14:12-13
And the LORD will send a plague on all the nations that fought against Jerusalem. Their people will become like walking corpses, their flesh rotting away. Their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will rot in their mouths.
On that day they will be terrified, stricken by the LORD with great panic. They will fight their neighbors hand to hand

Revelation 11:11
But after the three and a half days a breath of life from God entered them, and they stood on their feet, and terror struck those who saw them.

Etc.

Bible is a great source for horror movies

(the good book indeed..well, good horror fantasy anyhow)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Umm like you said its a shtf scenario. Not a zombie apocalypse. Same rules apply just no zombies.

For a zombie apocalypse you need zombies.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCaucasianAmerican

if it does happen, i will be hiding in the house with carl.
carl? carl!? hey has anyone seen carl?

-subfab

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by subfab

if it does happen, i will be hiding in the house with carl.
carl? carl!? hey has anyone seen carl?

-subfab

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
hurricanes that can black us out for weeks
mega quake.
Pandemics happen, the black plague killed off 2/3rds of the world in medieval times.

a shtf plan is politically incorrect (gotta explain what the s stands for), but if you say a zombie apoc plan, it is a catch all for any ongoing disasters..be it plagues, natural disaster, earthquakes, or indeed zombies.

Sorry if your not up on modern cultural references...but don't be angry at people whom are...educate yourself a bit.

Using it as a catch-all for any ongoing disaster is idiotic, at best. Who cares if it's currently a pop-culture fad? That doesn't mean it makes any sense. If werewolves were popular, would it make any sense to use "werewolf apocalypse" to refer to a natural disaster scenario??? What the hell do zombies have to do with hurricanes, earthquakes, etc?

Criticizing other people for not using idiotic, imaginary pop culture fads to refer to real-life disaster scenarios that have no relation to them whatsoever, and telling them to educate themselves....:yeah, because the people who don't use stupid terms like "zombie apocalypse" to refer to natural disasters are the ones that need to educate themselves....

edit on 30-8-2012 by Maroboduus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
People believe in zombies because they believe anything they see in Hollywood films.
Their minds have become susceptible to anything depicted in dramatic imagery.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maroboduus

hurricanes that can black us out for weeks
mega quake.

Using it as a catch-all for any ongoing disaster is idiotic, at best. Who cares if it's currently a pop-culture fad? That doesn't mean it makes any sense. If werewolves were popular, would it make any sense to use "werewolf apocalypse" to refer to a natural disaster scenario??? What the hell do zombies have to do with hurricanes, earthquakes, etc?

Criticizing other people for not using idiotic, imaginary pop culture fads to refer to real-life disaster scenarios that have no relation to them whatsoever, and telling them to educate themselves....:yeah, because the people who don't use stupid terms like "zombie apocalypse" to refer to natural disasters are the ones that need to educate themselves....

Because pop culture references makes the average joe more interested in learning it of course.
If you say a hurricane prep, earthquake, floods, virus, etc..first off, you have a endless line of specifics.
a zombie apoc has it all
virus contagium, resource gathering, neighborhood watch, medical considerations, loss of electricity, loss of family members, etc..if your prepared for a zombie apocalypse, your prepared for everything.

alternatively, it could be an alien apocalypse...but zombies are more in fashion today...still same thing,

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I believe in Zombies because I have personally seen one and watched it in action. They are extremely strong and three Zombies will take you out easily no matter how big you are. Those mixed drinks don't taste nearly as strong as they really are.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I think, for most people, the whole Zombie thing is just a "fun" way of prepping. Any scenario where the whole world falls into deep chaos will be similar enough. Regular people will basically be zombies, as many will be enemies trying to kill you and take what you have. Millions of such people roaming the world is close enough to a Zombie outbreak.

And there is the real possibility, however unlikely, that there is some virus or something that causes people to freak out, stop acting normal, and turn into what that crazy naked Florida guy was. Again, millions of people that like is close enough to zombie outbreak to me.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Because pop culture references makes the average joe more interested in learning it of course.
If you say a hurricane prep, earthquake, floods, virus, etc..first off, you have a endless line of specifics.
a zombie apoc has it all
virus contagium, resource gathering, neighborhood watch, medical considerations, loss of electricity, loss of family members, etc..if your prepared for a zombie apocalypse, your prepared for everything.

alternatively, it could be an alien apocalypse...but zombies are more in fashion today...still same thing,

I guess i see what you're saying but...if someone needs to add a zombie label on to something to learn about it or prepare for it, then that person is an idiot.

And i can't be mean to you, since you have the Hypnotoad in your signature.
edit on 31-8-2012 by Maroboduus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I believe in Zombies because I have personally seen one and watched it in action. They are extremely strong and three Zombies will take you out easily no matter how big you are. Those mixed drinks don't taste nearly as strong as they really are.

They haven't been in fashion since like 2005 sorry bud.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

It was way before 2005 that I encountered Zombies. Maybe thirty years before that
So you are saying Zombies are extinct now?
edit on 31-8-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I look at the zombie fad the same way I look at the Chuck Norris fad.
Its childish.

Chuck Norris is a crappy actor and zombies don't exist.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Not sure to be honest. Don't believe myself but i do love a good zombie book or film. I have just seen Cockneys Vs Zombies. Won't be spoiling for those that won't to watch, don't worry. Have to say though that it is ok (rather than excellent or rubbish) but it has the best zombie bit from any movie i have ever seen.......the only bit i will spoil........Richard Briars playing an OAP being chased by a zombie whilst using his zimmerframe! Slowest chase ever and sheer quality.......

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maroboduus
I guess i see what you're saying but...if someone needs to add a zombie label on to something to learn about it or prepare for it, then that person is an idiot.

Perhaps, but the roleplay makes it far more fun. I am not fully sure what the zombie fan madness is as of late. perhaps the miami story, perhaps the making of WWZ coming out in Dec, might be the game DayZ, more than likely The Walking Dead, etc.
But I have been a big fan of zombie flicks since I seen the original Dawn of the Dead in the 80s, and have been calling any emergency a zombie apocalypse for fun. Living in florida, I am always dealing with the damn zombies (hurricane blackouts, etc) and having to board up windows, hoard food, candles, etc..

As far as people believing in actual zombies, like dead coming back as rabid cannibals, meh..some people believe in vampires also. a bit of crazy makes the world interesting.

If Gozer the Gozarian (ghostbusters ref) told me to choose the method of destruction, I would say a walking dead style zombie apocalypse...zombies are a perfect monster. much better than evil aliens or nazi ghosts.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
Chuck Norris is a crappy actor and zombies don't exist.

Funny you should mention that
I find the meme amusing mind you...but I agree, he is a crappy actor.
But the one movie I did actually like with him in it was Silent Rage
Which is ultimately a zombie flick.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Walker Texas Ranger is soooo painful to try to watch an episode.(I sadly admit I have watched it before)
Bad acting and cheezy.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join