It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare hat-shaped cloud in Japan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...A rare cloud appeared near Mount Fuji after a strong typhoon swept through Japan.

The hat-shaped cloud, called "tsurushi-gumo", or hanging cloud, was seen on Wednesday morning.

Not sure if this should be here :Mods Please remove to other forum if unacceptable.

Cool hey? Click link for Vid.
edit on 27-8-2012 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Isn't that a Lenticular Cloud?

Vs.
edit on 27-8-2012 by Versus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Versus

Yeah, that's what I thought, but apparently this cloud is special

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Well near the volcano, like Mount Shasta, and other special places, Mount Sinai too! Those clouds are just your normal run of the mill ones all right.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

That's pretty cool capt...I wonder what it would feel like to float on it.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SarnholeOntarable

Originally posted by SarnholeOntarable
That's pretty cool capt...I wonder what it would feel like to float on it.

These types of clouds usually indicate that there are strong winds high in the atmosphere, so are not necessarily nice to float on

They sometimes form over high peaks, and can often be used as an indicator of bad weather approaching. When I lived in Ohakune, I saw many similar clouds over Mount Ruapehu, and I learnt that they were usually a good reason to avoid the ski fields

Here is a recent pic of a lenticular cloud over Ruapehu (some people mistook it for an ash cloud from the eruption of nearbyMount Tongariro.)

These clouds are caused by air being pushed higher into the atmosphere, where the air undergoes adiabatic cooling and condenses. These lenticular clouds are a form of lee wave. Similar clouds, often known as roll clouds, can indicate favourable conditions for glider pilots, with updraughts providing a means to gain altitude. So if you're in the right vehicle, perhaps it could be nice to float on

edit on 27/8/12 by Curious and Concerned because: fix smilie

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Lenticular clouds. Nothing unusual or "rare" about this. They're commonly seen over mountains. I see these hats every day almost.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Took this about a month ago in southern MN.\

i86.photobucket.com...

top topics

join