It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are in danger of entering a recession? I didn't know we were out...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I keep seeing more and more articles posted like these.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

www.cbsnews.com...

This is really starting to get to me. I saw the recession coming a long time ago. I am an attorney, lawyer, and counselor at law. [There really is no difference in the three titles]. Anyway back in 2005-2006 whenever I would have to appear for morning hearings the judge's would have maybe 30 hearings scheduled for the same morning. Only 2 or 3 of those hearings would be foreclosures. Then in early 2007 the same motion calendars would have 40-50 hearings scheduled and 10-12 would be foreclosures. By late 2007 sometimes there would be 70 or so hearings scheduled and only 10-12 of those were not foreclosures. It was obvious what was going on. In 2007 I also worked for a law firm that did those foreclosures. I rarely got involved in those. I didn't like it. It wasn't a moral decision but it was menial work to me. The same thing over and over again. At that time the firm would send out 30 to 40 demand letters a week. A week or two later we would get 37 payments in and only three would end up in foreclosure. Then we were sending the same 30 to 40 but only 3 were paying and the rest were going into foreclosure. We were clearly in a recession.

Now I am one of those "foreclosure" attorneys. Not because of choice. Well I could choose to be homeless, but I have to work and have bills to pay. I have a family that needs food, clothing, shelter... The fact is my book of business went bankrupt. After suffering for almost two years without a paying client in sight I gave in and started doing foreclosures because being practically homeless was not fun. Well today I am doing foreclosures. I hate it. Sure I see plenty of people who have figured out the system and have learned that they can pretty much live free for years if they play the game right. But I also see countless numbers of people who want to work but have been out of work, have had their paychecks cut, have gone from two income families to one income, etc. I have seen glimmers of light and hope for some of these people. I have been in their position. I went from making a very good living to losing everything. I finally was able to find a job after almost two years of struggling to survive. I make less than 1/2 of what I used to make.

I do not remember the recession being over. Now we are in danger of going back into it? What is this BS these politicians and media are sending us? Does anyone out there buy this? Things are getting better? for who?

Is there anyone out there who thinks we have gotten out of the recession and are in a recovery period? We are still in an economic crisis. So many people are out of work. Those of us who have jobs are barely getting by.
edit on 25-8-2012 by crazyguy2012 because: grammer. typing errors

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
recession?
i thought we were in a depression!

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyguy2012

The definition of a recession is 2 consecutive quarters of negative growth. We are "growing" at like 1% so technically we aren't in a recession.

I think the numbers are fixed personally. The government can manipulate certain numbers to make them look however they want.

Like we have 8.2% unemployment right?... Haha

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
well barack obama says were doing fine.
it's the government who needs help.

better send some money to the irs.

seriously, we are in a depression, and have been for some time.

yeah we got out of the recession, and went directly to a depression.

how many times have they said the housing market has hit bottom?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by autopat51
recession?
i thought we were in a depression!

I think so too. RECOVERY? I don't see it. Jobs? Where are they? There may be a few areas in need but not many. I just don't see it... I think the unemployment numbers are not correct. How many people have given up looking? How many people have accepted a menial job for half the pay they used to get just to have a steady paycheck? How many students are extending their stay in college because they cannot find employment. How many businesses have failed? I see plenty of office buildings and shopping centers that are pretty empty... Where exactly is this recovery?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
i have seen contractors here go belly up. i have seen others sell off equipment, and still others down size to just the boss and a couple workers. no one is building..anything.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
i drive a truck all over the country.
the only industries that are doing "ok" are
oil
food
and toiletries

empty real estate everywhere, i mean brand new buildings, empty.

inner cities look 3rd world

small rural towns, look like ghost towns.

farming would be ok except for in nebraska, iowa, and missuori.
the drought hit them real hard, dead corn everywhere.
expect farm forclosures.

wal-mart looks ok though

the only "major" road construction i've seen, is in washington d.c.

texas is a boomin....i mean thriving...

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
We have a seemingly never-ending depression going and the MSM is warning us of a recession. This is like calling a global nuclear war a turkey shoot.

I guess they are just warning us that it is going to get worse.

Tune 'em out. It is what it is.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I don't blame the government for this. Well I should say I don't only blame them. We are all at fault here all of us, we didn't have to take out that second mortgage, we didn't have to run up the debt. The banks, businesses, government, ourselves, WE let this happen. Now we sit back and expect the government to fix things. I don't expect the government to be able to correct our problems. However, I wouldn't expect them to stand in the way either. To me it seems like the parties are more concerned about each other's failures. Too concerned with trivial matters like abortion, drug control, gun control, gay marriage, iran, Israel, Syria, terrorism? We have been terribly distracted from our real problems. Are y more concerned about being robbed than you are of a terrorist attack? More people have died in Chicago from violent crime in than in any terrorist attacks. . The best way to reduce crime is to get people working. We need to create a real industry, real jobs. What happened to quality? What happened to the american standard? Sure you can buy cheap Chinese crap that will break soon after you buy it.... The government needs to pay attention to what really matters at this point.

The economy will improve. Maybe it is close to bottoming out. But the best thing we can do right now is to remember. The great depression was tough but it made us strong. It made us self reliant. We need to remember these times and how we got here so we do not repeat our mistakes. We need to recreate the american industry. We need to keep jobs here.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
the trouble with being self reliant is....
hardly anyone knows how to do anything anymore..
it has all been taken care of for us..
we buy what we need..we dont make it ourselves or repair it..
we just keep buying

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
if government would get the hell out of the way, and stop providing for everyone, using everyone else's labor, we would all be self reliant.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I'll just say this......things are NOT looking good. I just paid 80 cents for 4 eggs.
I'm really interested in finding out, what, if anything, is going to happen in December. I just have a bad feeling about the dates: 12/21/12 or 21/12/12...However you want to write it. For some reason, i have a feeling it's gonna be something regarding FOOD, or lack thereof. Maybe even a few MIND BLOWING disasters.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

Wow. That kind of puts everything into perspective. The bankers and traders and rich folk want the country to fail so they can make more money off of it. The government really needs to get out of business and business needs to get out of the government. I really need to sit and think about this for a while. We all should... The more the government becomes involved in bailing out banks and businesses the more likely this sh## will keep happening. This kind of makes too much sense...

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyguy2012
reply to post by BABYBULL24

Wow. That kind of puts everything into perspective. The bankers and traders and rich folk want the country to fail so they can make more money off of it. The government really needs to get out of business and business needs to get out of the government. I really need to sit and think about this for a while. We all should... The more the government becomes involved in bailing out banks and businesses the more likely this sh## will keep happening. This kind of makes too much sense...

Yup...all planned out.

Peace

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
One brother in law of mine who is an ER Doctor lost his job due to a lay off from a hospital in the Southern Ohio area. The hospital was not getting the customers to pay up their bills. The entire hospital closed it's doors. Now all those people in the country have to drive more than an hour to a major city to go to a hospital. He did find another job, but he lives two hours away from his family and moved in with his mother for the weeks he works.

Another brother in law Laywer was into title closings. After all the house refinancings quit happening, he has decided to work in wills and estates. People keep dying no matter what the economy is like.

A brother in Engineering can't seem to get a job at all and is getting divorced. That is so tragic and stressful to watch what is happening there. Three kids are involved.

The rest of us are lucky to have our stagnant incomes, lowered health/dental care and lowered 401K packages (for a while this was taken away totally from the employees.). People were laid off and not rehired. All employess had to do three people's jobs. Inventory went to bare bones. Teenagers existing with rising food prices and rising gas costs are difficult. The Once Upon a Child store has people lined up daily selling their used kids clothing for small sums of cash.... My teenager couldn't find a summer job and tried all summer.

I would like to see someone like Warren Buffet be President. Someone smart and frugal and responsible. A real person who is successful in their own life.

No, the recession never ended in my opinion, steel stock is at an all time bottom low. We are all coping and adapting the best we can. The neighbors and friends all have horror stories to tell. Best of luck to all.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I am also a U.S. Attorney, and also have a degree in Economics. I too have seen my business evaporating. Paying clients are drying up. Many people try to represent themselves, and get walloped. There are only so many Pro-Bono clients I can take and still have gas to get to court. I have done evictions, but quit that because it is to dis-heartening (but-for the grace of god, go I). I did not sign on for that.
I have said this before: We are not in a Depression, you eventually come out of a Depression. We are in an Economic Reversion. We are reverting back to an Agrarian Economy (The world buys our food; If you have food to sell, you are now doing much better than ever).
Cheap Imports have devastated our Economic Base. Manufacturing is the only way to create wealth out of thin air. Tax and Spend, Borrow and Spend, Print and Spend, -none of these will help. Every Dollar spent on Imports takes $7 out of the U.S. Economy. No one will talk about it; you never hear anything but lip service from the candidates(too many foreign campaign contributors, contributing too much money), and never a word from T.V. news shows.
Both parties are complicit, neither is innocent.
How to recover: put a $2 per pound import tax on all imports(except raw materials and fuels). Want to avoid the tax? BUILD IT HERE IN THE U.S.!
Even I am getting nervous about the future.
Ways to mitigate:
(1). Immigrate,
(2). Buy arable Land and become a Farmer, (or)
(3). Start pressing candidates about their International Trade Policy and vote the Economic Treasors out!
Otherwise, you have no future value except as Soldiers, or Tax/Debt Slaves for Washington.
edit on 26-8-2012 by EHowardHuntClub because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Surely you'v seen the stories coming out of California of cities declaring bankruptcy. Not only California, but Counties all over America. These are due to a considerable degree because of un-payable pensions for Government employees that have gotten retirement packages upwards of 3/4 of their working paychecks. Postal employees retirement benefits that are simply unsustainable. Entire industries that have abandoned the US in favor of more lenient tax structures and lower labor costs. How can $45.00 an hour Union labor compete with offshore companies when the costs outside are 60% less? Auto manufacturers who's more pragmatic members know the flow will last until the Bailout monies are exhausted. Then back to square one. A fluctuating fuel market. Illegal Aliens willing to work for very low wages, undercutting America's work force, and with no sense of pride or long term loyalties, basically transient. Banks have not even reached rock bottom yet, there are millions of foreclosures yet to come, the final numbers are not in yet, by any means. We are in such great distress, they are not planning recovery, they are planning how to hide from the masses or intern those who they feel would well get even for all the corruption. The Recession is no where near bottomed. Can it be made manageable and the US continue on towards recovery??? At some point the demand for payment will be made, and there simply are no funds to cover the debt. We must ride this to the final destination. Delaying the inevitable will do little good. RUSSIA has already done all this if you will recall. While we were enjoying Russia's fall, we failed to see the whole monetary catastrophe was coming our way to claim payment.

So....... as to your question... we have been in one and treading water for half a decade almost, and the end seems really nowhere in sight. We can print money, but we cant print prosperity. Prosperity comes from actual work and sweat, something very few have any idea of or compunction to do.
edit on 26-8-2012 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I was told by the banker, when I move to new bank. After got out of BoA, he said in 48 state, people are protest for jobs....

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyguy2012

I know how you feel here read my thread I ask a question why do people don't care about the coming Economic collapse and its replies

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join