It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seeking further info: Grand Canyon Lost City

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Hi all,

I'll preface this by saying that I am no scholar in these matters, but have a huge curiosity and interest in the idea of an underground network of living quarters (an underground city?) in the Grand Canyon. I hadn't really done a lot of reading on the topic, since much of the information I've seen goes back to a single article from the Arizona Gazette in 1909, relating fresh information from GE Kincaid who discovered a nearly inaccessible cave halfway up a 3200 foot cliff face. Link to that article...

So, this morning I was looking for further info on the subject and came upon a description of clues from that article that were used in conjunction with topographical maps, and knowledge of the general area of Arizona to come up with the most likely area of the Colorado river to have been the spot where GE Kincaid noticed "stains in the sedimentary formation" that led him to the cave entrance. That link here...

I further noticed that if I take a look at this area on Google Maps (Search for Kwagunt Rapids, and look specifically at the area 6 miles down river from that spot), it is one of the only stretches of the Colorado River that does not have a bunch of photos (at least...nothing looking east at the cliff walls.) Looking at it on Google Earth, if you activate 3D terrain, and actually move down into the canyon, it just looks like a bunch of low-rez stretched images (though knowing how the GE 3D terrain is created, this is no big surprise). An image search turns up plenty of "on the river" images taken by tourists in boats or by observers on the edges of cliffs, but most of those could hardly be pinned down to a specific location or direction.

So... is anyone aware of better images of this area, or resources for further investigation, or anything further on the cave? Has anyone actually gone there to look for this entrance? There is mention in the article about a breeze that blows through, indicating that there is another entrance. Is there anything about the other entrance being found? Thanks!

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I read that article also back a couple years ago and was intrigued.
Since I live about 90 miles from the Grand canyon the story really interested me.

Something else I always wondered about but couldn't find an answer is why so many of the area's and formations in the Canyon have Egyptian names? And what of the claims of Egyptian artifacts found there.

Places such as..... Isis Temple, Osiris temple, Tower of Set, Tower of Ra, Horus Temple

That creates a puzzle that is pretty cool.....and unexplained.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I have logged about 300 miles hiking the grand canyon. (Lived about 50 miles south for a few years) I've often thought about Kincade's claims while hiking. When you look up from the river, you can imagine caves almost everywhere you look.

There are certain areas of the canyon that are no fly zones but the areas that allow copters are probably pretty well explored. If I'm understanding the maps In your link, I believe the area indicated is not a legal fly zone.

There are a few companies that will take you down the river. If the area could be pinpointed it would not be hard to find out if one of these companies could/would beach within sight of these cliff walls. If you get get to this point, you could use a toy to explore the area.

I don't know the wireless range of remote control helicopters but flying one equipped with a camera along those cliff walls could be a good way to explore.

The few people in the park I've asked about it laugh it off as myth. But they would say that wouldn't they.
edit on 24-8-2012 by tanda7 because: spelling

s&f because I would love to know more about this also.
edit on 24-8-2012 by tanda7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwood
I read that article also back a couple years ago and was intrigued.
Since I live about 90 miles from the Grand canyon the story really interested me.

Something else I always wondered about but couldn't find an answer is why so many of the area's and formations in the Canyon have Egyptian names? And what of the claims of Egyptian artifacts found there.

Places such as..... Isis Temple, Osiris temple, Tower of Set, Tower of Ra, Horus Temple

That creates a puzzle that is pretty cool.....and unexplained.

I found this tidbid from "Arizona Place Names" by Will Barnes

"North side Colorado river in Toroweap valley about 6 miles southeast of Mount Emma. One of many fanciful names attached to places in canyon by members first U. S. Survey party which mapped it. They ran out of local names and fell back on Greek, Roman, and mythological names such as Wotans Throne, Zoroaster Temple, Krishna Temple, Holy Grail Peak, etc. There has been much criticism of them but after being on maps for over 50 years, the U.S.G.B. decided to retain them, which was doubtless wise. "Capt. Dutton started this naming of features after Orientals with Vishnu Temple, Shiva Temple, etc. He did not like Indian names, thought them ugly. I had several arguments with him on the subject as I objected violently lo Oriental and Egyptian nomenclature. I have continued to object ever since." Letter, Mr. Dellenbaugh, Feb. 14, 1933. The author agrees heartily with this eminent explorer and writer."

This puts the names about 30 years before the "discovery".

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
You might check out this thread, I think it's about the same area:

Egyptian Treasures in the Grand Canyon

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by tanda7

Yeah, I was curious about the Egyptian names too, but had never gone too far in finding their source.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CrikeyMagnet

According to one source, Clarence Dutton gave names to this cluster of formations.

It would really be interesting to know the original native names and their meanings. How interesting would it be if their names gave some indication that they were aware of something unusual.

edit on 24-8-2012 by tanda7 because: reword

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tanda7

Good idea on the helicopter thing. I think the range in consumer-level RC copters might not allow it... but it would be great to have a solar-powered copter with limited autonomous capabilities. Give it an area to explore, and set it free! (Come to think of it... I work in a company full of engineers. It shouldn't be too daunting a task to find one who wants to make such a thing.)

Pity that the Smithsonian doesn't acknowledge the existence of Mr. Kincaid. Maybe he's an anagram!!

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
You should read the free ebook that can be found at this link

and also the page at philipp coppen's website.

The Smithsonian is an Institution and not an Institute.
There was no Professor S.A. Jordan associated with the Smithsonian Institution. Not working in America. But there was indeed a Professor S.A. Jordon who was an European Archaeologist associated with the Smithsonian.
The only other mention of the so called GE Kincaid in any record is the same newspaper which in March 12 of the same year reported the adventures of G.E kincaid under the title "G.E kincaid reaches yuma" which indicates that Kincaid was from Lewiston, idaho.
The article describes an adventure of kincaid sailing down the grand canyon from green river, wyoming.

Most feel that there are no such persons like Kincaid or Jordan and both the articles were cooked up by an unknown journalist or the newspaper itself to increase circulation.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by CrikeyMagnet

I've met park employees who climb in the park during their days off. I got the impression they went pretty much where ever they wanted so it must not be too restricted. I would love to know if this area is off limits in anyway. If it is, I would probably be suspicious.

Here are the anagrams I come up with for Kincaid;
Acid Kin
Acid Ink
Aid Nick
A Nick Id
Cad I Kin
Cad I Ink
Can Kid I
Ad Nick I
An Dick I

So far I see nothing compelling but what do I know?

I can kid? as in just kidding?

Or if you use G E Kinciad;
A iced king!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by tanda7

Unless there were actually names to go with the initials, this dude may be tricky to track.

Maybe it's the Kincaid division of General Electric!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
They're modern names, and named by the mapmakers.

You can actually hike into the area (there's information somewhere on this board -- I linked it at least once) or take a trip down the river past it. There's no real need for peculiar equipment -- in fact, if you're a member of the Audubon Society, you can go on a working expedition "behind the scenes" at the Canyon (to help repair and maintain things) and you could get access to some of the areas that way.

The original story comes from a magazine that published fictional "tales of the old west."

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
You know I once heard a story of some man who found an underground cave system with a city of gold somewhere around Nevada. I really can't remember specifics, all i remember is that he supposedly found some strange cave entrance that led him to a city of gold in the mountains with Egyptian artifacts or some such thing. Interesting to sya the least.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Ive actually heard of cave systems in the Grand Canyon. I was watching some ufo show on the hisstory channel and theyre was some local or expert ir something saying there was. It went on to talk about some guy going hiking around the Grand Canyon area and some suits drove up and told him to turn around right now and then made some sort of passive agressive threat that i dont quite remember.

Yeah what ive said is all very vague but it could help. It went on into saying they couldve been MIB and the cave systems could have some secret base in them cause theyd be extensive enough.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
There are definitely cave systems in the Grand Canyon but the story from the early twentieth century is almost definitely a fake although I would love for it to be real.

(post by JosephLakeResearch removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

join