It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anders Behring Breivik Jailed For 21 Years

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Anders Behring Breivik Jailed For 21 Years

news.sky.com

Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik smirked in court as he was jailed for 21 years after a judge ruled he was "not insane".

Breivik has been declared sane and sentenced to prison for bomb and gun attacks that killed 77 people last year.

Reading the ruling, Judge Wenche Elisabeth Arntzen handed down a sentence of "preventive detention" of at least 10 years and a maximum of 21 years.

However, such sentences can be extended under Norwegian law as long as an inmate is considered dangerous.

(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
77 people killed.....21 years.

Not quite sure how to react to that, but i can see why Brievik was smiling as the sentence was passed.

If that were any other country, he would either be dead or would not see the light of day again. I understand that Norway and similar countries have an apparently more forward thinking system of justice, but 21 years with a minimum of 10? Really?

I just cling to that last part of my post above where it says they can extend the sentence if it's deemed the person is still a risk.

This is a kick in the teeth to the people that died and to their families too, if he only served 21 years he could be out in his 50's.

Any thoughts on this?

CX.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 24/8/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
This guy's trial should have been held in Texas, he would have received the death penalty the same day he was arrested.

CX

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Apologies....must have been writing this thread at the same time as another member.....beat me to it by a few minutes

Please could a mod delete this one..... heres the existing thread...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks.

CX.
edit on 24/8/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I'm amazed at such a short sentence.

or is that per-person?

I'm shocked that this man will be free within the lifetimes of the people he's affected.
edit on 24-8-2012 by Beavers because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Taking a life is unforgivable, let alone over 70 lives, but I don't think taking another life would solve anything. Life should be valued, regardless of circumstance.

So I can kind of agree with this sentence:

He essentially gets sentenced indefinitely, where every 21 years they'll see if the has changed his radical views. If not, he remains a danger to society and remains in prison. 21 years is a long time to change, he might be a completely different person then. If not 21 maybe 42... Perhaps it's just wishfull thinking that there's good in all of us, but I don't think anyone has the right to judge over someone else's life (as in, give them death sentence). Not Anders Breivik, not the judge judging him.

I don't believe in any religion in particular, nor do I believe in divine beings, but I do believe that "the universe", for lack of a better word, keeps score and karma is a real thing.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I think due to their own laws 21 is the most they can give but the extension clause should hopefully mean he never sees the light of day again.

Breivick killed 77 people and was caught red handed, admitted to being guilty and showed no remorse, their is an American- Ryan ferguson who was sentenced to 40 years for a murder there was absolutely no evidence he was even at the crime scene.
edit on 24-8-2012 by eyesdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by eyesdown
I think due to their own laws 21 is the most they can give but the extension clause should hopefully mean he never sees the light of day again.

Breivick killed 77 people and was caught red handed, admitted to being guilty and showed no remorse, their is an American- Ryan ferguson who was sentenced to 40 years for a murder there was absolutely no evidence he was even at the crime scene.
edit on 24-8-2012 by eyesdown because: (no reason given)

^^ This... he's not coming out in 21 years...

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Norway has one of the best prison systems in the world.

However if this was done in Canada, then they would have withheld charges and when he was released he would have been charged with yet another one of the murders.

By the way, its not punishment, but reformation that is needed. And keeping society safe from those who are insane and dangerously psychopathic.
edit on 24-8-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

The Norwegian penal system is based on rehabilitation, and guess what, it works ....

That is why there are so few repeated offenders in Norwegian jails. Less than 30% of inmates in Norwegian jails are in jail for a second, or more times. Compared that to the rest of the world.

“Comparisons with other countries are difficult due to differences in legislation and legal practice. However, in the US and the UK, for example, estimates that 60-80 per cent of all prisoners will end up in prison again in a couple of years are not uncommon.”

www.forskningsradet.no...

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Norway sentenced a guy called Varg Vikernes back in 1992 for 21 years (Norways maximum sentence) for burning down churches and killing one of his bandmates over a record deal. In the end, he served 25 years, but that's partly due to his mum trying to break him out.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

This is true, and as a Norwegian I wholeheartedly support this system. And in extreme cases as with Breivik, he will be up for review every five years after the initial sentence and be put in for five more if they find that he is a threat to society. Breivik has stated publicly that he will start plotting new terror attacks the second he is freed, so I don't think this is a problem.

The sentence he received today was 21 years of containment, not regular prison, with the earliest possible release in 10 years.

In any case; he probably won't walk free ever and that is a good thing!

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
The only bright side to this sentence is the fact that Norway reserves the right to keep people in prison even after they have served their sentence, if they feel he would endanger the public.
edit on 24-8-2012 by Doom and Gloom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Whats worse is that he wont suffer near or long enough,2 years max i'd say,inmates dont like famous child killers very much
edit on 24-8-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Hopefully this man never sees the light of day again.

Seeing him in the court video back when it came out, without remorse and almost portraying a light, joking personality, and now reading a 21 year sentence makes me feel as though the victims aren't getting anywhere near the respect they deserve. I understand that Norway has a different system, but even if he is rehabilitated and transformed over 20+ years, 77 people is crazy and he ruined his shot at life the day he committed those acts.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
This guy's trial should have been held in Texas, he would have received the death penalty the same day he was arrested.

LMAO. That isn't true at all.

You'd spend millions and million and millions of tax payer dollars, to hear every families story, sensationalize it on TV and would take years for it to get to court seeing how many people were involved.

His Jail cell:

edit on 24-8-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

That cell is nicer than my first bedsit I lived in. Had no idea the luxury/tidyness of the cells.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Taggart

Wow... what a crock of crap! I mean seriously.... Guys got everything in there... and it looks nice and comfy...

Did you notice the LCD TV?

Bull#&*%

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Guy kills an entire island of people....and gets 21 years? Where exactly does your conscious lie as those judges, knowing full well that by law, yes, maybe he isn't allowed a death sentence or life in prison, but knowing by the constraints of your job and the laws of your land, you MUST let this man see the streets again?

I KNOW 2 things.....#1. This guy is already planning his next hit 21 years down the road, which is going to be at least triple the damage of what he just did. #2. You have a better chance of seeing the Anti-Christ in full form in Norway than you do me after these next 21 years.
edit on 27-8-2012 by Dawnbreaker because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join