It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researcher creates most powerful MASER ever with spare parts

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Researcher creates most powerful MASER ever with spare parts

www.nbcnews.com

Oxborrow, a British researcher on a shoestring budget, has just turned all things maser upside-down with a device that not only works at room temperature and without a magnetic field, but creates a microwave beam that is far, far more powerful than even its creators expected.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.youtube.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Look Out, Spock! Pentagon Works on Real-Life Phasers
edit on 8/22/2012 by meticulous because: removed nonworking link

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Groundbreaking Scientific Discovery Could Soon Make Small Sci-Fi Weapons A Reality.

Get ready to set your phasers on liquefy because a British researcher
named Mark Oxborrow has just made an amazing discovery in the field of MASERS (Microwave Amplification by Stimulated Emission). This new discovery is 100million times more powerful than any created before and does not need to be super-cooled to operate. Yes, you read that correctly 100million times more powerful and it works at room temperature!

For those of you who do not know what MASERS are - they work similar to Lasers but use microwaves instead of light.

www.nbcnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Scientists are getting bolder and bolder. If they don't stop they could harm not only us but the whole planet. Just look at the creation of the dynamite. When it was created, it began being used for malicious purposes. Nothing good will come out of this.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by RimDaas

A glass is half full kind of guy?

In any case. This is very cool.
Pulsed maser rifles soon to come.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by RimDaas
Scientists are getting bolder and bolder. If they don't stop they could harm not only us but the whole planet. Just look at the creation of the dynamite. When it was created, it began being used for malicious purposes. Nothing good will come out of this.

Oh come on. Some good things will come out of it. Of course it will become a weapon but that's how tech works now a days. They get it and the public gets it afterwards.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by meticulous

Very cool.

If it can be done on a shoestring budget, and instructions for how to do it ever go open source, ahhh, well, expect all sorts of mischief to start happening as the more mischief-minded get up to some dangerous and possibly even deadly antics.

Imagine a sniper rifle with no bullet, zero concern for wind or weather, capable of exploding a melon (or anything else) just like a microwave would, at the touch of a button with a range of miles or more.

*pop* goes the weasel might be a popular song as the melons of the world's least favorite start exploding all over the globe.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Very cool.

If it can be done on a shoestring budget, and instructions for how to do it ever go open source, ahhh, well, expect all sorts of mischief to start happening as the more mischief-minded get up to some dangerous and possibly even deadly antics.

Imagine a sniper rifle with no bullet, zero concern for wind or weather, capable of exploding a melon (or anything else) just like a microwave would, at the touch of a button with a range of miles or more.

*pop* goes the weasel might be a popular song as the melons of the world's least favorite start exploding all over the globe.

His work and his diagrams can be found HERE and the "Figure 2: Anatomy of the maser" says it all.
edit on 8/22/2012 by meticulous because: fixed link

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
You won't be able to find trace nor anything about this story within a matter of weeks/days/hours. This will be swept up by the military and declared Crown Property or if he steps foot on US soil they'll claim it and hide it away.

s with the starlight material that absorbed heat and radiation and could be made in a kitchen, the ever lasting light bulb, highly efficient solar panels accidentally discovered when someone got the formulation wrong, and a host of other inventions, this one won't see the light of day until some poor sod is on the receiving end of some new super weapon.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Having seen what foil does in a microwave I am rethinking my choice of hats

edit on 8/22/2012 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

LoL - My thoughts exactly!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Ummm, I hate to be the one to be reasonable and rational but, if we follow your logic all of the way thru then we would have to agree that cars should never have been invented. Soon after they were publicly available they were used for all sorts of "malicious purposes". Running people over, drive by's,Bank robberies, etc.

Has dynamite ever been used for what you would deem "good purposes"?

This line of resoning is absurd at best and insane at worst.
Did you really sit down and think it all of the way thru?

I could fill an entire post with things that were invented that were then used for nefarious purposes but the list would be much shorter to list the things which haven't.
These same inventions have also been used to progress humanity and save lives.

Can you see the fallacy in your line of thinking or am I wasting my time?
edit on 22-8-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
one step closer to blaster pistols. bring it on! can't wait.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
this is a great find...and i have to agree that most of the info on it will more than likely disappear soon.
i was a bit disappointed in that i could not find a link that showed a 'working' demonstration.
i have OFTEN wondered how many other futuristic tools are actually in secretive use today or are in a prototype state....

good article.
thank you.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Inb4 scientist commits suicide with maser but not before destroying all his own files.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed

Ummm, I hate to be the one to be reasonable and rational but, if we follow your logic all of the way thru then we would have to agree that cars should never have been invented. Soon after they were publicly available they were used for all sorts of "malicious purposes". Running people over, drive by's,Bank robberies, etc.

This line of resoning is absurd at best and insane at worst.
Did you really sit down and think it all of the way thru?

I could fill an entire post with things that were invented that were then used for nefarious purposes but the list would be much shorter to list the things which haven't.
These same inventions have also been used to progress humanity and save lives.

Can you see the fallacy in your line of thinking or am I wasting my time?
edit on 22-8-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

This post is 100% correct because this device could potentially be used for things like: Cell Service, Long Range Wi-Fi Service, Wireless/Remote Power Transmission, Imaging Equipment in Hospitals, Long Range Ground & Space Based Communication Systems and that's just a few of the things!

edit on 8/22/2012 by meticulous because: typo

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Just a thought... if reality is stranger than fiction, well who knows, I thought I head from somewhere that the ideas and weapons and gagets on the original Star Trek were not the product of imagination. But rather of them being revealed to gene R by some secret source. Maybe as a way to fictionalize them, hide them even more, and make them seem like just product of a sci fi show.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Ummm, YES!

Blowing up tree stumps, clearing rockfalls, mining etc

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Marvin the Martian would be proud....

It brings him one step closer to making his "Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator" . This discovery should go a long way to helping him acheive that goal.

Back to the present interesting find.. While im not familiar with this part of science could this discovery have any application when it comes to room temprature fusion reators?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Do I need a permit to have a blaster?

Just curious.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
There is a poor man's EMP weapon.
I wonder what range it could do against NODs or thermals.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join