It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Easy Trick To Always Carry Duct Tape

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I saw this on Lifehacker.com the other day, and was reminded of this easy little trick. Take an old plastic card (obviously don't use a credit card or ID) and wrap duct tape around it. I use an old membership card from QFC. Wrap it tight around the card, then just stick it in your wallet. It's always nice to be able to tear off a piece of duct tape. Depending on your wallet load you can get a few feet of the stuff for minimal room.

If you're like me and you only carry a few cards in your wallet, this also snugs everything up so that cards don't easily slip out.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Yes, this is a good one.

Another one I use for my BOB is since I am carrying extra AA batteries anyway, I wrap duct tape around them several times for an easy non messy way to carry duct tape.

Ya just never know when you're gonna need it.
But when you do....nothing else will do.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I had a shoe disaster tonight in PHX, and I couldn't get away to buy another pair (or a roll of duct tape). This idea would have saved me a ton of trouble.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
of topic survival multi use thing a
The screw in hook to hang a bike from the ceiling
use it as a cork screw
hang hevy things wish
or a simple fastening screw
love the duct tape card awsome videos thay make at said site
edit on 22-8-2012 by jplaysguitar because: spelling

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Nice idea too. You really can just wrap the stuff around most anything and have a good supply without the roll. I was readig another thread where the guy was saying everything in his pack had at least a few different uses, smart.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Awesome and how slack of me!
I have this in my BOB, but I never thought to put a couple of feet in with my card bundle.
Guess what I'm doing right now!
Got me a few disposeable credit cards to use too!

S&F!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I don't post in this forum. But you all are missing a better product. Gaff tape. Look into it- It's more expensive, but as someone who has used it for over a decade and a half, I would argue it's worth every penny.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Thank you Domo! That is priceless...... So simple, I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it, but so useful..I could flag ya twice if it could be done. Really, thanks for sharing this!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

It's also a great idea to always carry a roll of duct tape in the trunk of your car. I always have duct tape, electrical tape, nylon rope and a tube of silicon caulk. I also keep a coffee can with a variety of screws, nails and washers.

At one time or another I've been glad to have them all. I also keep a few different sizes of tie wraps- I just used some to reattach my daughters front clip after she hit a big raccoon a few weeks ago. It held well until she could get it fixed properly.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Greatest find ever thanks man

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Does the glue melt and make a mess in the summer heat? That's why I only put the ends of rolls in the trunk---I have to throw them away by the end of season.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I bought a heap of it & wrapped it around everything I use for camping where it wont interfere, shovel handle, hammer handle etc also u can put a heap round your bag straps.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Good idea. Now if I had only had know about or tried the duct tape idea last week. I was standing with a client in front of press and the hemming in my pant cuff comes undone. If I had had some duct tape I could have darted off somewhere fixed the inside of the hem temporarily with the tape and been a lot more at ease not having to constantly wonder if I was looking like an ass on TV. lucky for me the cameras never panned below waist level and I am in the background mostly out of focus.

Oh well at least I am prepared for next time. Seriously duct tape could be one of the most important things to bring in a BOB. I'd consider finding a way to pack a whole roll or more.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I always kept a length of duct tape or 100 "mile an hour tape" as we called it wrapped around the end of every alcohol pen, pencil or pen I took with me to the field. That way I always had several places from which to use it 3-6 feet of 1" or 2" tape doesn't add a lot of weight or thickness to something you already have on you... It came in handy on numerous occasions for equipment repair, marking an exhibit or captured item or even taping the hands of a prisoner in before the days of wide spread zip-cuff use. Always good to have around.

I like the idea of an old card in the wallet though.

I have seen duct tape being sold now on a flattened small "roll" suitable for the front pocket of a shirt - which is likely similar in effect to what you described.

I think they were .99 at the local hardware place. I don't remember how long they were.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

If the tube hasn't been opened yet it's been okay, but once you've cut the end off the tube and used it it CAN be messy! I keep mine in a big ziplock bag so it don't get on the carpet in the trunk. The husband would freak out if I got it all icky!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Gorilla tape, or Duct tape?

Hmmmmm....

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Reply to post by randomtangentsrme

Ive used alot of stong industrial tapes but i've never used gaff tape. There are tons of different tapes that may work better for different occasions, according to the wiki link you supplied, gaff tape comes off clean, this would be usefull if you use the item you wrap the tape around. Though if your not annoyed by the sticky residue that duct tape leaves then gaff tape might not be ideal given that it costs 3 to 4 times more.

Until I've used I wont knock it though

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Tis a good idea.

I had been using a head up til now, but they 'tend to ooze a bit' after a while, and it won't fit in my wallet.

Switching to cards and batteries.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
This is a brilliant idea! I was wondering how to cut down on some of the bulk in my BOB without taking out the things I wanted in there and this is a great idea. I'm going to have to try to fit some in my bag too. I'm sure I can find a card I don't use anymore. S&F

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
Good idea. Now if I had only had know about or tried the duct tape idea last week. I was standing with a client in front of press and the hemming in my pant cuff comes undone. If I had had some duct tape I could have darted off somewhere fixed the inside of the hem temporarily with the tape and been a lot more at ease not having to constantly wonder if I was looking like an ass on TV.

For pant hem emergencies...there's always a stapler!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join