It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone's leaves turning early?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Definitely. My cherry trees are half naked and some of the white oaks are starting to shed some leaves as well.

I was just telling my husband it's going to be an early fall...the crows are already in huge flocks and raiding my bird feeders.

My impression is that the seasons have shifted by about six weeks early, with spring being very short overall.
edit on 8/21/2012 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
My Sister lives west of Chicago in Rockford, IL (that's where I am from) She told me last week it had been really cold after the record breaking heat wave, and the leaves were already changing. I would say that was around the 14th of August. In 36 years living back east I can't recall that happening so early....So wow...

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

i have noticed leaves falling here on the other side of the states but its still hot(weird) i think its going to be an early cold winter, although cold were im at isnt that cold i just hope its a a wet winter been way to dry for my taste.but as the Starks say;

edit on 21-8-2012 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
My oak trees are dropping leaves by the basketful. We are going to have to go out and start raking them up this weekend. What I do find odd is that they are all green and there are no acorns on the ground but they are still all up in the tree tops were they belong. Usually its the other way around.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Leaves in my part are getting burned up by too much sun and no rain. Dying and falling. Perhaps this is your confusion? Either way there's no early fall here.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by lostsock

We had a grove of Oak Trees, about 14 of them, huge, tall trees and if you grind up the leaves with a lawn mower instead of raking, it will fertilize your lawn so I'm told as long as you don't have acorns.

We had acorns but we would wait till the squirrel gathered them up. Grandpa had a huge rider lawn mower.

Oaks are majestic trees.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
In Dallas, we have been experiencing a cool front that is forecast to continue through this week, with a high in the 80 - 90F range later in the week. It has also been unseasonably wet --- today, we had a long, cool, soaking rain.

This type of weather is usually not seen in Dallas until late September. I've lived in the area for decades and have never seen or heard of a cool front this strong in the middle of August. Around here, the entire month of August is traditionally triple digits Farenheit every day with a slight chance of a pop-up thunderstorm. Normally, round about late September we start seeing sustained cool fronts with highs in the upper 80's. So, this that we're seeing this week is WAY early. We shouldn't be having a cool front like this for another month.

A mini-ice-age coming up? I don't know but it is strange, indeed.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Yes...its happening out here. But, not because of an early fall, but, because the drought is stripping moisture and oxygen from the leaves.

That's why its occurring here in Indiana...

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
The leaves on my trees started falling out back in June, but it was in the 100's and hadn't rained in 40 days here. The drought killed my cherry willow tree and pissed me off.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
It can also depend on the tyep of trees. Poplars usually start turning in August. However about three years ago I noticed the red leafed mpoles started turning in August as well.
edit on 22-8-2012 by missvicky because: typpos...typoos...typoss...

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I'm in North Carolina, and while I am not particularly observant to begin with, I haven't noticed a change in the leaves. I'll make a point to go on a nature walk today and see what I see. I did however, walk outside yesterday morning and think to myself "Fall is in the air". I know that feeling isn't exactly hard science, but you (or I, at least) can always feel fall in the air a few weeks before it actually hits. No psychic junk or anything, I think it's just a change in the thickness and temperature of it. It's usually so hot and humid here that the slightest change is easy to pick up on. Mosquitos have been a nightmare all summer, but the last few days they've not been quite as bad. Interesting thread, thanks op.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

My apple tree is starting to loose its leaves and also, the 2 oak trees, at the bottom of my garden, are turning and loosing leaves also

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
bugs vanished and leaves are turning early here in Europe... Leaves bizarrely started turning end of July/ 1st week August...

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I've been seeing the trees change since late July up here in Michigan. Every day for the past week I've seen and and heard the geese flying overhead. I've also seen many pine trees dead from the lack of water. I wouldn't be suprised if we have snow on the ground by October.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Actually this is the first time in a long time that they aren't turning here in NEPA
we have had plenty plenty of rain to keep them hanging on.
My front has about 10 river birch that early August the last couple of years are yellow and dropping their leaves.
a few maples in my back also.
This is the first year starting the middle of July out of
the last few years that I have had frogs in my pond and in the trees very loud at night along with crickets, but they just arrived maybe mid July.
First year for a few lightning bugs too they were here in mid June then gone as fast as they came.
I have been here for 8 years things change every year we had the month of July to enjoy our pool and thats it I can remember always taking our vacations back in the 90's in August and always going up north to the 1000 Islands we loved it there just to get a break from the heat still it was pretty warm, but not as hot as NJ was in August back in the 90's. The weather is different it's not as consistant as it used to be here in my neck of the woods.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Funny, I was just speaking to my sister this past weekend about this. My maple tree is dropping leaves like you wouldn't believe, and Geese are all over the place - they actually hold up traffic crossing the roads. I think since it was so warm in the spring and a very hot summer we are in for a very early and cold winter.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I think our strange weather hasn't stopped.

Lightening bugs just vanished one day in July .Usually I see stragglers through September.

Starting last week, trees are either just dropping leaves, or there are little dashes of red starting to show up, a month early.

I hoped an early, warm spring meant a nice long summer, but apparently it means an early fall as well.

I was wondering if anyone else has strange warning signs.

Not only weather, but the drought seems to be hard on the trees as well.

It's going to be a tough winter. The geese are heading back early. The trees started turning in June but believe that was because of the heat.

I'm also still running into fireflies when I ride my bike. They're still in Michigan. But the geese flying back early is getting to me. This means that fall is coming early, which means winter will, too.
edit on 1/7/12 by Avalessa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Nothing at all ever seems to happen here in England

edit on 22-8-2012 by lifesmagical because: because I made a mistake

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I also noticed that one of the trees by my front door has leaves
turning red in spots.It is also too cool for august.It is 70 outside
and it should be about 10 degrees warmer.
I guess we will have an early fall and I'm wondering what kind of
winter will we have?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
horse apples are already falling off the trees in N Texas.
The weather is so strange.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join