It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone's leaves turning early?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
There are trees turning early, but then the last few weeks have been very dry and warm. The temps have been high enough to bring heat stress to them, so that's not terribly unusual. As I was typing that, I looked out the window and noticed my driveway is now covered with fallen leaves......

Yeah, it's going to be a weird fall.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

What are the odds?

Strange huh

I've never in my 59 years ever heard loud thunder or lightening crash with a sunny sky.

It was eerie to say the least.

Yeah that is weird. Makes me think of the sky sounds, although I'm sure that 99% of the youtube vids were hoaxes. I still believe that many people have heard strange, out of place sounds coming from the sky. Or maybe somewhere else but you know what I mean.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demoncreeper
Northern B.C., leaves on poplar trees were changing 2 weeks ago. In central, getting the odd cottonwood starting to change...but also LOTS of drying out dead trees. My apple tree, (Which I didn't prune this year) Started drying out. There is fruit, but the leaves are dying and brown. Lots of this happening. Can take a pic if interested.

Yes, show us a pic! Why the hell not? The more these unusual events are documented, the better. It might not be anything of major concern in the long run but I'm a firm believer in documenting anything you find unusual.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
my cherryxwillow hybrid tree leaves are starting turn, although cherry's do blossom early, so i figure they shed early too.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

That really is a nice tree especially when they are old, they look so enchanting

Nothing unusual in land of Oz, my fruit trees & grape veins are just starting to open new leafs for spring & are all acting normal.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
If it makes any sense, the leaves here in Alaska started their turn....some are even falling. That shouldn't happen for at least another few weeks.

Then again, this really hasn't been summer here...its more like fall.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I am glad you tree survived!

2nd
edit on 21-8-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I think our strange weather hasn't stopped.

Lightening bugs just vanished one day in July .Usually I see stragglers through September.

Starting last week, trees are either just dropping leaves, or there are little dashes of red starting to show up, a month early.

I hoped an early, warm spring meant a nice long summer, but apparently it means an early fall as well.

I was wondering if anyone else has strange warning signs.

Not only weather, but the drought seems to be hard on the trees as well.

Here in West Central Lower Michigan, some of the Maples starting turning about a week ago. Also last week the salmon were beginning to "stage" (gather) at the river mouths in Lake Michigan (something they do before spawning). I've noticed the fire flies, which were numerous in July are all but gone now as well. We were in mild drought conditions over the summer, only two or three really dry weeks.

I don't know what to make of it, except that things seem to be happening a month or more early.
edit on 21-8-2012 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added to last line.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Northern Michigan here, yup are leaves are turning early. And its strangely cold outside. People have been getting out sweaters and coats. Usually we go swimming until September, but not this year.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I live in northern Maine and have seen some maples turning, a couple of them were at least 50% changed. I also noticed there are more flies coming in the house and around the house too. Usually they come around looking for a place to spend the winter when it starts getting cold at night, but it hasn't really been cold yet.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Highlands of Scotland here, and last week there was a bout of wintery stormy weather, and a whole bunch of leaves started coming off the trees.

Worst summer in living memory here, cold and wet. Not surprised the trees are giving up.

Crops failing all over the place. A soft fruit farmer just down the road has lost something like 3 million pounds worth of strawberries this summer.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
NOTICED THAT LAST WEEK , MAPLE AND BIRTCH trees, in moncton , nb , canada!

one love!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
It may not be that the leaves are turning but that the Drought that many of us across North America have experienced has actually forced the leaves to go into/start up hibernation mode.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by misfitofscience

ps: The leaves usually start to change color naturally within the next month.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Yes, our leaves have been dropping for a good two to three weeks now. I'm not sure if it's because we've been so dry or what is causing it. I've had to rake the yard twice already. Ants have been showing up all Summer long in search of water i'm assuming.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by misfitofscience

I had that thought too, which is why I started this thread to see if it is stress or an early change.

Now, my area has only started a drought watch, is certainly not like others, but you can see a stressed tree or two. Some oare just giving up as another poster said.

But as I hiked all around the park, some are definetly turning, this is the, the one branch turning red that you see at the beginning of the fall season. I always watch this every year intently, I love fall, but I hate the end of summer, so the turning has me depressed, and now this has me really depressed. Pool season wasn't opened early with teh season. :/

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by fuzzy0087

Considering that we had one of the hottest July's on record, I thought the difference is what is making me think it was chillier. But I remember August being a hot month too, though lately it has felt like fall.

But teh meterologists haven't said it has been unusual.

But they were saying today that the jet stream is still at an unusal location, and doesn't look like it is moving. So that may have something to do with all this.

Climate kind of reels across the US then the Atlantic messes with it and then sends it to the UK.

Sorry about that!

But central Africa sends us the hurricanes. It is funny how this planet affects everybody.

If weather gets torbid in central Africa, they know a low and a potential tropical storm might form in the Altantic.

Then in the winter, we can blame Canada for everything on the east coast.

edit on 21-8-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Years ago we had such a bad drought that they had to put on water restrictions. Only being in my early 20s, I worked local government at teh time and couldn't figure out why homeowners were freaking out about watering landscaping.

So no filling pools but there was a landscaping exception.

Just seeing the cost of gardening, and then trees and shrubs I would like to buy, and the cost, I definetly see the reason for the freakouts now. lol

That tree will be an asset to your property. When this area was developing at a crazy rate, it was mostly farmland and you would see this house with a spindly little maple in front of it.

You would occassionaly see a large oak or something being trucked in (yes that is insanely expensive, probably can get an inground pool for the price) to make the neighborhood lived in.

The neighborhood I live in now has 100 ft., 200 year old oaks. Such a different to have a quality, established tree in the neighborhood. Changes the whole feel.

though all the oaks are dying of age, and with the hurricanes and bad weather, has everyone nervously looking at these massive oaks. We have lost about 5 in the past decade, and the fact that a house hasn't been demolished is a miracle. One in the backyard of the property I rent, went during Irene, miraculously, it only took out a neighbor's porch. The stump is still here and it is the size of a car.

Good choice on the redwood!!

A relative of a boyfriend had one, though they only get about 50 ft. in this area, it was still beutiful.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Yep...but lack of water does that...not to mention over a week of 110+. :/

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
If people want to take pictures and document their trouble spots, I think that would be interesting.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join