It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Mosquito bites worst ever in UK?

page: 1
3

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Well it seems like it to me!

This year has been the worst by far for me, I'm getting bites that swell up like a balloon and last over a week!

I had a look on the net and only found this www.express.co.uk...

I frigging HATE these little b@stards Grrrrrrrr!!!
:mad

If anyone else is suffering, I found that this offers some relief (obviously along with NO scratching)



Rant over




posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I'm down south. Havent seen a mozzy for several years now.

Very few insects survive the agrochems that are being sprayed. We dont even get the layer of squished bugs on the windscreen anymore.



posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
YES!! We're infested!! Me and eveyone I know are covered in dozens of bites!

2 made my wrist swell last week


ETA: Just got your inbox ViodHawk, cheers for that

edit on 21-8-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Yep, it's bad this year. First inkling I got was seeing one the size of a small helicopter on my mothers draining board. Since then Mr Suspiria has been bitten to death, they don't like the taste of me for some reason. Still if we have anymore of this wet/hot rubbish I'm sorely tempted to install Mossie nets in the bedrooms. I keep going out in the garden to make sure I've got no stagnant still rainwater, but you can't guarantee if other folks aren't helping them breed en mass can you?.

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 21-8-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
I'm down south. Havent seen a mozzy for several years now.

Very few insects survive the agrochems that are being sprayed. We dont even get the layer of squished bugs on the windscreen anymore.


I'm Jealous! I'm on the coast too, I suppose having the river Stour half a mile away doesn't help though



posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
YES!! We're infested!! Me and eveyone I know are covered in dozens of bites!

2 made my wrist swell last week


ETA: Just got your inbox ViodHawk, cheers for that

edit on 21-8-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)


Yep, I'm feeling ya Sinny. That Savalon stuff has been my savior. The only thing is, I forgot I had it until yesterday! lol Epic fail



posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
Yep, it's bad this year. First inkling I got was seeing one the size of a small helicopter on my mothers draining board. Since then Mr Suspiria has been bitten to death, they don't like the taste of me for some reason. Still if we have anymore of this wet/hot rubbish I'm sorely tempted to install Mossie nets in the bedrooms. I keep going out in the garden to make sure I've got no stagnant still rainwater, but you can't guarantee if other folks aren't helping them breed en mass can you?.

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 21-8-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)


Thanks for the link, and I agree! They even 'look' like the ones that cause malaria in other countries - Nasty looking things!



posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Get some citronella candles and incense for around the house and garden, they don't like it so much.
The one thing I can't agree on in that BBC article I posted is covering yourself if you are out and about will deter them. The vicious swines do impale you through clothing. The proboscis on some I've seen are like upholstery needles!.
edit on 21-8-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I live in Scotland and the problem was always midges (very minature mosquito family) but recently these have given way to some freaky large mosquitos. They eat you alive every time you go into the woods. It must be the very warm wet weather we are having.

So back the OP, yes worst ever this year (well in the Blantyre area around the River Calder)



posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by yorkshirelad
I live in Scotland and the problem was always midges (very minature mosquito family) but recently these have given way to some freaky large mosquitos. They eat you alive every time you go into the woods. It must be the very warm wet weather we are having.

So back the OP, yes worst ever this year (well in the Blantyre area around the River Calder)


Yes I haven't really seen any midges this year, but like you say they are bigger now, like the nasty African looking ones!



posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I can confirm that down in the south west (Gloucestershire) is crawling with them!
I hate them!!! these bites were from 2 days ago, and have gone down considerably since.
Definitely the worst that i have experienced over the years. (I am 26)




posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
no mozzies or midges here in gods country. if some of you folk down south are getting bitten, i hear the mozzies only like bad blood.

get some smoke on if youre in the garden or out n about. they don't like it, especially the citronella stuff - smells nice too.



posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by OpenEars123
 


They are quite bad this year.

However, on a serious note, i would say nowhere near the worst ever. Think about it, only a few hundred years ago we were still an island covered in forests and swampy / marshy land (pre industrial revolution). Would have been bloody horrible then, a bit like being a walking buffet for all the insects.........



posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I'm in the Devon where it's too windy for mozzies!! Yay!!
But i did live in London for a while and that was hell for mozzies. Lived in a new build on the south east marshes. I had to put up a mozzie net! absolute nightmare!!



new topics

top topics



 
3

log in

join