It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Christians like atheists?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
except for those who have been saved, have a deep spiritual experience and have tasted forgiveness, then despite that, they then turn irreconcilably away

Would you like this "doomed" person?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by gentledissident

I remember one time a person making a public service announcement for atheism. He himself was an atheist and had trouble finding anyone to do this with him. He asked me, and knowing he could not find anyone else, I agreed to do it on the basis he allowed me to say "they" instead of "we". He said OK and made the public service announcement.

Am I a Christian? Absolutely I am, but this was done to voice my opinion that as we are allowed to have freedom of speech and freedom of religious expression as guaranteed in our Constitution. Did he respect my Christianity? Yes he did and I had to respect him as a human being with the right to freedom of speech. Did it make me less Christian? No, and others who saw this realized that I was not saying "we". He was merely making a political statement and not an anti-religious one. If it had been anti-religious, I would not have done it.

The rest of his life he will remember one Christian who respected his right of freedom of speech.
edit on 8/21/2012 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
They say they do, but the principles they follow contradict such a notion. They follow a book that condemns those that do not believe, so how can they fully show love to a non-believer? If they follow a book that says that those who do not believe are agents of satan, how can they fully love them? They are to destroy Satan. Stomp on the devil, rebuke him and all these things. If they are to rebuke the devil, and these non-believers are agents of the devil, how can they not express the same indignation towards the agents?

There is no gray with Christians, and they know this. They like to pretend there is a gray area but that is only a ploy to get non-believers or men weakened in the mind to convert, then they indoctrinate them with their black and white mentality. Their separatist mentality. It's us, or them. God, or Satan.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q2IN2Y
They say they do, but the principles they follow contradict such a notion. They follow a book that condemns those that do not believe, so how can they fully show love to a non-believer? If they follow a book that says that those who do not believe are agents of satan, how can they fully love them? They are to destroy Satan. Stomp on the devil, rebuke him and all these things. If they are to rebuke the devil, and these non-believers are agents of the devil, how can they not express the same indignation towards the agents?

There is no gray with Christians, and they know this. They like to pretend there is a gray area but that is only a ploy to get non-believers or men weakened in the mind to convert, then they indoctrinate them with their black and white mentality. Their separatist mentality. It's us, or them. God, or Satan.

Are you saying I am a liar and a hypocrite? This is propaganda disinformation and you know it.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

I'm not an atheist though. I don't subscribe to any religion either. This is not disinformation, this is what I've been exposed to since birth.

If you ask me, what Christians need to do is remake the bible. Make it the same size, with the same amount of pages.. but on every page just have the commandment:

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

That would save a lot of time, and money, on the part of the believers... because these churches will suck you dry with their requests of 100 dollar seeds, and 500 dollar seeds, and 50 dollar seeds.

And they think they are so slick when they do so. They play the nice reassuring music, and they utter these vague statements that can be applied to anyone. These speakers have mastered the art of manipulation; which infact, according to your belief is the work of the devil.

Very ironic, wouldn't you say?

Rant off, I apologize.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I think this fits well here IMO....

I don't hate atheists at all. Nobody should. The only time I get offended is when an atheist insinuates that I am stupid, gullible, childish, fantastical, etc. etc. for believing in God and Jesus. I don't do that to them and I always appreciate them not doing it to me.

There are folks on both sides that act like idiots about it though. It's almost like (again both sides) they just TRY to stir the pot and create discord.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q2IN2Y
reply to post by WarminIndy

I'm not an atheist though. I don't subscribe to any religion either. This is not disinformation, this is what I've been exposed to since birth.

If you ask me, what Christians need to do is remake the bible. Make it the same size, with the same amount of pages.. but on every page just have the commandment:

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

That would save a lot of time, and money, on the part of the believers... because these churches will suck you dry with their requests of 100 dollar seeds, and 500 dollar seeds, and 50 dollar seeds.

And they think they are so slick when they do so. They play the nice reassuring music, and they utter these vague statements that can be applied to anyone. These speakers have mastered the art of manipulation; which infact, according to your belief is the work of the devil.

Very ironic, wouldn't you say?

Rant off, I apologize.

So don't give money if you don't want to. Nobody is forcing any Christian to give money at all. So what about Christian charity organizations like Samaritan's Purse? Franklin Graham is sure wasting his time if he believed all you ranted about.

I give charity money, like Charitywater.org and Oxfam. I also give money to local charities, why? Because it is part of loving. Ironic, isn't it?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by gentledissident
How do you Christians feel about atheists?

Final analysis? I feel sorry for them.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mojo2012

Not as sorry as we feel for you. It's like watching a cockroach with no feelers trying to find food...

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe

The only time I get offended is when an atheist insinuates that I am stupid, gullible, childish, fantastical, etc. etc. for believing in God and Jesus. I don't do that to them and I always appreciate them not doing it to me.

You'll come across atheists who believe stupid, childish, ridiculous fantasies that are just as silly (alien DNA tampering etc).

If you say something stupid, you should be prepared to be ridiculed about it.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Prezbo369

At least we can prove our theories are possible. UFO sightings, UFO encounters, blatant government cover-ups, genetic engineering, crop circles, mutations, all of these things are documented and supported with varying degrees of empirical evidence.

All you have is a bucket of sand, and a book promising you that if you bury your head in it, and convince other people to do the same, everyone will be okay.
edit on 21-8-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to [url= by Prezbo369[/url]

At least we can prove our theories are possible. UFO sightings, UFO encounters, blatant government cover-ups, genetic engineering, crop circles, mutations, all of these things are documented and supported with varying degrees of empirical evidence.

Oh for sure, all of those things do exist, but if we insert the word 'alien' before each 'theory', they turn to asswater.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prezbo369

You'll come across atheists who believe stupid, childish, ridiculous fantasies that are just as silly (alien DNA tampering etc).

Why is that stupid?

There were solar systems formed long before our own. Its quite logical to think there may be beings far more evolved then us.

Then look at human man - - - and how he scientifically uses lower form animals in experiments - - including DNA tampering.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
reply to post by Awen24

"Eww Catholics"?!?

Meaning behind that?

I'd love to see you say that to my family.

It was a joke. A play on the "do Christians like atheists" question.
That's why I followed it up with "seriously though..."

:p

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by gentledissident

Originally posted by chr0naut
except for those who have been saved, have a deep spiritual experience and have tasted forgiveness, then despite that, they then turn irreconcilably away

Would you like this "doomed" person?

Yes, but I'd be confused by their motivation.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
In reading the responses in this thread I am reminded of why I do not belong to an organized religion and only rarely defend atheists.

Hostility. I can't take the hate from both sides of the aisle.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Why is that stupid?

There were solar systems formed long before our own. Its quite logical to think there may be beings far more evolved then us.

Then look at human man - - - and how he scientifically uses lower form animals in experiments - - including DNA tampering.

If you mean extraterrestrial beings that might be more intelligent than us, sure why not the universe has been around a long long time like you say.

But the idea that they have visited us like silent, stealthy space ninjas across thousands if not millions of light-years...........to run experiments on a few hairless monkey-men, is stupid.

Ofc this is ignoring the fact that we have absolutely no reason whatsoever to even suspect this has ever occurred.

edit on 21-8-2012 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
I think this fits well here IMO....

I don't hate atheists at all. Nobody should. The only time I get offended is when an atheist insinuates that I am stupid, gullible, childish, fantastical, etc. etc. for believing in God and Jesus. I don't do that to them and I always appreciate them not doing it to me.

There are folks on both sides that act like idiots about it though. It's almost like (again both sides) they just TRY to stir the pot and create discord.

hey, I didn't know you were a Christian kangaroo.

I have to agree on this point... up to a point, at least. I understand that people aren't going to always agree with, or even be willing to discuss, what I believe. That's okay. But it does make me grumpy when people suggest that I'm unintelligent because I believe in the Bible. Part of that is my own pride, because I'd like to think that I'm pretty intelligent (although let's be honest, Patrick on spongebob is hilarious. Is that off-topic? I don't know, but it seems relevant somehow), and part of that is because I'm very well read when it comes to the Bible, and the history that it details. Ultimately in my life (up to this point) I've found that at every turn, the Bible is always vindicated. So often, so many times, people have claimed that Scripture was wrong.

For example, "The historical figures mentioned in the early chapters of Luke's gospel didn't exist" used to be a common criticism; that is, until archaeologists discovered evidence that proved Luke's gospel to be completely accurate. This is one very minor example; history and archaeology are full of examples like this. The great thing is that Scripture even proves the CHURCH wrong. For hundreds of years, both "science" and the church taught that the world was flat. Scripture, though, in its oldest book, records that "the earth hangs like an orb, suspended above nothing" (this is around 3000BC); Isaiah also refers to "the sphere of the earth" (Isaiah 40).

I think many of the problems and issues that the church faces today aren't because they adhere to Scripture, but rather, because they've moved away from it. If we look at a recent example from the US, where a black couple were denied the ability to get married in their own church, simply because they were black...

is this justified?

Nowhere in Scripture is there any justification or basis for discrimination on race. Quite the opposite. Eve is described in Genesis as "the mother of all living"; Psalm says that each of us is "knit together in our mother's womb... fearfully and wonderfully made" by the hand of God... and so on.

If the church spent more time in God's Word, more time learning about Him, His character, and what He wants from us, ("He has shown you what is good. What does the Lord require of you? Act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God." - "love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind, and love your neighbour as you love yourself."), the less questions like this would have to be asked.

A better question would be, "does God love atheists?".
The answer, as always, is an unequivocal "YES." - and as Jesus Himself said, "now go, and do likewise."

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

My apologies!

When I use "Eww" Its in disgust aha.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

But the idea that they have visited us like silent, stealthy space ninjas across thousands if not millions of light-years...........to run experiments on a few hairless monkey-men, is stupid.

Why is it stupid?

Take the rainforest. Very inhospitable to modern man. Yet we plan extensive research trips to go there.

Everyone that goes has their own agenda.

Some want only to observe unknown tribes. Some want to exploit them. Some want to bring them modern medicine. Some want to teach them about God. Some want to learn about medicinal plants. Etc etc etc.

I find the idea of only one "off planet" society - - with only one purpose - - pretty ridiculous.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join