It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Christians like atheists?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I’ve been harassed a bit for being and atheist. The weirdest time was when I was shoved thorough a porch railing by a member of a Christian fraternity whom I was chatting and drinking with. The last straw was when I stood up for women’s rights. He came toward me while I was on the railing which was on ground. The other frat members came up beside him. I thought they were coming to take him away. They came to tell me to leave and not come back.

How do you Christians feel about atheists? I ask about Christians, as they are easily the majority. How do the rest of you believers feel about atheists?
edit on 20-8-2012 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by gentledissident

I honestly couldn't care less about what a person calls themselves or chooses to believe as compared to how a person carries themselves and interacts with others.

All too often I see those who disbelieve in Christ or claim no allegiance with him acting more as he taught than those who wrap themselves in the flag and carry their cross for all to see.

Well met, friend - and I'm sorry for the negative experiences. There are people who are some things in name only - remember that, and don't let them dirty the rest of us by association, please.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Christians like a sense of control. It doesn't matter if they're right.

Also, because everything we believe in is going to s**t, they want something that can only go to s**t if you prove it wrong. Which, in terms of faith, is almost impossible.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
aha no not really!

Catholics have more tolerance for us! lol

I got collard by a bible bashing, rapture believing, gospel Christian a week n half ago, she told me I was doomed and there was no saving me

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I don't have a problem with Atheists- so long as they're not being mean. My oldest kid is an Atheist. We agree to disagree and are respectful of each other's beliefs.

Apparently the frat guys were just jerks. There are jerks in all camps- Atheist and Christian alike. Just try not to judge all people of a group by the actions of a few.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

The definition of "fraternity", in my book, is the belief that you are a brotherhood, different from everyone else, and should make it clear. And since no one wants to underline their difference by being quiescent, they decide to knock a few teeth out.
edit on 20-8-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by littled16

The definition of "fraternity", in my book, is the belief that you are a brotherhood, different from everyone else, and should make it clear. And since no one wants to underline their difference by being quiescent, they decide to knock a few teeth out.
edit on 20-8-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

People behaving as those guys did are in my book the same as a gang of thugs. Gangs of thugs exist in all branches of society, regardless of religious belief, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, etc. Some people just never outgrow the "Mean Girl" mentality of belittling or abusing people that they feel are inferior to them in an effort to make themselves feel more powerful or to feel like they have more self-worth. It's just out and out bullying- and there are bullies in any and every group of people you can come up with.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
My 11 year old daughter has started to experience harassment. She was confronted by a classmate who asked what church she went to. My daughter told her that she doesn't go to church and that she's not a believer in any god. This girl now publicly tells my daughter in a menacing way that she is going to Hell whenever she sees her. I hope you Christians are making sure your kids aren't into this game.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
aha no not really!

Catholics have more tolerance for us! lol

I got collard by a bible bashing, rapture believing, gospel Christian a week n half ago, she told me I was doomed and there was no saving me

She was wrong. You are doomed, but there is still time to be saved... as long as you're breathing.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
People behaving as those guys did are in my book the same as a gang of thugs. Gangs of thugs exist in all branches of society, regardless of religious belief, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, etc. Some people just never outgrow the "Mean Girl" mentality of belittling or abusing people that they feel are inferior to them in an effort to make themselves feel more powerful or to feel like they have more self-worth. It's just out and out bullying- and there are bullies in any and every group of people you can come up with.

Wow, we posted about the same thing at the same time.

I told my daughter that the girl is just trying to gain control over her.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
We all start out atheist. Yes.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by gentledissident

Wow, we posted about the same thing at the same time.

I told my daughter that the girl is just trying to gain control over her.

If I were you I would request a conference in the school principal's office with the harassing girl's parents. There are rules about harassment and bullying that need to be addressed. The parents may have no idea that their child is bullying at school. But if they are aware maybe you should remind them of how Jesus taught us to judge not- lest we be judged.

I don't believe that most Christians teach their children to act like that, but there will always be some who do. I hope your daughter learns to ignore the "Mean Girls" of the world, but I promise you if it wasn't this it would be something else. I raised two daughters (both in their 20s now) and trust me- it gets much worse! Something happens to these kids when they hit 4th or 5th grade that turns some of them into little "demons" and they live to torture the other kids they deem "uncool". I feel for you and your daughter!

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

I have to admit that it really bothers me that you think we're all idiots who need a crutch because we're afraid of death. As if that sums up the Christian experience!

The atheist assumes much to much about what they presume to know with certainty, when some of us are attempting, with great courage, to explore the ineffible mystery of God's love, and yes I can appreciate the irony here of the degree to which the atheist's stance really peeves me off!

And there's this arrogant smugness you seem to have, which just isn't all that lovable to be honest.

Therefore, the only way to take it is as a test, to help tear down my ego in order to equip me even moreso, to love, even in the face of vitriolic antagonism and intollerance, so thank you for that, just so long as you don't assume that you're right and I'm wrong ie: that you won..

Me I'm all for what I call a participatory eschatology, which actually involves turning to the last page of the Bible, closing the book and then getting on with the business of living life to the full as a child of God, so you ought to appreciate my work moreso than you do.

What the atheist leaves us with, at the end of the day, or what they would if given the opportunity, is to set us adrift on the ocean of time and history without a strong rudder or a powerful lighthouse.

Me I prefer the idea that the creation is like a house of God, and we, as adopted children, have come into an inheritance prepared for us from the time before time, as a fount of everlasting inspiration.

In my worldview, it's an end with a bright new beginning, not more of the status quo without any frame of reference.. except a "secular humanism" amid competing "rational self interests".. (sure to fail in times of moral and other crisis)

Would atheists dance around a book burning of ancient wisdom literature, just to be RIGHT? That's my question to you.

with love (somewhat begrudgingly),

NAM

edit on 20-8-2012 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

If I were you I would request a conference in the school principal's office with the harassing girl's parents. There are rules about harassment and bullying that need to be addressed. The parents may have no idea that their child is bullying at school. But if they are aware maybe you should remind them of how Jesus taught us to judge not- lest we be judged.

I just told my daughter to speak to a teacher next time. She thinks a conference would be a good idea. When I was in school, I was expected to take the harassment.

We were lying on the floor the other night going over the reasons for the existence of religion when she brought up the girl. I told her that if there were a God, that's the kind of person he would send to Hell. She laughed.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

I'm kind of confused. I wouldn't burn a book nor dance around it. I don't think humanity is close to wise. I think the right instructions are out there, but I can't think of a religion that gets it right.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

The archeology has shown that ancient Biblical history is pretty accurate, the only freaky part being that God in some form or another and through "touched" prophets (I might even be a modern day variant for all I know) started messing around in human history to bring about a Great Work imbedded by design into the very structure of time and space as it relates to our solar system. It's trippy, when you really think about it, about God working collaboratively with man to create a prophetic framework by which he himself would step onto the scene (at just the right time) to right all wrongs and reconcile us to himself as part of a new creation. Sadly, no one seems to "get it" though, neither atheists nor believers, but there's nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come, and we are STARTING to get it, starting to understand, and the one Bible remains the same book, so maybe it's time to crack it open again and more fully "grok" it's contents before writing the whole thing off as a bunch of manmade fairytales, with extreme contempt, prior to investigation, a surefire way to keep a person in everlasting ignorance, that is if there are great truths to be illuminated therein, which there are, big time, although you might have to "divide the word rightly" or sift it in recognition of the various means by which it is written (while perhaps recognizing the integrty of the entire prophetic framework).

Who cares what any particular demonination has to say about it - look into it for yourself. Try the 23rd Psalms for example - is there not always a true and authentic leadership needed, along with an attachment to an outcome from what was, to what is and what ought to be (girded on each side by karmic cause, and effect)? Is there not a release from duality, and from the impulse to sin or to collapse in a loss of integrity before we're even half way to our desired destination? Might God not even have a sense of humor that can be discerned?

I think the atheist, by labelling himself as such, is closing himself off to a whole domain of potential knowledge and understanding, all based on one assumption, and it's quite the gambit at that if you were a gambling person don't'cha think? God or no God - I'll take God I'm all in!
And if you understood it, the Christian frame of reference, fully and completely, then you'd see how I've just won the lottery, and how gracious I am to come back to you with winning tickets in hand, but you don't want it! That's the funny part. It's too good to be true, and how can anyone accept a free gift of incalculable value for which there is absolutely nothing they can do to either earn or deserve it?! (starting to get the humor of God yet..?)

edit on 20-8-2012 by NewAgeMan because: edited

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

I've been an atheist.
I still remember how it felt, and why I felt that way, so no, I don't feel any hostility towards people who are still atheists.

edit on 20-8-2012 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI

I've been an atheist.
I still remember how it felt, and why I felt that way, so no, I don't feel any hostility towards people who are still atheists.

If you don't mind me asking, why had you not accepted the god concept as literal?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

I’ve been harassed a bit for being and atheist. The weirdest time was when I was shoved thorough a porch railing by a member of a Christian fraternity whom I was chatting and drinking with. The last straw was when I stood up for women’s rights. He came toward me while I was on the railing which was on ground. The other frat members came up beside him. I thought they were coming to take him away. They came to tell me to leave and not come back.

How do you Christians feel about atheists? I ask about Christians, as they are easily the majority. How do the rest of you believers feel about atheists?

Why was the Christian drinking? That is not a Christian anyway, that is someone in disguise. No, we are not the majority. And I, as a Christian, cannot say I dislike anyone who is an atheist, I just think they have not come to the same understanding as I do yet.

Actually, Christians are not majority, that is a misperception. True Christianity is not really that many, the others perceived to be Christian are just in name only. Those guys who did that are not Christian. A true Christian is someone who practices what they believe. Christianity means more than just being a follower of Christ, it means we are doers of the word and not hearers only. Doing means loving your neighbor, even if you do disagree with them.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

reply to post by NewAgeMan

I'm kind of confused. I wouldn't burn a book nor dance around it. I don't think humanity is close to wise. I think the right instructions are out there, but I can't think of a religion that gets it right.

It's not the religion, it is the people who fail at their professed religion. My advice would be to stop looking at what people profess and look for what people possess. If they walk contrary to their religion, then they are not what they say they are.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join