It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Marine Brandon Raub Sentenced To Up To 30 Days In Psych Ward Over Facebook Posts

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt

Originally posted by thomas_

Everyone that holds a weapon wants to feel powerful, in control, unbeatable, etc and is to some degree, violent.

This is the most absurd thing that I have read, today!

I was with you, until you started generalizing about things that you obviously, have no idea about...

It's about being able to combat evil when it is brought to your door! You don't run into a burning building with a handful of dirt...You wouldn't charge into battle, armed with naught but a sharp tongue...And you can't defend your home and loved ones with the cop that's only 15 minutes away...

Contrary to the the current global political climate, some wars in history were simply one army trying to defend itself and it's country from the tyranny of another. Were those who were successful in repelling such advances, simply wanting "to feel powerful, in control, unbeatable, etc and is to some degree, violent?"
edit on 8/21/2012 by GoOfYFoOt because: added text

In broad terms and common sense appart, good and evil are a matter of perspective. Each war, conflict, dispute has two sides and since these often happen when both sides can't agree or allow something from the other, each one of the these sides will always see them selves as being "good" and the other one as being "bad".

But just to clarify, I wasn't generalizing in the sense you obviously understood and I do understand your point. I also understand that porting firearms is a constitutional right in America and has further political and cultural implications. Touchy subject for most for a good reason. Also even though I'm all for a world free of firearms and weapons in general I know it's an utopia, so I'm not supporting any causes here.

All I was saying is that the idea of having a firearm in it self already contains violence in some shape or form. One might buy a gun to feel the power of having another one destiny in it's fingers, planing to use it, while other might buy the same gun to have the capacity, power to defend him self or his loved ones. Or simply to defend his interests without the intention of using it. Either way this is the result of violence.

A bit of chicken, egg dilema if you ask me. But one thing for me is certain. Nobody willing or not to use a firearm, buys one denying the idea that eventually they might have to use it and shoot to kill.

Regarding the "sharp tongue" into battle I have to disagree, tough. Politicians, dictators and terrorist leaders do that all the time and they don't even have to personally "charge into battle". All they need to do is use their "sharp tongue" to incite patriotism or certain notions of rights and wrongs to have other people getting their hands dirty for them or their cause.

Anyways... glad we've agreed on the main part though, because the rest is all too philosophical

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Tao Jones

Totally delusional and about to burst if you'd ask me.

"I'm the leader", "I will start the revolution", that guy was preaching and seeing himself as a new Jesus but with guns. Eerily similar to other ones we unfortunately only saw on the news after they took the lives of innocent people.

I think it's better to have him on hold.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by sensible1

At what point do we quit living in a free society. If you rely on the government to protect you 3 things to consider
1) Government cannot protect an individual all of the time
2) At what expense to your personal freedom
3) Who is going to protect you from the government

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by howthefuq
When you enlist in the military, you willingly forfeit your rights to the government including free speech. /thread

Eh, this is true to an extent. You make it sound like vets have no free speech. While in the military you are allowed to protest, even against the Gov't, the catch is you can't wear your uniform & protest because the US military does not want you as their spoke man. Now when you get out of the military you are placed into the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) for 4,..... 6, or is it 8, years (I forget). During that time veterans still cannot protest in uniform. It's uncommon to hear vets who protest while in uniform being brought up on UCMJ charges but rare cases do occur. Of course once you are all finishd with the IRR you are a completely free man, a regular citizen who is not held to the UCMJ anymore.

So yes, military members have limited free speech but they don't lose it completely, not never at any point, and they are not held to these rules for their entire life. That's the impression I get when I read your comment. And speaking of free speech and Marines, who can forget the active duty Marine who posted negative remarks about Obama on his Facebook page and was later discharged.

Either way, Brandon wasn't ever charged, not even charged with the UCMJ. He was basically kidnapped by the Gov't and placed into a mental health hospital. This is the stuff conspiracy theorists eat up!
edit on 21-8-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
We seem to have a division here with one group wanting to protect the freedom of speech at any cost, and another group here that wants to protect the safety of people at any cost...

Anti-Govt/revolution talk.... Why wouldn't the govt. step in and do something? When people are openly discussing overthrowing you, wouldnt you treat them like a viable threat? They can preach 1st ammendment all they want, but I doubt that will ever hold up in our country if they feel threatened that a group of people are joining up to start a revoulution...

I guess the question is, is all the revolution talk just talk, or are these people (like Brandon Raub) actually going to do something?

If its not just talk, then I understand what the Govt. is doing... You dismantle your enemy before they can form into anything substantial...

And im not saying its necessarily right what the Govt. is doing, but I understand...
edit on 21-8-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tao Jones
"The Revolution will come for me. Men will be at my door soon to pick me up to lead it.
I'm at **** ******* Road Richmond, Virginia 23237."

I'm not aware of those being the lyrics to any song that I've heard.

They sound like a cry for help from a deranged person. Or something else, we'll see in a few weeks.

I'm still stumped as to how this is a freedom of speech issue. He wasn't detained for being a 9/11 truther. He was detained for making threats and asking them to come get him.

That's because no one ever said that was a song lyric. What you got there is him predicting his future, even more so if this event really begins to shake Americans up. I mean let's see, we got the Patriot Act (renewed! Woot), the NDAA, drones in US skies, Washington DC up to all sorts of shenanigans and more, but what will it finally take for American's to be shook? The US Gov't coming for you because they don't like what you have to say may be what gets the snow ball finally rolling. Or this story will be soon forgotten and minds not changed. We'll have to wait and see.

He was detained for song lyrics and a clear opposition to the current US Gov't establishment who assumes he's a danger, or that's their excuse. Either way, in my opinion, this man was not a threat to anyone. I believe I read somewhere he doesn't even own a gun, which I find odd for southern man

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I personally believe about 95% of all the talk is just talk. It's entertainment, leisure, an effort to politically shift opinions or plain old harmless eccentricity, as I used to hear it called when I was growing up.

The other 5%? Timothy McVeigh....the guy who tried killing Clinton by crashing his personal plane into the White House..or the other guy who crashed his personal plane in to an IRS building. More recently...the one who took a couple pot shots with an AK-47 at the White House. I'd say real nuts do exist...and once someone crosses a certain line of indicating intent to act, they have to respond just out of caution, if nothing else.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I can't get over how the freedom of speech is being attacked each week in this seemingly downward sliding nation I live in. Seems that people support what they agree with and punish those who say things they do not agree with. You can't have it both ways.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by wash777
First off, big thanks to the membes of ATS for bringing this story to our attention a few days before it made it to the mainstream media.

I wonder why his mother, who gave an interview in an earlier posted youtube video shortly after his "detention" has not provided any updates on how he's doing? Would she have access to talk to him? I'm not sure.

I've been telling everyone I know about this story, and quite frankly, have been disappointed in the reactions. Most don't seem to see it as a concern at all. They tend to assume if he was taken in, he needed to be.

Following this one with interest and appreciate all the updates by everyone.

I posted an updated video that included his mother, his sister, and his brother. His sister carried a pocket sized Constitution with her and his brother has Freedom tattooed on his forearm (I LoL'd when he showed and you will too). Anyway, the mother said Brandon is fine and for right now the civil rights lawyers who are representing Brandon are telling his family to not say anything at this time. No comment.

With all the recent shootings, hell since 99, that's the mind set now. A lot of people are into being protected and secure so they believe the Gov't knows best and is probably right. These minds need changin asap

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Wait til they uncover his ATS posts, then we will all be suspected and rounded up......It could happen!!!
Is this why you are taking the governments side on this one???
Someone posted would I take "rights" over people ??
My answer is How many people died to Give Us Those Rights in the FIRST PLACE?
So yes I would errr on the side of protecting our Rights.
Alot of people are overlooking the FACT that he has not done anything wrong!!!
We cannot convict someone when nothing has been done!!! We might as well get traffic tickets in the mail cause during the course of the day I might speed, or run a red light, or not use my blinker. Lets start fining people before they break the law.

That makes alot of sense doesn't it?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by jhn7537

I personally believe about 95% of all the talk is just talk. It's entertainment, leisure, an effort to politically shift opinions or plain old harmless eccentricity, as I used to hear it called when I was growing up.

The other 5%? Timothy McVeigh....the guy who tried killing Clinton by crashing his personal plane into the White House..or the other guy who crashed his personal plane in to an IRS building. More recently...the one who took a couple pot shots with an AK-47 at the White House. I'd say real nuts do exist...and once someone crosses a certain line of indicating intent to act, they have to respond just out of caution, if nothing else.

I'd seconded this. ATS is full of this talk and as is many, many, many other websites. It all begins with first a thought, then you talk, then sooner or later action may follow and it's the action the Gov't is afraid of. They are afraid of any revolution that greatly affects them and their seats of power. They don't care if this revolution is peaceful like the hippies or violent like the French Revolution (and I believe they'd prefer a violent one vs a peaceful one), if either succeed they lose, so they need to stop it before it spreads. Let's look at the Arab Spring as a prime example why the US is, and probably always has been, monitoring social websites and user accounts. They don't want a revolution here, bloody or full of flowers.

Clearly things in Washington DC and abroad are broken and need fixen' asap. Obama obviously ain't fixin anything and neither is Romney...lmao Romney
. DC is not interested in this line of thought and that's why Ron Paul is treated like garbage.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by thomas_

The sharp tongue is what got him into trouble.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SwillsFunny thing is, he was right. This should be a national story, so does anyone watch CNN, Fox, MSNBC, BBC, etc, anymore? If so, are they discussing this? Is Alex Jones screaming about this?

AJ barely gave it lip service. He spent more time reminding everyone Charlie Sheen does drugs, as usual. Not sure what his fascination is with prostrating him on a daily basis.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

So it makes sense to see the US Govt. acting the way they do, right? Why would anyone or any entity want to lose the power/control they currently have??

Bloody revolutions have worked over time. Have peaceful revolutions ever worked?? Doubt it.... So I dont even see how a revolution could ever gain any steam here in this country...USA just has too much damn power, this isnt 200 years ago, we (us citizens) have allowed our Govt. to build itself up to a size (man power, hardware, technology, resources, etc) where it would impossible to battle or overthrow... I'm calling it now, it would be impossible... If Russia and China would have a tough time, than a group of extreme minds/thoughts has zero shot...

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
As someone who spent a lot of time working in the mental health system and dealing with a large population of involuntarily committed people, I just want to note a few things.

While I am not that familiar with the laws in his particular state, in Georgia - and probably there - there is ONE big check/balance against just willy nilly having someone committed - the fact that they can sue you for false imprisonment.

Of course, in his case, I'm not sure how the procedure went down - it sounds rather suspect.

In most cases, ANYONE can have ANYONE else involuntarily committed for evaluation - usually that is going to be a family member or close friend. This person will SIGN a form stating that they think that the person is a danger to themselves, or a danger to others.

There's 3 big NO-NOs. Thoughts of hurting or killing others, thoughts of hurting or killing yourself - or failure to attend to your own activities of daily living.

I've seen people held simply for failure to attend to their ADLs - not bathing, tending to one's personal hygiene, wearing dirty clothes, not wanting to wear clothes, eating out of trash cans, refusing to take medication that is deemed life-saving, ect.

Now, in Georgia, you could not anonymously just up and complain to someone and then the cops come and take you from your home/work, ect., and lock you up for evaluation. SOMEONE had to sign that form - and THAT person would be the person held accountable for false imprisonment.

If people complained about him on Facebook, their coward butts should have been made to put it in writing.

We have to be VERY firm on people having the RIGHT to know their accuser. It's one thing that totally concerns me about the DFCS/CPS system, and it leaves the system open to abuse for reasons of personality conflict, vengeance, political/religious oppression, ect.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ezwip

Originally posted by SwillsFunny thing is, he was right. This should be a national story, so does anyone watch CNN, Fox, MSNBC, BBC, etc, anymore? If so, are they discussing this? Is Alex Jones screaming about this?

AJ barely gave it lip service. He spent more time reminding everyone Charlie Sheen does drugs, as usual. Not sure what his fascination is with prostrating him on a daily basis.

Yeah I've been trolling AJ's YouTube channel for a video clip about this but none have shown up so far and I was confused. There is an article about it on his website but I wanna hear what he has to say, without sitting thru his whole show
. So thanks for answering my question that he barely gave it the time of day. He just earned another reason for people to hate him. Ugh, Charlie Sheen? Sorry warlock but this story should trump you.

On the bright side, MSM outlets at least have articles on their websites about this story. I don't watch TV much and when I do I don't waste it watching Fox or CNN so I have no clue if they're reporting on it. I'll wait for MoxNews to upload it for me
. Love that guy, and come to think of it I haven't received an email from his YT page in a while. I wonder if they shut his channel down again?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I love the idea of psych wards. A place where "experts" diagnose people with having mental disabilities. Would be a kick in the nuts if those doctors one day realize some of their patients aren't as "sick" as conventional medicine has led them to believe.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by hanyak69

Wait til they uncover his ATS posts, then we will all be suspected and rounded up......It could happen!!!

Oh, sure. See you all in the FEMA camps.

Looking forward to meeting all my buddies around here.

Remember not to resist when they come knocking on your door.

It's just an invite to the great party in the camps. Free food and drinks.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Yeah I've been trolling AJ's YouTube channel for a video clip about this but none have shown up so far and I was confused. There is an article about it on his website but I wanna hear what he has to say, without sitting thru his whole show
. So thanks for answering my question that he barely gave it the time of day. He just earned another for people to hate him. Ugh, Charlie Sheen? Sorry warlock but this story should trump you.

The only thing I heard him say was that he knew his rights and if it happened to him he would have told the judge that and walked right back out the door a few moments later. Which is probably true I understand he has a very good lawyer. No empathy was shown and that was that.
edit on 21-8-2012 by ezwip because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
More arrests of anti-government types...

Armed Wash. man arrested in alleged Obama threat

* Home
* News
* National

Armed Wash. man arrested in alleged Obama threat

* Story
* Comments

Print
Create a hardcopy of this page
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:42 pm

Armed Wash. man arrested in alleged Obama threat Associated Press | 0 comments

Authorities have arrested a Washington state man and are sweeping his apartment complex for explosives after emailed threats were made against President Barack Obama.

Emily Langlie, a spokeswoman for the Seattle U.S. attorney's office, says the suspect was armed but was taken into custody without incident in the south suburb of Federal Way on Tuesday afternoon. He was scheduled to appear in federal court Wednesday.
The man's name was not immediately released. He has not been charged.

Langlie said the threats had been sent to a general government email address.

SOURCE: www.timesonline.com...

I think they must be trying to round everybody up before the Mayan date of Dec 21, 2012

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join