It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Senate Nominee: Victims Of ‘Legitimate Rape’ Don’t Get Pregnant

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Yeah, it made me speechless also. I have said it before, and I'll say it again. Our leaders, for all effects and purposes, and retarded.
(no offense intended to retarded folks)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
seems like every election has its' "Larry Craig moment of stupidity" for the republicans...

2nd

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Actually, this is a simple solution for the argument of life.
measure brainwaves..if there are brainwaves, the thing is no longer a thing, it is a person...anything before, its a thing..replicating mass no matter what its form.

It was said that brainwave activity starts at about the 5th month.

lets test it.
Trying to make the goalposts "brainwaves" now to overturn Roe? I've seen this argument before.

The "brain waves at 40 days" is a myth. You can get this kind of electrical excitations from a water melon. What isn't a myth is that after three months of pregnancy, the neurons which will later combine to form a brain are still migrating. Disconnected neurons do not amount to a brain.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
It is a shockingly tragic fact that statistically 1/2 of all people are below average intelligence. Even more tragic is our propensity to elect the lower half to public office.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Detergent
It is a shockingly tragic fact that statistically 1/2 of all people are below average intelligence. Even more tragic is our propensity to elect the lower half to public office.

You are wrong. Your statement applies only to a specific type of probability density distribution, which has symmetry, e.g. a gaussian. There is no way to assert this is the case when we consider human intelligence. Most real-life distributions are highly skewed, and are characterized by "statistical moments". For these distributions, the mean is very different from the median (1/2 up, 1/2 down). I'd wager that the average intelligence is higher than the median.

Now, can I get elected to a public office?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Well since you can't do any more damage than the ones currently in there sure.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
content.usatoday.com...

GOP presidential contender Mitt Romney is calling on a defiant Rep. Todd Akin to step aside in the Missouri Senate race. Akin, a six-term House member, has been under fire since saying Sunday that pregnancy could be prevented in the case of "legitimate rape" because "the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

so it seems he is trying to stay in the race dispite being told by pretty much every one get the hell out

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by igor_ats

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Actually, this is a simple solution for the argument of life.
measure brainwaves..if there are brainwaves, the thing is no longer a thing, it is a person...anything before, its a thing..replicating mass no matter what its form.

It was said that brainwave activity starts at about the 5th month.

lets test it.
Trying to make the goalposts "brainwaves" now to overturn Roe? I've seen this argument before.

The "brain waves at 40 days" is a myth. You can get this kind of electrical excitations from a water melon. What isn't a myth is that after three months of pregnancy, the neurons which will later combine to form a brain are still migrating. Disconnected neurons do not amount to a brain.

Random energy signatures are not brainwaves. brainwaves are brainwaves. when it matches that of thought verses that of a melon, then you have life.

This happens around the 5 month area.

Personally, I favor the goalpost being the completion of the central nervous system (about 3 month area) to be arguably the beginnings of personhood..so the difference between this potential of thought, and the obvious thought at 5 months can be debated. Better to error in caution is my stand on it.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
CNN Link

Piers Morgan puts up empty chair after Akin cancels appearance

When the Republican Senate candidate who said "legitimate rape" rarely resulted in pregnancy canceled plans to appear on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight," the CNN chat show host did not hurriedly book another guest for his Monday night show.

Instead, the program turned its cameras on an empty chair.

"Congressman," the CNN host addressed Rep. Todd Akin, a Missouri Republican, "you have an open invitation to join me in that chair whenever you feel up to it.

"If you don't keep your promise to appear on the show, then you are what we would call in Britain a gutless little twerp."

Just for the sake of fairness, does this mean the rest of us get to condemn every Democrat who cancels an appearance on a media outlet relating to controversial or personally harmful topics? Hey..I got a list here we can start with if simply saying no at the last minute is now grounds to attack.

I pretty much detest what he said and I live here...but as I noted and others agreed, blame people for electing Claire as to why this guy likely wins despite his idiocy. She's worse....

@thread

A quick thing..especially with CNN. I'd seen a report last night where they all but sneered and mocked out the words "forcible rape" 'as if there is any other kind'. Well, actually.. This IS a pretty valid point, I thought to myself....... Rape is NOT Rape as a blanket thing UNDER THE LAWS. Sweden is a dandy example with Assange...and 100% purely consensual and enjoyable sexual relations (as reported by ALL parties, personally and in their own words) is called Rape because he wasn't entirely honest about something. Consent has never even been suggested as an issue. Hmm. Still Rape?

My neighbor is on the Sex Offender list. He was 19..she was 17. He's listed as a felony rape offender. You'd need to dig a little and pull court records to see he was a rapist only in the eyes of a pissed off Mother and vicious District Attorney at the time. I'm a Parent. I definitely checked...

So the whole issue of Rape isn't questionable to intelligent adults, but to the LAW....it seems to cover a WHOLE LOT I'd say seriously cheapens and hurts the accusation when it really *IS* rape.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I'll see your real rape victims don't get pregnant and raise you one if you're successful in this country you didn't do that somehow somewhere along the way someone helped you.

Honestly BOTH sides at this point are raging idiots but at least the republicans don't want to take our guns.... at the end of the day I'll always vote for the side that doesn't want to disarm me over the side that does as sad as it is that it's come to that but it has.
edit on 21-8-2012 by roguetechie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Just for the sake of fairness, does this mean the rest of us get to condemn every Democrat who cancels an appearance on a media outlet relating to controversial or personally harmful topics?

You know, I just might. Sorry, I don't have double standards. According to me, the current crop of Dems are a pathetic bunch -- people invested so much hope in them and they wasted it in a royally disgusting manner.

My neighbor is on the Sex Offender list. He was 19..she was 17. He's listed as a felony rape offender. You'd need to dig a little and pull court records to see he was a rapist only in the eyes of a pissed off Mother and vicious District Attorney at the time. I'm a Parent. I definitely checked...

There is a reason it's called Statutory Rape. I might have spelled it wrong, but don't try to pretend you don't know the rather important difference. What that arse@hole Akin said has no relation to that. Are you just doing it in a jest? I am a parent, too, by the way. And oh yeah, it doesn't take a "vicious" DA. It takes ANY DA who follows the law. I thought you knew that, but whatever. I was on a Grand Jury duty, and we had a case like that.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilrathiLG
content.usatoday.com...

GOP presidential contender Mitt Romney is calling on a defiant Rep. Todd Akin to step aside in the Missouri Senate race. Akin, a six-term House member, has been under fire since saying Sunday that pregnancy could be prevented in the case of "legitimate rape" because "the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

so it seems he is trying to stay in the race dispite being told by pretty much every one get the hell out

Hey, Charles Rangel keeps getting to be a member of Congress. Why should it be different for Akin?

/TOA

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Did Charles Rangel make ignorant comments like Akin did?

Did he?

If not? Ding ding ding! You have no argument!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

You know, I just might. Sorry, I don't have double standards. According to me, the current crop of Dems are a pathetic bunch -- people invested so much hope in them and they wasted it in a royally disgusting manner.

Hey, don't be sorry. I honestly didn't expect anyone to bite on the idea of taking that both directions, but only because I've come to expect double standards as a routine course of business. I respect it taken to both who would bail on an interview out of personal interest and when they just flat out lost their debate before even showing up.

I feel a lot closer to your side on this one...although generally speaking, it seems a bit petty to pick on canceled show appointments in general, but that's strictly my personal view there.

There is a reason it's called Statutory Rape. I might have spelled it wrong, but don't try to pretend you don't know the rather important difference. What that arse@hole Akin said has no relation to that. Are you just doing it in a jest? I am a parent, too, by the way. And oh yeah, it doesn't take a "vicious" DA. It takes ANY DA who follows the law. I thought you knew that, but whatever. I was on a Grand Jury duty, and we had a case like that.

In terms of Stat Rape, that's great....when it's clearly listed as such and noted as that offense. People who see that word before Rape know full well it means parents got pissed and one of them (usually the male) was a bit over 18 to the girl who wasn't quite yet. My beef on that case and in general is how Rape has come to be defined in SO many different ways and qualified to the point of being watered down as a term. If someone says xxx Raped xxx, then I think forcible, violent and very ugly criminal action...enough to be quite happy to go visit the Rapist and play turkey doctor for a few hours in private. Stat Rape? Swedish law where it's not even THAT much and still prosecuted under the title of Rape? The world has gone mad.

I brought it up only because the thread is quite happily wandering right away from our little mental midget in Missouri and taking in Ryan, Romney and seemingly half the Republican party to hear some play this stupid statement for all it's worth.

I know what Akin said pissed people off...and it ought to. Not for what it MEANT though....and this is IMPORTANT in why I do not just go off about the guy. He was describing a medical process...a complex bio-medical process to prevent pregnancy by the emotional state caused in a rape. He's totally WRONG and no such process exists, but that's the point.

He wasn't hateful in saying this... I wish he were. That would make it easier to understand. He said it like he was stating Cigarettes cause lung cancer. He's IGNORANT beyond all belief....not hateful or even mean spirited. Now....how did someone at his position get that far with that level of pure ignorance about basic biology? While we're asking for Obama's college records, lets see THIS idiot's biology grades. I think it's safe to say he didn't do well and the Akin family was never in danger of having a Doctor come out of him....and then some.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by VaterOrlaag
reply to post by The Old American

Did Charles Rangel make ignorant comments like Akin did?

Did he?

If not? Ding ding ding! You have no argument!

Naw.. Rangel just wrote the tax law..(he wasn't a Member of the Ways and Means committee, he was it's Chairman while flaunting Tax Laws)...then went about violating it repeatedly...then claimed tax code is all too complex and so, really, he didn't know.........even though he helped write the code itself.

but,..an idiot in Missouri makes a statement with a 3rd graders understanding of Biology and he's suddenly public enemy #1 and fit to be run out of town on a rail. Umm.. between the two, it's that tax code writer who violates his own code and then claims ignorance I have the far larger issue with.

That's just me though... Criminal action and stupidity being two entirely different things, of course.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Anovulation is a condition in which the ovary does not release a ripened egg each month as part of a woman's normal cycle in her reproductive years. Naturally, with no egg available for sperm, a woman cannot become pregnant. Thus, anovulation is a prime factor in infertility.

While anovulation and its role in infertility seems simple, the condition itself is quite complicated. Anovulation can arise from a number of causes, ranging from diet and exercise to complex disruptions in the relationships between tiny glands in the brain that control our most basic functions.

Stress. Anxiety and other forms of emotional stress can take a their toll on normal ovulation. Some women can resolve the stress in their daily lives while others need the help of a psychiatrist or psychotherapist. Occasionally, through therapy or meditation, a woman will gain insight into a subconscious but significant reservation she has about becoming pregnant.

www.healthscout.com...

So stress can cause changes in body chemistry

Not that this would necessarily prevent pregnancy in a rape victim, but stress does affect hormonal balances. Note the mention about women's subconscious reservations..
Here's another reference to "stress induced anovulaton"

If stress takes a toll on your body, then it could mean you ovulate later than usual in your menstrual cycle, or not at all. This condition is called stress-induced anovulation.

Your body is probably used to every-day stresses, so your cycle is unlikely to be affected by these. Of course, everyone reacts to stress in different ways. A traumatic event can throw your cycle off and interfere with conceiving. Or it could be a change of routine, such as a business trip, that delays your ovulation.

If you're stressed, your cervical mucus may indicate that something's not right. Rather than noticing increased cervical wetness as you approach ovulation, you might find patches of wetness interspersed with dry days. It's as if your body is trying to ovulate but the stress continues to delay it.

www.babycentre.co.uk...

Of course everyone is ripping into this guy because it's a media driven agenda from the Left
edit on 21-8-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
More on stress

"It's becoming more and more important, in terms of what studies we do, to focus our efforts on the physiological effects of stress and how they may play a role in conception," says Margareta D. Pisarska, MD, co-director of Center for Reproductive Medicine at Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles and editor-in-chief of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine News.

"What we do know now is that when stress-reduction techniques are employed, something happens in some women that allows them to get pregnant when they couldn't get pregnant before," says Allen Morgan, MD, director of Shore Institute for Reproductive Medicine in Lakewood, N.J.

While the exact pathways between fertility and stress remain a mystery, Morgan believes hormones like cortisol or epinephrine -- which rise and often remain high during times of chronic stress -- play a key role.

Morgan says that it's also possible that reducing stress may help enhance proteins within the uterine lining that are involved in implantation. She says that stress reduction may increase blood flow to the uterus, which also affects conception.

www.webmd.com...

Have a great night all you brilliant doctors in the house

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

I'd be happy to take what you're presenting as a valid basis for why a man in his position could be so incredibly ignorant to the facts of rape. That's fair enough.

You can't possibly be suggesting what he said has validity to it in the actual case of rape though, could you? Someone who doesn't know any better would never believe a woman could respond and have climax during rape either....but there it is, and, as I understand rape counseling, one of the worst aspects to help a victim get over if it went that way for them during the attack.

I'm just beside myself entirely by a good half of the thread here... and my wife's comments to these last posts....would get me banned for repeating. Women are downright militant about willful ignorance of this topic.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I am in favor of mandatory (reversible) sterilization of all men until they pass a series of tests, to determine their relative merit and worth.

There should be no pregnancy -- ever -- unless the penis in the equation is determined to be fit, functional, and of worth, both socially and financially.

Violators should be tied to ant-hills, and smeared with honey, and left to die.

Sound fair to you?
edit on 22-8-2012 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

I'd be happy to take what you're presenting as a valid basis for why a man in his position could be so incredibly ignorant to the facts of rape. That's fair enough.

You can't possibly be suggesting what he said has validity to it in the actual case of rape though, could you? Someone who doesn't know any better would never believe a woman could respond and have climax during rape either....but there it is, and, as I understand rape counseling, one of the worst aspects to help a victim get over if it went that way for them during the attack.

I'm just beside myself entirely by a good half of the thread here... and my wife's comments to these last posts....would get me banned for repeating. Women are downright militant about willful ignorance of this topic.

Well, I personally feel his comments were off the wall a bit, but after research it is apparent that he was using an old argument from decades ago. But clearly, as I have cited MDs on the subject of stress affecting conception, that stress can be a factor in "anovulation".
My position on this is that while his statements were off, the situation is being driven by a media who wants to portray all conservatives as extreme nut jobs who hate women, while completely ignoring the absolutely outrageous stuff the Progressives are doing(ie how can Holdren's ideas of mass sterilizing people against their will be upheld by the same crowd who thinks laws against abortion are taking away their freedom?) The amount of hypocrisy is just stunning.
Sean Hannity was discussing this as well today and brought up the notion that conservatives have this war on women, and he noted that Obama policies have been very hard on women in that women have a high unemployment rate during his tenure as POTUS, and I would have to agree, that while he pretends to be all for women(that is being pro Choice) his policies are deeply affecting women in a profound way economically.

Also, I do have difficulty with the idea of forcing a woman to have the child after rape, but there is adoption.
I just think much of this is media driven by people who would re elect Obama if he fed newborns to alligators in the swamp.
edit on 22-8-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join