It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people so conceited (Ego)?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
People are so conceited that they actually believe that they "have" a mind - that they OWN this divine essence. People actually believe that their is a "purpose" to life - that life was made just for them and some ultimate power is just giving them a purpose of life and that makes them feel "special" inside. Get over yourself.

People are not willing to see TRUTH because their own self-conceit gets in the way - they blind reality with fairy-tales or they just adapt belief system of "how they wish things to be" instead of "how they actually are".

They have a "holier than thou" attitude, claiming to be the embodiment of "love" while criticizing others. If you were truly "love", you wouldn't let outside circumstance CONTROL your emotion, you would be love no matter who or what appeared because YOU claim to be love. You wouldn't be trying to "change" others to make YOURSELF happier. Then, they say "you are so selfish" when in reality they are saying this so that you can do what THEY say, as if this weren't selfish. It is hypocrisy.

If you actually CARE about reality. If you want to actually LOVE the TRUTH, then you would realize that the only quality of existence is 'to exist'. You would realize that it is the 'brain' that likes to set goals and think things and therefore any so-called 'purpose' of life is only coming from the 'brain', not reality.

You would understand that it is YOU who create duality with your type of thinking, judging all things and throwing them into two different categories instead of seeing it for what it really is - one whole; one reality.

You don't "OWN" anything, everything just exists, because that is the quality of existence to exist, any meaning or ownership you put on top of that is an illusion created by your BRAIN. It is a lie - a deception.

Believing that humans (and animals) are the only beings that exist is arrogance. Believing that no other being has a soul but humans is complete arrogance.

Choosing to believe that you have to be a slave for a superior being, rather than facing reality is complete cowardice.

Just because a "being" told you that it was an "angel" or a "god" or just because you have faith in ancient words, that does not mean that it is true. Do you not think that a being will not say it is all loving and caring to get your affection? Do you not think that a being will pretend to be stronger than it is to gain power over you?

Why is there so much faith in super-beings, where is the faith in reality?

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Because I am born under the Aries sign.
One must humble themselves in order to learn things in life, something I have been working on.
not there yet

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
it is good to rant. let those negative feelings out. being true to state how u really feel.

where is the faith in reality?? dying.. as everything else in this world is.. dying from the day you are born the countdown begins.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Christians are Christians and Muslims are Muslims. They have been that way for a long time.

I understand your rant man but as much passion you have for trying to get your message across they have that same passion for serving said deity. So at the end of the day there s still a lot of passion. Regardless of direction.

Some folks just want something to believe in. It is because of that that they do what they do.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

It seems as if there is a growing contempt for reality these days. Maybe it stems from being unable to discover meaning in real things and in themselves, thus they abstract reality to fit their wishfulness. It may also grow from a contempt and abstraction of their own selves, their body:

To the despisers of the body will I speak my word. I wish them neither to learn afresh, nor teach anew, but only to bid farewell to their own bodies,—and thus be dumb.

"Body am I, and soul"—so saith the child. And why should one not speak like children?
But the awakened one, the knowing one, saith: "Body am I entirely, and nothing more; and soul is only the name of something in the body."

The body is a big sagacity, a plurality with one sense, a war and a peace, a flock and a shepherd.

An instrument of thy body is also thy little sagacity, my brother, which thou callest "spirit"—a little instrument and plaything of thy big sagacity.

"Ego," sayest thou, and art proud of that word. But the greater thing—in which thou art unwilling to believe—is thy body with its big sagacity; it saith not "ego," but doeth it.

What the sense feeleth, what the spirit discerneth, hath never its end in itself. But sense and spirit would fain persuade thee that they are the end of all things: so vain are they.

Instruments and playthings are sense and spirit: behind them there is still the Self. The Self seeketh with the eyes of the senses, it hearkeneth also with the ears of the spirit.

Ever hearkeneth the Self, and seeketh; it compareth, mastereth, conquereth, and destroyeth. It ruleth, and is also the ego's ruler.

Behind thy thoughts and feelings, my brother, there is a mighty lord, an unknown sage—it is called Self; it dwelleth in thy body, it is thy body.

There is more sagacity in thy body than in thy best wisdom. And who then knoweth why thy body requireth just thy best wisdom?

Thy Self laugheth at thine ego, and its proud prancings. "What are these prancings and flights of thought unto me?" it saith to itself. "A by-way to my purpose. I am the leading-string of the ego, and the prompter of its notions."

The Self saith unto the ego: "Feel pain!" And thereupon it suffereth, and thinketh how it may put an end thereto—and for that very purpose it is meant to think.

The Self saith unto the ego: "Feel pleasure!" Thereupon it rejoiceth, and thinketh how it may ofttimes rejoice—and for that very purpose it is meant to think.

To the despisers of the body will I speak a word. That they despise is caused by their esteem. What is it that created esteeming and despising and worth and will?

The creating Self created for itself esteeming and despising, it created for itself joy and woe. The creating body created for itself spirit, as a hand to its will.

Even in your folly and despising ye each serve your Self, ye despisers of the body. I tell you, your very Self wanteth to die, and turneth away from life.

No longer can your Self do that which it desireth most:—create beyond itself. That is what it desireth most; that is all its fervour.

But it is now too late to do so:—so your Self wisheth to succumb, ye despisers of the body.
To succumb—so wisheth your Self; and therefore have ye become despisers of the body. For ye can no longer create beyond yourselves.

And therefore are ye now angry with life and with the earth. And unconscious envy is in the sidelong look of your contempt.

I go not your way, ye despisers of the body! Ye are no bridges for me to the Overman!—

Thus spake Zarathustra.

Nietzsche. The Despisers of the Body, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Since everything is perception, we can say that we all live in lies. For example, there is no sound until the waves arrive to your ears, and light is not what we think it is, there is nothing "luminous" about light but it becomes "luminous" when the photons arrive to your eye and brain. In reality, we live in a universe of darkness and silence. Answer the question "what sound a falling tree would do if there are no ears and brain to hear it falling ?"

But we can also say that some live more in lies that others. We can say that there are two paths to the truth : knowing what you know, and knowing what you don't know. I agree with you on that ; some people just can't accept the "question mark", they need it to be something they can understand, something they can rely on. But like in an equation, attributing random values or comfortable values to an Unknown can drive you to a false direction.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” -Carl Jung

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
It is not easy to realize that most people are functioning in a reality where they believe everything to be solid and desperately latch from thing to thing, creating attachment and delusion from following conceptual lies, not truth, they're unfamiliar with following truth because the 'self' is 'scary and lonely', they have hearts of rust and follow iniquity. Like they say, delusional people are too ignorant to realize their own stupidity, so they carry on like psychic vampires trying to fill a void, and projecting their insecurities on other people. They don't see knowledge as knowledge of self, they see it as leverage to use against others.

Our true existence, our daily conscious experience is the alpha and omega, yet we constantly seek to acquire that which does not exist in present awareness, which is a delusion and that what what we attach to will never be what we thought it was, and this causes us to suffer. I'm leaning towards calcified pineal glands or something similar because its hard to imagine people are so densely compounded mentally that they're not capable of ''consideration'' or even operational ''thinking''

Someone who's following a life time of conjecture and misinformation, combined with ego, you have a non-human entity - a two faced backbiter that that knows 'everything' because 'they' heard it, while they follow lust greed and hatred, who profess love, liberalism and openness. The hippie movement was the sin wave of this conformist complacents which morphed in to the modern day hipster.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Originally posted by arpgme
They have a "holier than thou" attitude, claiming to be the embodiment of "love" while criticizing others. If you were truly "love", you wouldn't let outside circumstance CONTROL your emotion, you would be love no matter who or what appeared because YOU claim to be love. You wouldn't be trying to "change" others to make YOURSELF happier. Then, they say "you are so selfish" when in reality they are saying this so that you can do what THEY say, as if this weren't selfish. It is hypocrisy.

K... read it again? Now go back and read your op. Most importantly last sentence of paragraph 1. Should have reread before posting.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

You do understand that the people you're talking about are not as analytical as you, right?

If you want to get your message across to them, you have to speak their language. And to begin with, don't call it something like "dumbing yourself down" as I've heard other people say. Simplify your speech a bit. Start using words like "ego" and "self", and you're going to start losing people. Hell, you lost me on a part of your rant and I'm as analytical as they come.

To answer your question though, this world is too complex and involved for most people to figure out and try to realistically change. Present company included. That's why people look for means of escape. Besides which, a world that would have no need for a rant like the one you posted would take a lot of patience and understanding to bring about. Patience and understanding that the majority of the world, sadly, just doesn't have. So as a result, people have what you an ego. I call it a means to escape from a reality that doesn't please them too much, yet they can't change.

I've learned to accept things the way they are, accept the fact that I can't change the bad that I see and just do what I can to make my little corner of the world a more peaceful place to be. If more people, one by one, would simplify things to that level, IMO, the world eventually become a better place.

You don't build a home by just slapping the whole thing up at once. You take it brick by brick.

youtu.be...

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy88
K... read it again? Now go back and read your op. Most importantly last sentence of paragraph 1. Should have reread before posting.

There is no contradiction. I said "get over yourself" to those who are so self-centered that they believe that life was made specifically for them and they believe things just because it makes them feel "special" inside.

By saying "get over yourself", I am not telling them to do anything for me. Them realizing that they live in reality will not stroke my ego.

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
reply to post by arpgme

If you want to get your message across to them, you have to speak their language. And to begin with, don't call it something like "dumbing yourself down" as I've heard other people say. Simplify your speech a bit. Start using words like "ego" and "self", and you're going to start losing people. Hell, you lost me on a part of your rant and I'm as analytical as they come.

You are absolutely right, and the sad thing is that most people who use words like "ego" and "self" are actually trying to just talk about the basics of human mind - it wasn't even anything complex yet. I guess I should have a more gentle and kind approach as well.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

A Few flaws in your theory. One you said we have a soul and since we do the information that could possibly lay dormant could be our potential or history. Two you cant have faith in reality because you know it exist but the perception of what reality is various. You could believe in a superior being if you need to believe that someone better has your back or you can not believe in a superior being because when you needed help "IT" was not there for you. Its better to have a false support then no support. Three if you do not own anything you cant control anything so no control over emotions. Maybe self-pity is getting in your way.... just a thought.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

It's all about self loathing hatred and insecurity, along with a powerful need to prove something and BE somebody special. Takes one to know one I guess eh? .

And if there's a devil (the epitome of egotism run amok) he's a whining, pathetic, wimp, with nothing but a very severe insecurity complex, who's been overcompensating for ages.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I don't know why this guy is getting hate. Seemed like he had something on his mind and he spit it out, I thought he did a good job, I'd rather read something someone spoken from the heart than a politically correct piece. He caught a lot of different ideas that might not all click but hey, there's only so many ways to express the ''humans are bloody weirdos what a motley crew of sheep'' wavelength. That thought presented to a bubble sheep is like, ''ew oh my god why is he so evil and weird what is he saying!! can't you just be a sheep like us and fit in!!''

Sidebar thoughts;

Ex.I think enduring contradiction is a high sign of culture. Example: I am a believer in god (amazingly, whatever that means) I also don't think that is true, how could it? I'd be deluded if I said I believed in something I can't identify. Yet I firmly believe.

Ex. 2. I have studied major religions and I find that they all go hand in hand and support each other in terms of 'path to god' information and serve as a tool to further expand an open breast. I also believe they're just words which are supposed to be sticks and stones but somehow they become some divine law (another form of paganism - man latching on to things, idolizing books, religions etc instead of real god reality experience which got christ killed for speaking on )which is not the message in my opinion. I also know majority of humans do not understand or take the message to heart, they follow there own iniquity and commit acts in the name of god or the book. So it is what it is. Its neither good nor bad

All the religions serve as a 'guide' not a 'vice' so talking to an 85er who's like, 'SO WAIT, ARE U , CHRISTIAN, OR MUSLIM' just leave the conversation because they're profane and lacking any symbol literacy, still dense and ignorant you might be temporarily jealous of their ignorant bless but a life without wisdom is still not worth living.

I picked up on his loathe for religion but subtract the religious angle and consider the information and I find truth within it.
so I thought his stream of consciousness caught different revelations, perceptions, either way I thought it was fresh, just my 2 cents.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

It's quite a coincidence that you made this thread shortly after I told you truths that you didn't seem to like very much in another thread. Just sayin'.

edit on 19-8-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule
reply to post by arpgme

It's quite a coincidence that you made this thread shortly after I told you truths that you didn't seem to like very much in another thread. Just sayin'.

edit on 19-8-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

It's "quite" a coincidence? sorry, but not everything revolves around you. And I don't know what "truths" you are talking since we didn't agree on quite a few things, in fact, I wasn't even thinking about any of our disagreements when I made this thread, I was thinking about something much more complex about humanity on a whole...

It really doesn't matter whether you agree with me or not, I am not here to "change" minds, I am here to help people question them - so just by hearing my contrasting view - I have done my job. Whether you accept it or not is your own choice.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
The OP is actually phenomenal.

This is the kinda stuff that comes from realized beings, enlightened minds. I was too busy soaking up the realism to even think about dissecting and analyzing the piece. 85% are dense close minded material grippers. No wonder this thread didn't get enough shine truth is hard to swallow, fact is most turn and run...''How dare you shatter my happy land bubble!!'''

Anyways OP, quality work my friend, I appreciate that you took the time to write this. Please submit more in the future, I look forward to reading.

top topics

join