It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if the Y2K disaster really did happened?What if the computer programmers failed?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MattC
I never got a chance, back then, to look at any true legacy systems.. although from speaking with my peers i'm kind of glad I didn't. It seems they got even less sleep than I did

I'll tell ya, the higher ups freaked right out and held our feet to the fire. We were forced by them to take down the system (a working 24/7 system with 1,000 terminals, mind you that the entire organization and the public used constantly) and run it up the clock to see what would happen on 1/1/2000. I mean, we knew very well how to recover from a crashed ($1200 300MB) disk, but we had to back up 100%, run it through, test, then restore.

IT was so pissed at the end of it, particularly since not a damn thing went wrong, which we told them ahead of time. Thanks for the memories. Not!

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

It did happen, we are all dead, not many people really know this though.

Our media always over-hypes things, people love to gorge on fear based stories, I doubt anything much would have really happened either way. Life goes on.

At a real push though I reckon this is probably the worst that would have happened...

edit on 17-8-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

Tsk Tsk. Already discussed 11 years ago, archived here on ATS

as the John Titor story....where this time traveler came back to 1998 and fixed the code.

One of his missions. He does mention another, very interesting computer problem that

is much less known: the 2038 unix problem. Future impact: unknown.

(Titor is considered a hoax by many. The 2038 unix problem is real!!)
edit on 8/17/2012 by drphilxr because: added wiki link

new topics

<< 1   >>

join