It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain threatens to storm Ecuador embassy to get Assange

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Diplomatic immunity is a form of legal immunity and a policy held between governments that ensures that diplomats are given safe passage and are considered not susceptible to lawsuit or prosecution under the host country's laws, although theycan still be expelled.

source wiki

Will be intersting to see if this is the path they go down

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Its ok to be mad. His times up though. You seem motivated why don't you lead the masses next and try to take down goverments. Yes I know we're the Great Satan and all that. Have fun at his funeral.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
SO RELEASE THE GODAMN INSURANCE KEY ALREADY!
screw em....I guarantee you they will send the SAS to clean house.......
Jullians aa dead man....collateral damage....
edit on 16-8-2012 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
He broke the terms of his bail in the UK, and entered the embassy, where he hid behind their diplomatic status for months before they considered granting him asylum - which they now have done as a cheap publicity stunt because the British Government said they would look to revoke the status of the embassy to go in an arrest him.

Well...your government will be trying to follow your script so you have that. I'm still wondering why you are calling "cheap publicity" in light of my previous comment regarding it and the implications this issue has for journalists everywhere. Let's not kid anyone here, this is about WikiLeaks. Like the guy or not, he reported information.

A statement was made to the world in 1980 by the UK. You do not, under any circumstances, bite the hand of the British government when it comes to the status of an Embassy on UK soil.

But you can pretty much buy your economy for the right price and control its' fluctuations. If you get caught, apparently there is only a fine that will be balanced out by taxes anyway making the fine not really an imposition anyway. I'll concede that there is more that needs to play out on the LIPOR story but so far that's what I am seeing...

The precedent here will not be allowed to stand, because this week its Assange - next week it could be one of the worlds most wanted terrorists, or arms dealer, or drug dealer, or murderer seeking assistance from a "friendly" embassy.

I was under the impression that our respective governments employed them...

You guys in the states would be happy for people wanted for questioning by US Authorities over there to jump bail and hide in an embassy in Washington? I don't think so.

Context is everything, Capt. Jack Sparrow...

edit on 16/8/12 by neformore because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
SO RELEASE THE GODAMN INSURANCE KEY ALREADY!
screw em....I guarantee you they will send the SAS to clean house.......
Jullians aa dead man....collateral damage....
edit on 16-8-2012 by stirling because: (no reason given)

That's the whole point and why they can't do that. They don't dare. Perhaps HE doesn't even have it, despite what I said earlier......I got to thinking more. He was neck deep in 2010 (when he made the insurance file) in reports of renditions....black prisons in nations the public STILL hasn't heard about.....and how far Government's all over the world would go to get what they need.

Well... What makes more sense..given what he knew? That he keep the key in his head...the head which may become property of a security service while the body attached learns new definitions of torture? Again...it's the world he lived in when he made the file, whatever the reality was...... OR.... Would it have made more sense to have it set up in a way to auto-release only if he gets killed or some other pre-condition is or isn't met?

I was sitting here thinking.....and It took a few minutes to mentally sketch out the set up and steps it would take to have a nameless server in some forgotten place, scanning headlines and obits a couple times a day. If it hits the right pattern or some other condition? Execute step 2.

See what I mean? I'm thinking they can't hurt him..physically anyway...because he probably thought this through and has them check-mated in most ways at the moment.

This better not remain a mysterious file forever. lol... I want whats in my present! Wah!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
This has more to do with Bradley Manning then anything. They want this guy locked away with no credibility.

They want the truth to be locked away with him.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Just seems like a big distraction.

This guy has been on the loose for a long time.

If they wanted him gone he would have been gone and no one would have even notioced.

But it sure does rile the sheep while the global economy keeps on sinking.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I think this is hilarious. Ecuador, really?

Assange is not an Ecuadorian citizen. He's just a common criminal and media whore. Ecuador simply looks foolish.

Think about it. They are hiding out an accused criminal not from their country, in a building not in their country. How smart is that?

When it became obvious that Wikileaks was not a place for whistlblowers, but in fact a politically motivated site and way for Assange to get the attention he craves, I stopped caring about Assange. That and his hanging out with radical Marxists. He is as phony as the day is long and I'm surprised he has any followers left at all.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Some have said that storming the Ecuadorian Embassy could be taken as an act of war... We all know that Ecudaor wont do sh*t about it, they know their hands are tied, they know that Assange will be eventually captured or turned over to the authorities... This is lose-lose for Ecuador... UK is receiving pressure from Sweden and we ALL know they are receiving heavy amounts of pressure from USA...

Assange, if I were you, I would swallow the red pill......... Best of luck, man...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by trysts
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I don't get the whole Julian Assange thing. Wikileaks has never informed me about anything I haven't already assumed. I'm going to stick to my gut feeling about him, which is that he works for some "intelligence" agency, and I can't bring myself to caring about his weird situation.

I'm a lot less interested in Assange and/or what happens to him, and a lot more interested in Britain invading Ecuador to try and get him.

"Under British Law we have the right...."

WTF? Since when is Ecuador under British Rule!?

If I were them I'd have .50Cal guns protruding from every window of that place with a big sign out front that says "just F... try it"

maybe a picture of the Queen hanging upside down, bloodied and cleaved from a rope around her ankle as well, just for good measure.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT

Originally posted by trysts
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I don't get the whole Julian Assange thing. Wikileaks has never informed me about anything I haven't already assumed. I'm going to stick to my gut feeling about him, which is that he works for some "intelligence" agency, and I can't bring myself to caring about his weird situation.

I'm a lot less interested in Assange and/or what happens to him, and a lot more interested in Britain invading Ecuador to try and get him.

"Under British Law we have the right...."

WTF? Since when is Ecuador under British Rule!?

If I were them I'd have .50Cal guns protruding from every window of that place with a big sign out front that says "just F... try it"

maybe a picture of the Queen hanging upside down, bloodied and cleaved from a rope around her ankle as well, just for good measure.

And if i was the UK I would laugh at those tiny little .50Cal guns... UK can wipe that building off the map if they dont comply.... They are not in a position of power right now.. They are on foreign soil and undermanned... Oh yea, and the UK has USA just sitting there waiting to be called in...
edit on 16-8-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Assange is only wanted for questioning, since when do you extradite someone to be questioned. With all that has been spent on this, the entire Swedish government could have been sent to Britain to question him, yet they refuse to send even one or two people.

In my opinion, if Britain storms this embassy, every British Embassy in the world is fair game, and the same goes for all USA Embassies.

All because some corrupt politicians illegal and immoral acts were exposed.

People in this world need to wake up!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I'm not arguing over who has more military might.

I'm saying Britain can go pound sand if they think it's ok to just barge into any country they want and run roughshod over the place.

That goes for any other bully that thinks they can do the same.

They CAN go in there and get him if they really want to, but WILL they? Imagine the mess that would create... like Assange or not, the average person doesn't see him as the second coming of Bin Laden...

The fact that he hasn't been snatched up already has me thi9nking of a previous post here where it was suggested he may have a contingency in place should he be captured and/or killed (with respect to that file being opened up)

Just saying, the situation itself is far more interesting than just the man and the fact somebody wants him.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Well, firstly, the embassy I believe is classed as equador soil, not british soil, hence it is an embassy and has diplomatic protection.

Secondly, what do you think will happen to ALL the british embassys around the world, if they go in guns blazing?
I would bet that every british embassy would get closed down, as britain would have prooven that they do not respect diplomacy, or diplomatic status, and cannot be trusted, and would loose all diplomatic rights worldwide.

Would they want to risk that for 1 person? I dont think so.

Oh, and if america joined in, the same would happen to them.

Losing worldwide embassies would be a big deal

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Okay, this is getting silly and now the UK is the one in the position we Americans usually hold. Arrogance to a dangerous level.

I think it's very CRITICAL to recall the cases of Defectors/Asylum Seekers...both ours overseas getting to a Western Embassy and the other side's over here a few times, making it to one of theirs. It sounds corny with the power of nations these days, but this WAS NOT VIOLATED.

Think back to even the stunt Manuel Noriega pulled in Panama by hiding where he did. That was a little island in the middle of U.S. Combat forces in full invasion mode.....and IT WAS NOT VIOLATED. They just Rock and Rolled everyone to death until he came out.

If Britain actually uses force for a guy like Assange, it's just gone to a whole different level of shattering a precedent of respected boundaries by all nations over things FAR more important than a leak case.

There may very well be cases yet to come that are FAR more important than this......and this protection is needed to SAVE someone. If it's blown now, why should any big nation respect a smaller one's territory at their National Embassy again? This is crazy.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Sweden is no match to the awesomness of scaniae - the worlds most powerfull country. We decide if he should be shipped back to australia (why to the US?) or not.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

If they are making such a major deal over 1 man, its obvious that the 1 man (Assange) has something that they dont want released... I guaranntee you this isnt about a rape case or about the wikileaks files already released, this is likely about something else he probably got his hands on... The US/UK are treating him like an enemy of the state, and depending on the type of info he has in his "vault" they probably want to get their hands on him, torture him a little, to find out exactly what he knows...

I agree that storming an embassy for 1 man never makes sense... unless that 1 man has some KILLER infomation...
edit on 16-8-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
I think the UK Governments position is clear - nobody seems to be questioning the legality and stance of the Ecuadorians who are, for all intents and purposes, harbouring a fugitive from the British Legal system.

Just because Assange has a cult of personality surrounding him doesn't mean that he shouldn't be treated any differently from anyone else facing the allegations in front of him.

Ecuador has determined it's a human rights issue, which makes their stance perfectly legal.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It's no secret that "sovereignty" is a dated concept ripe for the dung pile, according to the big players in this game.

One question is, are those big players ready to light up that part of the board?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
I think this is hilarious. Ecuador, really?

Assange is not an Ecuadorian citizen. He's just a common criminal and media whore. Ecuador simply looks foolish.

Think about it. They are hiding out an accused criminal not from their country, in a building not in their country. How smart is that?

When it became obvious that Wikileaks was not a place for whistlblowers, but in fact a politically motivated site and way for Assange to get the attention he craves, I stopped caring about Assange. That and his hanging out with radical Marxists. He is as phony as the day is long and I'm surprised he has any followers left at all.

He is not a criminal. You are overly ignorant.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join