It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain threatens to storm Ecuador embassy to get Assange

page: 15
<< 12  13  14   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Originally posted by neformore
Its a cheap PR stunt, again, by Assange. Its done exactly what he wanted, and got him on the front page of newspapers around the world.

The man is an attention whore. If he was genuinely ever sitting on anything of importance he'd have been dead a long time ago, and if you don't think that happens ask Dr. David Kelly about it.

The irony is fabulous...Publicity for a show to continue the argument that this story is merely more publicity whoring by Assange. So...publicity whoring begets publicity whoring for a show to discuss the publicity whoring?

Seriously, this is not intended to be derogatory but I couldn't resist pointing this out since I didn't bring it up. I would actually love to have some of the points I brought up pages ago brought up (including the point on how the 'attention whoring' is a possible defense mechanism for wikileaks and Assange) but C'est La Vie...

Have a Great Show!
edit on Sat, 18 Aug 2012 16:10:13 -0500 by MemoryShock because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat, 18 Aug 2012 16:49:47 -0500 by MemoryShock because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Just watched ABC Australia and they are saying Assange will be talking to the media tonight. Will be shown here from 11 AEST.

Most people probably know about this already, but yeah.

Looks like i'll be having a nana nap this afternnon to watch it.

Also

"The Australian Government has confirmed it has had contact with Julian Assange while he has been holed up in the Ecuadorian embassy in London"

www.abc.net.au...
edit on 18-8-2012 by JamesGC because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
The US has said that it does not recognise the concept of 'diplomatic asylum' after Ecuador allowed WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange to remain in Quito's embassy in London.

www.business-standard.com...

Diplomatic asylum... what is the difference between that and political asylum?

I do not believe for one moment that the US does not want to pursue JA and inflict recourse. Also, the countries south of the US border seem to be getting on the same page.

This stuff is starting to read like a Clancy novel, again. JA is losing me though. He would have more of a reputation if he would have released the damning evidence he had against a "major bank". Got a build up and then crickets on that so now I am entertaining the idea this man and his "black card" are a joke. I am sure I'm not alone in this.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I just read this today on bbc website

"Our correspondent says the corridors and lifts inside the building, which is shared with Colombia, are communal and not part of the Ecuadorean embassy so police stationed in these areas could arrest Mr Assange before he appears outside."

www.bbc.co.uk...

So basically not all of the building that the embassies are in are considered part of the Equadorian embassy.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
No sign of him yet , has he bottled out? I think tbh julian should show a few more cohonas ,and face the music re the crimes allegedly committed in sweden , all this hiding is doing him or his case no good and in my opinion he is coming off as a bit of a coward....talk the talk but not walk the walk.....whilst bradley does both , more respect for him to be honest at least he did not run away...

edit hooray only 3 or so hours late he finally shows his face .......
edit on 19-8-2012 by gambon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Let me tell you, if Scotland Yard and Metro Police storm the Ecuador Embassy - ALL South American Embassies will pull out of London AND the UK will loose every bloody corporate contract they have in South America. I know how those South American leaders stick together when necessary.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by JamesGC

Gillard and her Govt can NOT be trusted, proven time and time again. Of course Assange is going to decline any Australian assistance because they would ship him straight to the USA.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I have been following the saga for a few weeks.
The BBC reported here around 11am on Sunday 21st August,that Julian would be making a statement from the Embassy.
Video was shown from a balcony of a workman removing a door.
The statement did not come as expected but his Spanish Lawyer came out and made statements to the effect that he would be filing actions in consideration of protecting Wilileaks and its employees.
There were lots of South American reporters there and Spanish also.
He continued with his speech in Spanish at a request from a Journo.
This went on for some time.

It was only Later that Julian made his speech fropm the balcony using a PA system which had been delivered for the event.

This was covered live.
His main focus appeared to be against the US and a demand to Obama that they cease the "Witch Hunt"
He also referred to the US whistleblower who was still in custody,along with other named.
He mentioned the NYT also.

No mention about the alleged charges in Sweden for the sexual incidents,which the British press have been very quick on questioning.

I willl post some BBC links although I guess they have been posted elsewhere,but maybe updated.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Beeb latest with video of statement by Julian

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by gambon
No sign of him yet , has he bottled out? I think tbh julian should show a few more cohonas ,and face the music re the crimes allegedly committed in sweden.'

That's because he isn't really that intelligent ... he's got money and balls, but lacks stragetic planning.

Sure, I think he planned this to a point. But I think he's playing a game, without knowing how to play the great game at all ... in my opinion, the guy should hire "The devils advocate" and create a media circus around the Swedish case. He'd be able to bust Swedens balls, and damage US-Europe relations for a decade .. he'd be going out with a bang.

But instead of that ... it looks to me, like he's trying to save his own hide ... trying to force "britain" and/or "sweden" into securing his "non-proliferation" or extradiction to the US, or something similar. In which case, he's gonna "shut up", at least about "some" cases.

Nope, don't ask me if I like the guy ... since he got into this mess, he should at least have the guts to finish it properly ... in my opinion, he's chickening out.

The guy is too young, and lacks any true vision ...

edit on 20/8/2012 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by martin3030
Beeb latest with video of statement by Julian

www.bbc.co.uk...

If this is true, then this Assange guy is a bad apple. If banning is his source, then all Assange has done is to incriminate him in this case. Banning, being an American, and a soldier, will face trial and even possible execution for treason in this case.

If Banning is his source, or one of his sources, then Assange isn't doing a good job in protecting them.

As much as the Rape case is a "border scenario", I dislike this Assange guy. Because he's entering a fight, where he's claiming himself to have "honest" intentions, but when it comes down to it ... all he does is protectings his own hiney.

Seriously guys, imagine the US creating a trial against Julian Assange in the US. He's not even an American, and hasn't committed any Espionage as such ... he's embarrassed a lot of governments, but making a trial against him. Wether that's a rape charge, or espionage charge ... that's going to be an outright confirmation, that what he's leaked is accurate. He's going to face a lot of music, and probably even going to face jailtime ... but, what does he want ... does he want to make changes, like Nelson Mandela did, like Ghandi did. Or does he just wanna ride the bus, and be famous ... if he wants to make changes, he's going to have to be willing to walk the line ...to sacrifice himself for the vision, that he claims to have. What better chance, to make sure his message is received across the world, then to have the US crucify him in a trial ... when he has the ability, to have the entire scenario being broadcasted over TV.

No, Mr. Assange this is the cross roads ... one leads to being a martyr, the other leads to being an oil Baron ... which one do you wanna take.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by bjarneorn

Reading back over this thread (not online this weekend) and i think i may have been wrong regarding Assange and Sweden (think you were right now). I still think he should face the music though. Either he is guilty or he isn't and should hang Sweden out to dry. Either way, hiding in the Ecuadorian Embassy is not the right way to go abut it.

I admit though that part of my reasoning may be clouded as i just do not like Assange. Probably based on the disappointment that i associate with Wikileaks (what a total let down that was). However, i have to say that throughout the whole thing, Assange has come across very poorly. And to then shelter in a embassy of a nation that Wikileaks says is corrupt and rife with human abuses smacks somewhat of hypocrisy.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Popcorn time...

reuters.com

The diplomatic standoff over WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange escalated on Wednesday after Britain threatened to raid Ecuador's embassy in London if Quito did not hand over Assange, who has been taking refuge there for two months.

The Ecuadorean government said such an action would be considered a "hostile and intolerable act" as well as a violation of its sovereignty.

"Under British law we can give them a week's notice before entering the premises and the embassy will no longer have diplomatic protection," a Foreign Office spokesman said.

UK wants to send him to Sweden to face charges there, Assange fears that if shipped to Sweden they would in turn send him to the US.. IN the meantime, wikileaks is tweeting that folks should #Protect Assange should the UK storm the Embassy...

edit on Wed, 15 Aug 2012 22:16:08 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

Honestly, I will not lie, I am not too well read up on this whole case, and I have never visited wikileaks and basically know not much about any of this besides a few minor points.

My question is, I understand all these governments are really pissed at him for basically running a website that impedes OPSEC. That in itself, I believe, is almost like "harboring or aiding a fugitive" so to speak. But what is his crime again in Sweden? Something about a rape or child support or something?

Sorry I'm confused....

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Poveglia

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Popcorn time...

reuters.com

The diplomatic standoff over WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange escalated on Wednesday after Britain threatened to raid Ecuador's embassy in London if Quito did not hand over Assange, who has been taking refuge there for two months.

The Ecuadorean government said such an action would be considered a "hostile and intolerable act" as well as a violation of its sovereignty.

"Under British law we can give them a week's notice before entering the premises and the embassy will no longer have diplomatic protection," a Foreign Office spokesman said.

UK wants to send him to Sweden to face charges there, Assange fears that if shipped to Sweden they would in turn send him to the US.. IN the meantime, wikileaks is tweeting that folks should #Protect Assange should the UK storm the Embassy...

edit on Wed, 15 Aug 2012 22:16:08 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

Honestly, I will not lie, I am not too well read up on this whole case, and I have never visited wikileaks and basically know not much about any of this besides a few minor points.

My question is, I understand all these governments are really pissed at him for basically running a website that impedes OPSEC. That in itself, I believe, is almost like "harboring or aiding a fugitive" so to speak. But what is his crime again in Sweden? Something about a rape or child support or something?

Sorry I'm confused....

You're right to be, as there's lots of conflicting information floating around.

But to answer your last questions, he has not been accused of committing any crime in Sweden. He has been requested for questioning regarding a possible alleged offence. It should be noted that none of the two involved women has made such allegations. A prosecutor found out and decided to initiate the process himself.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terminal1
The US has said that it does not recognise the concept of 'diplomatic asylum' after Ecuador allowed WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange to remain in Quito's embassy in London.

Not many nations recognise diplomatic immunity and it's not part of international law. Ecuador is just making this overly political.

It is after all about extradition of Assange for alleged sex crimes - which he failed to mention as he strutted his ego to his supporters and the world press. One would have thought from what Assange said that the situation was different. He's hifing in the Embassy because Sweden want to talk to him for serios sex offences.

And no one is going to storm the Ecuadorian embassy. It's all political exaggeration and game playing and Assange is having a laugh because what he (the Angel of Truth) is not doing is challenging the lies or truths of the two alleged victims of sex crimes he was a party to.

Regards

edit on 21/8/2012 by paraphi because: Just add context

top topics

<< 12  13  14   >>

join